Spring Football

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
STILLWATER -- There aren’t many ways for Justice Hill to be more efficient this year -- running the football.

The Oklahoma State junior averaged 5.5 yards per rush last season, went over 100 yards eight times and scored in all but three games. A large workload didn’t bother him, either; He went for 228 yards against Oklahoma in the last of his three 30-carry games.

Even still, Hill has found a place for improvement this spring.
Link

tmcats

Wrangler
Feb 13, 2014
not that it makes it better for poke fans but welcome to the quiet world of bill snyder. we never hear a damn thing other than the boys have intrinsic values. lol. i have no clue how good or bad this year's team might be until they start playing for real. sounds like oSu fans are in the same boat.

Nov 6, 2010
not that it makes it better for poke fans but welcome to the quiet world of bill snyder. we never hear a damn thing other than the boys have intrinsic values. lol. i have no clue how good or bad this year's team might be until they start playing for real. sounds like oSu fans are in the same boat.
Hell it's worse than that for you guys. Seems you lose to ND State or someone early in the year, but then end up competing for the conference championship by the end. I swear I think Kstate is only one dynamic dual threat QB away from winning it again. Would be very interesting to see Hurts transfer from Bama to Kstate.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Latest from Mark Cooper...

Oklahoma State fans will flock to Boone Pickens Stadium on Saturday for the chance to meet their favorite players and get their signatures on the turf after the game.

The spectacle of the spring game is bigger than the actual “game” itself. But it does offer the first public glimpse at this OSU team this spring, as each of the 13 practices to date have been closed.

So it bears the question: Will the production on the field Saturday hold any meaning come August?

Here’s a look at standouts from OSU’s last three spring games and how they performed in the next season.
Link

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
During the Cowboys’ 1 p.m. exercise at Boone Pickens Stadium on Saturday, the temperature is expected to be in the 70s, the wind is expected to be light and the sky is expected to be mostly clear.

What Oklahoma State does not get is an additional season of Mason Rudolph’s big-play passing and leadership.

The first round of the NFL draft occurs Thursday, and the second and third rounds take place Friday. So by 1 p.m. Saturday, Rudolph already will be in his NFL home, with his NFL coaches.

For the first time since Jan. 3, 2014 — when the 2013 Cowboys ended their season with a Cotton Bowl loss to Missouri — there will be a publicly witnessed Oklahoma State football event that doesn’t involve or include the presence of Rudolph, the only OSU QB to record three 10-win finishes.

Instead, the spring game will involve quarterbacks Taylor Cornelius and Keondre Wudtee — neither of whom has taken a meaningful game snap.
Link

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Hill averaged a little over 25 touches per game in conference play last season. That number would've been even higher if we didn't blow out Baylor and Kansas. I have no doubt he'll get the ball a lot next year. Hopefully he'll have an offense around him good enough to keep defenses from keying on him.

The more I hear about Coach Knowles, the more I like. I've heard practice has been more physical and that we're doing a lot of new drills emphasizing using our hands & arms to wrap up and secure the tackle. Hopefully we'll see a more fundamentally sound defense next year.
Something tells me there will be more carries to go around this year.
Besides, if he breaks many of the carries for touchdowns then that means he's gonna average a ton per carry and score a lot. *runaway*

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
I was just about to do that, but your post appears to have an error in it, so please everyone follow Mark Cooper on Twitter so I don't feel bad about just quoting him...

Just finished up with Mike Gundy. Saturday’s #OKState spring game will be a scrimmage between offense and defense, rather than splitting into two teams. QB Keondre Wudtee will miss the spring game with a bruise, so OSU is limited at quarterback.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
STILLWATER — With only two quarterbacks healthy for Saturday’s spring game, Oklahoma State will not divide into two teams and will instead close its spring session with an offense-vs.-defense scrimmage.

Cowboys coach Mike Gundy revealed the format for Saturday before Wednesday’s penultimate practice of spring.

With sophomore quarterback Keondre Wudtee out with a bruised shoulder/sternum and Taylor Cornelius and John Kolar the only other quarterbacks on the roster, Gundy said it did not make sense to split into “orange” and “white” rosters.
Link

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
A few spring football updates from Mark Cooper...

Losing Kevin Henry for the season hurt OSU’s depth at linebacker — he was one of the Cowboys’ top backups — and prematurely ended what looked like a promising campaign for Henry.

After making 18 tackles as a redshirt freshman in 2016, he was primed to contribute.

“He would have made plays on defense and special teams,” linebacker Justin Phillips said.

Henry said he’s still trying to regain the explosiveness he had before the injury. Occasionally, he’ll feel soreness, but he said he is learning to play past it.
Link

Oklahoma State should have three starters with experience on its offensive line in 2018.

Guard Larry Williams, who missed most of the last two seasons because of injuries, has been granted a sixth season of eligibility from the NCAA.
Link