Spring Football

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Dec 20, 2010
South Tulsa
Hill needs at least 20 touches per game.
I don’t think that’s true. At least one of the backups should be able to fill in without any subsequent drop in production. Gundy has already said he expects Hill to enter the draft after next season. I think he wants to ensure that Hill isn’t too banged up to hurt his draft stock. Our program’s recruiting could definitely benefit from a former OSU RB who is currently playing in the NFL. After Joseph Randall went mental and Kendall Hunter had his career end, we’ve not had anyone to point to, the way we’ve been able to point to Dez Bryant at WR.

As such, there is no need to over use Justice. We’re loaded at RB.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I don’t think that’s true. At least one of the backups should be able to fill in without any subsequent drop in production. Gundy has already said he expects Hill to enter the draft after next season. I think he wants to ensure that Hill isn’t too banged up to hurt his draft stock. Our program’s recruiting could definitely benefit from a former OSU RB who is currently playing in the NFL. After Joseph Randall went mental and Kendall Hunter had his career end, we’ve not had anyone to point to, the way we’ve been able to point to Dez Bryant at WR.

As such, there is no need to over use Justice. We’re loaded at RB.
Not to mention Hill is certainly going to be a 3rd down back / returner in the NFL. Heck, I could see a team turning him into a Tyreek Hill or Christian McCaffrey type. Just put him anywhere and get the ball to him in space. He doesn't have the size to be a early down workhorse in the NFL.

To your point, I totally agree. Not just for Hill's sake, but for the sake of our young guys. We need to get them a LOT of touches - especially early in the season to build up their experience / confidence. I think we should try to keep Hill in the 15-18 touch per game range and only get him over 20 if needed in some crucial conference game.

Sep 20, 2017
Texas
Don’t you think King and Hubbard can contribute enough to keep Hill fresh for the latter part of games when he can do the most damage?
I think putting a number on a RB can and does make them unhappy when it’s under 20. But yes, our backups are capable and with the addition of Chuba, we will still have a home run threat. However, as @PokeJ mentioned, the game flow will dictate what happens. I want Hill in the Heisman race and I’m sure he would like that as well. Don’t think he gets there with 16 touches per game. He is the best playmaker we have. I don’t think limiting his touches helps our chances. In fact, I think it hurts us. Given we do need to keep him fresh like you mentioned, but 16 or fewer touches is limiting our offense IMO...especially with an unproven QB without the assistance of Washington and Ateman. I feel we will need to run more this year, so saying we want to limit our Best option at RB and most dynamic playmaker is a bit ridiculous.

Could you imagine a coach saying he wanted to limit Barry Sanders touches? We’ll, Gundy probably would try to...EVERYONE knew he(Barry) was going pro after his JR year so we got the most out of him because he was THE MAN. He had like 375 touches his last year. Granted his touches were limited in his earlier years. I just think 16 is too low....because like I said, he has the ability and experience to take it to the house on any given play. He needs on average 20/game IMO which is less than last year.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2008
And THIS ^^ is what separates the gooners/stoops/riley from Gundy. Gundy is very conservative to a detriment. Why would you ever say a cap number on carries. Why does it matter. I bet it looks really really good to the 5 star RB we had in from Houston. Gundy needs to quit being the protector and trying to manage through a season and just go all-in and have that Holgy/Monken supreme confidence. Go for the freaking throat not tiptoeing to the finish line (winning by 3 most games on the road)

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
I have two updates for you all from this weekend...

Kenneth Edison-McGruder moves back to safety, the position where he began his Oklahoma State career

STILLWATER — In a way, Kenneth Edison-McGruder’s Oklahoma State career has come full circle.

In Jim Knowles’ 4-2-5 defense, which includes three safeties as part of a five-man secondary, Edison-McGruder is back to where he began. The 6-foot, 220-pound senior, who spent last season at star linebacker for OSU, is now playing the safety role known within the defense as the “bandit.”

It’s where the Houston native began his Oklahoma State career as a true freshman backing up Jordan Sterns and Tre Flowers.
Marcus Keyes, Dylan Galloway sitting out spring after shoulder clean-ups

STILLWATER -- Oklahoma State's offensive line is lacking in numbers this spring.
Already without three starters from last year and with a fourth, Larry Williams, awaiting word from the NCAA on if he'll be eligible next season, OSU is without starting guard Marcus Keyes and sophomore tackle Dylan Galloway for the spring session, Mike Gundy said Friday.

"We cleaned up some shoulders on those guys, just general wear-and-tear, and so they’re not going to go through spring," he said.

Keyes, a junior from Port Allen, Louisiana, has been Oklahoma State's starter at left guard the past two seasons. Galloway, who is from Coppell, Texas, figures to compete for one of the openings on OSU's line.
I likely say this often here, but highly recommend following @mark_cooperjr on Twitter for Oklahoma State football updates this offseason. If you are not the tweeting type and just want to be e-mail alerted everytime he writes a new OSU sports story, click here and then click the green button that says "follow sports writer Mark Cooper"

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
We have a gallery of photos from the opening of spring practice here.

I thought Bill Haisten's column about Mike Gundy's Justice Hill comments warranted its own thread but in case you click this thread first, here's a link to that.

