Spring Ball

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jan 14, 2006
I'm heading to Stillwater Saturday. Does anybody think we'll actually see the QBs in any kind of competition? I get that they don't have the depth at some positions to put on a full game, but I'm going to be disappointed if they don't scrimmage at least a little.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
A few updates, first from Bill Haisten on former Bixby standout Bryce Bray...

STILLWATER — Mike Gundy has been consistent on his opinion of offensive linemen.

“In most cases,” the Oklahoma State coach says, “those guys aren’t ready to play until their third season in the program.”

Apparently, Bryce Bray is not a “most cases” type of Cowboy.

As a member of Bixby teams that recorded a four-season total of 39 victories and won three state titles, Bray was a force at left offensive tackle. When Oklahoma State opens the 2019 season at Oregon State, the former Spartan could be at left tackle for the Cowboys.

What a tremendous opportunity for the 6-foot-5, 300-pound Bray. As a redshirt freshman, and only 11 months removed his graduation from Bixby High School, he has a chance to become a fixture at a very important position.

Bray’s football life began when he was a lineman on the Bixby Blue second-grade team. His mother, Christy Bray, was there for every game that season, and for every game since.

On Tuesday, she purchased plane tickets for a trip to Oregon and her son’s college football debut.

“We’re excited and nervous and happy,” Christy Bray said. “It’s always been so fun to watch him play, and now to see him play for OSU, at this level — it’s amazing.”
And from Kelly Hines, Mike Gundy talks about his new offensive coordinator...

STILLWATER — With a new coordinator for a second year in a row, head coach Mike Gundy is taking full advantage of the Oklahoma State spring-practice period.

While the Cowboys are gearing up for the 2019 season, first-year offensive coordinator Sean Gleeson and the rest of the coaches have been communicating on headsets during recent practices, a move that should make the transition to games relatively seamless come fall.

“I needed to see Sean operate the tempo of our offense without a script,” Gundy said last week. “We’ve been on the headphones for the past six practices, for the majority of those practices. We’re going to do it all the way through (the spring).

“I should have done it last year or should have always done it in the spring. I think it’s really good for the coaches, but we’ve never done it because I’ve had the same guys here for so long. You just kind of get used to doing the same stuff, but I think it’s been beneficial for the organization.”

Nov 30, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I'm heading to Stillwater Saturday. Does anybody think we'll actually see the QBs in any kind of competition? I get that they don't have the depth at some positions to put on a full game, but I'm going to be disappointed if they don't scrimmage at least a little.
I wanted to attend, but it's Easter weekend and we are having a 90th birthday party for my dad. I would think the competition should be in full swing since it will be a new QB.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Bill Haisten following up on OSU's worst season of penalties under Mike Gundy...

At 45.5 yards per game, the 2017 Cowboys were the least-penalized of Gundy’s 14 teams.

At 70.5 yards per game, last season’s Cowboys were the most self-destructive.

“(Officials) are watching everything,” Gundy explained. “There are repercussions for penalties. It’s talked about. It’s coached. That’s the only way you can fix things, right? You address it, come up with a plan and put it in order.

“It’s our job to make (the players) aware of it. It’s our job to have discipline and structure, and to have a plan for stopping it, and then they’ve got to go do it.”

“I didn’t address it well enough last year, and I let it slide,” Gundy said Wednesday. “It was a mistake. I’m not letting it happen now. We’ll see if it works.”
A few other OSU notes:

- The NFL Draft is now one week away. Here's our Justice Hill gallery (OSU and Tulsa BTW photos)

- From Jimmie Tramel: Remember the 10: Here's a by-the-numbers breakdown of annual benefit run in Stillwater

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
From Bill Haisten: At $550,000, new OSU play-caller Sean Gleeson wins career lottery

Gundy’s memory of the deal-closing moment: “When I realized that I wanted him to take the job — when I started to drive the conversation that way — he said, ‘There is no decision. If you offer the job, I’ll take it.’ ”

In regard to his professional status and bank account, Sean Gleeson won the lottery that day.

Oklahoma State has not announced the details of Gleeson’s contract, but it is believed his first-year pay amounts to $550,000. He by far is the highest-paid, first-year offensive coordinator in program history. And, at 6-foot-5, the tallest.

“I’m a former quarterback,” Gleeson said. “I’m a quarterback (coach) on offense. There’s no better place in the country to be an offensive coach than here. That’s what excited me.”

Previous Gundy offensive coordinators were Larry Fedora, who in 2005 commanded a first-year salary of $200,000; Dana Holgorsen, hired in 2010 at $360,000; Todd Monken, hired in 2011 at $400,000; and Mike Yurcich, hired in 2013 at $400,000.

For Fedora, Holgorsen and Monken, employment at OSU was a gateway to head-coaching gigs. For Yurcich, it led to a job at Ohio State.

“As it turns out,” Gundy said, “I’ve been pretty good at hiring (offensive coordinators) here.”

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Any comment on the spring scrimmages?
SS looks very athletic but will have some bumps as he learns
DB looks polished but definetly not as athletic.
Both had some nice passes and INT

OL looked good pass blocking. Was impossible to tell anything about the run game.
Chuba was still fast - disclosed that he had a little "procedure" on his knee.

All WRs looked pretty good- Wallace, Stoner, Moore stood out. Shepard looks good physically.

Can't be, but Woods looks even bigger at TE/CW than he did last year.

