Spring Ball

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jan 14, 2006
I'm heading to Stillwater Saturday. Does anybody think we'll actually see the QBs in any kind of competition? I get that they don't have the depth at some positions to put on a full game, but I'm going to be disappointed if they don't scrimmage at least a little.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
A few updates, first from Bill Haisten on former Bixby standout Bryce Bray...

STILLWATER — Mike Gundy has been consistent on his opinion of offensive linemen.

“In most cases,” the Oklahoma State coach says, “those guys aren’t ready to play until their third season in the program.”

Apparently, Bryce Bray is not a “most cases” type of Cowboy.

As a member of Bixby teams that recorded a four-season total of 39 victories and won three state titles, Bray was a force at left offensive tackle. When Oklahoma State opens the 2019 season at Oregon State, the former Spartan could be at left tackle for the Cowboys.

What a tremendous opportunity for the 6-foot-5, 300-pound Bray. As a redshirt freshman, and only 11 months removed his graduation from Bixby High School, he has a chance to become a fixture at a very important position.

Bray’s football life began when he was a lineman on the Bixby Blue second-grade team. His mother, Christy Bray, was there for every game that season, and for every game since.

On Tuesday, she purchased plane tickets for a trip to Oregon and her son’s college football debut.

“We’re excited and nervous and happy,” Christy Bray said. “It’s always been so fun to watch him play, and now to see him play for OSU, at this level — it’s amazing.”
And from Kelly Hines, Mike Gundy talks about his new offensive coordinator...

STILLWATER — With a new coordinator for a second year in a row, head coach Mike Gundy is taking full advantage of the Oklahoma State spring-practice period.

While the Cowboys are gearing up for the 2019 season, first-year offensive coordinator Sean Gleeson and the rest of the coaches have been communicating on headsets during recent practices, a move that should make the transition to games relatively seamless come fall.

“I needed to see Sean operate the tempo of our offense without a script,” Gundy said last week. “We’ve been on the headphones for the past six practices, for the majority of those practices. We’re going to do it all the way through (the spring).

“I should have done it last year or should have always done it in the spring. I think it’s really good for the coaches, but we’ve never done it because I’ve had the same guys here for so long. You just kind of get used to doing the same stuff, but I think it’s been beneficial for the organization.”

Nov 30, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I'm heading to Stillwater Saturday. Does anybody think we'll actually see the QBs in any kind of competition? I get that they don't have the depth at some positions to put on a full game, but I'm going to be disappointed if they don't scrimmage at least a little.
I wanted to attend, but it's Easter weekend and we are having a 90th birthday party for my dad. I would think the competition should be in full swing since it will be a new QB.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Bill Haisten following up on OSU's worst season of penalties under Mike Gundy...

At 45.5 yards per game, the 2017 Cowboys were the least-penalized of Gundy’s 14 teams.

At 70.5 yards per game, last season’s Cowboys were the most self-destructive.

“(Officials) are watching everything,” Gundy explained. “There are repercussions for penalties. It’s talked about. It’s coached. That’s the only way you can fix things, right? You address it, come up with a plan and put it in order.

“It’s our job to make (the players) aware of it. It’s our job to have discipline and structure, and to have a plan for stopping it, and then they’ve got to go do it.”

“I didn’t address it well enough last year, and I let it slide,” Gundy said Wednesday. “It was a mistake. I’m not letting it happen now. We’ll see if it works.”
A few other OSU notes:

- The NFL Draft is now one week away. Here's our Justice Hill gallery (OSU and Tulsa BTW photos)

- From Jimmie Tramel: Remember the 10: Here's a by-the-numbers breakdown of annual benefit run in Stillwater

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
From Bill Haisten: At $550,000, new OSU play-caller Sean Gleeson wins career lottery

Gundy’s memory of the deal-closing moment: “When I realized that I wanted him to take the job — when I started to drive the conversation that way — he said, ‘There is no decision. If you offer the job, I’ll take it.’ ”

In regard to his professional status and bank account, Sean Gleeson won the lottery that day.

Oklahoma State has not announced the details of Gleeson’s contract, but it is believed his first-year pay amounts to $550,000. He by far is the highest-paid, first-year offensive coordinator in program history. And, at 6-foot-5, the tallest.

“I’m a former quarterback,” Gleeson said. “I’m a quarterback (coach) on offense. There’s no better place in the country to be an offensive coach than here. That’s what excited me.”

Previous Gundy offensive coordinators were Larry Fedora, who in 2005 commanded a first-year salary of $200,000; Dana Holgorsen, hired in 2010 at $360,000; Todd Monken, hired in 2011 at $400,000; and Mike Yurcich, hired in 2013 at $400,000.

For Fedora, Holgorsen and Monken, employment at OSU was a gateway to head-coaching gigs. For Yurcich, it led to a job at Ohio State.

“As it turns out,” Gundy said, “I’ve been pretty good at hiring (offensive coordinators) here.”