Gundy’s somewhat surprising prediction: Hill will be a Cowboy for two more seasons. He will want to graduate before he leaves for the NFL, Gundy stated.

If that is the case, and if the 5-foot-10, 190-pound Hill remains healthy, he would take aim at a tremendous distinction: He would have a chance to break Thurman Thomas’ 31-year-old program for career rushing yards. In 1984-87, Thomas ran for 5,001.

“It would be a good career goal when it’s all said and done,” Hill said, “but it’s not something I worry about at the moment.”
Also, I am giving updates on the teacher walkout over on your politics forum, but since he addressed it during spring football, here's a link on Coach Gundy's comments regarding Oklahoma teachers.

EDIT: Guerin Emig's latest column is also on Coach Gundy's post-practice comments.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Thank you for the head's up. I've contacted the photojournalist and Mark to clarify captions.

Update: Photo No. 13 was Taylor Cornelius, photo No. 25 was Matt Kegel. Thank you once again for your sharp eyes. The captions were just updated.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2006
And THIS ^^ is what separates the gooners/stoops/riley from Gundy. Gundy is very conservative to a detriment. Why would you ever say a cap number on carries. Why does it matter. I bet it looks really really good to the 5 star RB we had in from Houston. Gundy needs to quit being the protector and trying to manage through a season and just go all-in and have that Holgy/Monken supreme confidence. Go for the freaking throat not tiptoeing to the finish line (winning by 3 most games on the road)
Maybe that sounds better to a 5-star recruit and his family than "we are going to shorten your career and run you into the ground" ...

Oct 30, 2007
Hill needs at least 20 touches per game.
Hill averaged a little over 25 touches per game in conference play last season. That number would've been even higher if we didn't blow out Baylor and Kansas. I have no doubt he'll get the ball a lot next year. Hopefully he'll have an offense around him good enough to keep defenses from keying on him.

The more I hear about Coach Knowles, the more I like. I've heard practice has been more physical and that we're doing a lot of new drills emphasizing using our hands & arms to wrap up and secure the tackle. Hopefully we'll see a more fundamentally sound defense next year.

Jostate

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Hill averaged a little over 25 touches per game in conference play last season. That number would've been even higher if we didn't blow out Baylor and Kansas. I have no doubt he'll get the ball a lot next year. Hopefully he'll have an offense around him good enough to keep defenses from keying on him.

The more I hear about Coach Knowles, the more I like. I've heard practice has been more physical and that we're doing a lot of new drills emphasizing using our hands & arms to wrap up and secure the tackle. Hopefully we'll see a more fundamentally sound defense next year.
Something tells me there will be more carries to go around this year.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
The 2018 Cowboys go to battle with a rebuilt group at the point of attack, and yet coach Mike Gundy offered a fairly bold statement last week: “I would be shocked if our offensive line play isn’t better than it was last year.”

What does that mean? Might the 2018 Cowboy line resemble the lines of 2006-12, when OSU units were consistently excellent?

A comparison of four-season snapshots best illustrates the prolonged slump on the offensive line.
Link

Also, Guerin Emig talked OSU spring practice music, Justice Hill and OSU baseball in his Sunday column. Link

Mike Gundy was prattling on about Chuba Hubbard, LD Brown and Oklahoma State’s running back depth last Wednesday, when suddenly the first tune on the Cowboys’ spring practice playlist went blaring out over the Sherman Smith Center.

OSU baseball coach Josh Holliday tweeted a picture of a Pizza Shuttle box over the weekend, with the message: “To all those who grew up in Stillwater or attended college on our great campus — this is happening right now.”

Jostate

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Link

The 2018 Cowboys go to battle with a rebuilt group at the point of attack, and yet coach Mike Gundy offered a fairly bold statement last week: “I would be shocked if our offensive line play isn’t better than it was last year.”
A few years ago Gundy's off season quote was something about the team having no real weaknesses. Followed by a season where we discovered our O-line was horrible and paper thin. Then last year Gundy said we would be sending receivers deep every play and swapping them out a few at a time like a hockey team, which also never happened.

I'm afraid I'm putting this statement by Gundy in the same category until proven otherwise.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
A few years ago Gundy's off season quote was something about the team having no real weaknesses. Followed by a season where we discovered our O-line was horrible and paper thin. Then last year Gundy said we would be sending receivers deep every play and swapping them out a few at a time like a hockey team, which also never happened.

I'm afraid I'm putting this statement by Gundy in the same category until proven otherwise.
So, in reality Gundy won’t be surprised when the offensive line is better than last year. I guess that’s good.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
Not to mention Hill is certainly going to be a 3rd down back / returner in the NFL. Heck, I could see a team turning him into a Tyreek Hill or Christian McCaffrey type. Just put him anywhere and get the ball to him in space. He doesn't have the size to be a early down workhorse in the NFL.

To your point, I totally agree. Not just for Hill's sake, but for the sake of our young guys. We need to get them a LOT of touches - especially early in the season to build up their experience / confidence. I think we should try to keep Hill in the 15-18 touch per game range and only get him over 20 if needed in some crucial conference game.
Wrong. Justice Hill is special. I think he'll be 3rd best rb in OSU history. Behind only Thurman and Sanders. He's that good.