Thomas Harper #10 is a freak athlete. He looked right at home with the upper-classmen. He was fielding punts.
Expect to be impressed.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO

OL looked good pass blocking. Was impossible to tell anything about the run game.

All WRs looked pretty good- Wallace, Stoner, Moore stood out. Shepard looks good physically.

Thomas Harper #10 is a freak athlete. He looked right at home with the upper-classmen. He was fielding punts.
Expect to be impressed.
If it's even close, go with SS, deal with Freshman mistakes, & have your QB for the next 3 years.

Not a fan of the prospect of having a 3rd new starting QB for a 3rd year in a row, if Brown wins the job, but that's just me.

Now, if Gleason's anywhere as good as Riley with 1st year QB's, that's a different story.

Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas

Expect to be impressed.
On SS - He will just need to learn there are a few things he could get away with in HS that he will not be able to do at this level (late throws back over the middle being one) and he will be fine.

Jun 12, 2018
Cali
If it's even close, go with SS, deal with Freshman mistakes, & have your QB for the next 3 years.

Not a fan of the prospect of having a 3rd new starting QB for a 3rd year in a row, if Brown wins the job, but that's just me.

Now, if Gleason's anywhere as good as Riley with 1st year QB's, that's a different story.
I’m sure the current seniors will want the best QB NOW to be starting. I’ll bet the players already know which QB gives them the best chance to win now.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Here's our coverage from the Spring Game...

OSU spring finale superlatives: A look at the day's best performances, including A.J. Green and Tom Hulton

Play of the day

During the 7-on-7 portion, quarterback Spencer Sanders delivered a pass 40 yards down the field. The play would have resulted in a long touchdown catch by Tylan Wallace, if not for an athletic breakup by cornerback A.J. Green.

Best performance

Green, a senior who’s a third-year starter, was solid in the secondary throughout the practice, and he also intercepted a short throw from Dru Brown in the end zone during a two-minute drill.
OSU spring finale notebook: LC Greenwood changes positions from WR to LB

After spending the past two years with the Oklahoma State receiving corps, LC Greenwood has changed positions to linebacker.

Greenwood, a third-year sophomore, played in three games last season but didn’t record any statistics. He was Scout’s No. 21 wide receiver prospect out of high school but also played linebacker.

“He came in and wanted to make the move,” Cowboys coach Mike Gundy said. “He felt like that maybe he had hit a dead end at the wideout spot, so he wanted to make a move to the other side of the ball.”
Bill Haisten: What's the key to a 10-win season for OSU? Getting nasty.

Don’t confuse nasty football for dirty football. Dirty football is stupid and counterproductive. The results are big penalties and ejections.

Nasty football is defined by relentless physicality. Two of Gundy’s better teams – the 2008 and 2011 Cowboys – had that nasty personality.

Watch video of OSU’s 2011 victory at Texas A&M. During the second half, after having rallied from a 20-3 deficit, OSU’s offensive line demoralized the Aggies.

Brandon Weeden and Justin Blackmon commanded the headlines during that 91-degree afternoon, but the Cowboys won 30-29 because their offensive linemen punished A&M defenders.

That physical personality drove those Cowboys to the Big 12 title.
Mike Gundy on OSU's spring finale: 'It was a very beneficial day for us'

“It was a very beneficial day for us in a lot of different ways,” coach Mike Gundy said. “For me personally, it was interesting watching some of the young players that hadn’t been out in front of a crowd compete in our system, just to watch how they reacted. Overall, it was a great day for us.”

The ongoing quarterback battle between grad transfer Dru Brown and redshirt freshman Spencer Sanders was a main draw for the Cowboy faithful, and the pair split reps while showcasing some of their abilities. It was not a flawless performance for either, but both displayed potential for moving the ball down the field.

“I thought they were effective in running our system,” Gundy said. “It’s easier for me to say what I don’t like. I don’t like when they’re backing up, throwing the ball. That’s when they get into trouble. They have to learn the speed of the game. ... They still have a (mindset of), ‘I’m going to make something out of nothing.’ They’ve got to get out of that and play in our system.”
After losing six players, OSU's defensive line remains a work in progress

STILLWATER — The defensive line was one of Oklahoma State’s biggest question marks heading into the spring practice period, and it will take more than 15 practices to find the answers.

“They’re young, they’re immature and they don’t have any experience,” coach Mike Gundy said after Saturday’s Orange Blitz. “That will be a work in progress. Every year you have positions that you hope they get better each week and then when you get into conference play that they’re playing at a level of 75-80 percent.

“Are they going to be at a point where they played as effective as our guys last year? No, they’re too young and they’re too immature. But they should continue to get better and hopefully they’ll play better earlier than what we think.”

Expectations aren’t high because the Cowboys lost six players who combined for 107 career starts, and those guys will be replaced with an unproven group that has a total of zero starts for OSU.

“Veteran players are guys that have a lot of experience in games and we don’t really have many guys that have that experience,” Gundy said. “They’re all young from that standpoint. They’ve worked hard in the weight room. They’ve developed their bodies.

“I’m hoping the numbers we have will allow them to have enough stamina to play hard, to make up for what Darrion Daniels did or (Jordan) Brailford or Cole Walterscheid. Those guys were good, solid players. Hopefully the numbers that we have here will allow us to get back into that sometime in late September, October.”
60+ photos from the game. One of my favorites...
catch.jpg