Spring Ball

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
From Bill Haisten...

After having spent 24 years on the other side of the OSU-OU wall, Gary Gibbs now is a second-year Oklahoma State defensive contributor. It is presumed that the former Sooners head man is an OSU analyst, but, apparently, he doesn’t have an official designation.

In OSU media guides, Gibbs isn’t listed with other staff members, and yet Gundy describes him as having been impactful.

“Coach Gibbs is regarded by a lot of people as one of the best defensive minds in football,” the Oklahoma State head coach said. “He looks and communicates things to me. I don’t see defense like I do offense. He’s involved in helping our coaches. Jim (defensive coordinator Jim Knowles) is wanting Gary to be involved.

“If coach Gibbs sees something with the cornerbacks or with the linebackers or the line, he has the freedom to walk over and make a suggestion. He’s doing for me what all of those (analysts) do for Nick Saban at Alabama. I just think (Gibbs) is a guy we can trust.”

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
From Kelly Hines...

STILLWATER — Through almost three weeks of spring practice, Oklahoma State has installed the majority of its new offense under first-year coordinator and quarterbacks coach Sean Gleeson.

“Most of what we’re going to do is probably already in,” coach Mike Gundy said after practice Wednesday night. “We’ll be pretty simple. We’re going to run the same plays we’ve always run, but we won’t be as out there as we have been based on (the fact) we’re inexperienced at quarterback.”

For the first time since 2012, the Cowboys will open the season with a starting quarterback who has not thrown a pass in an OSU uniform. Expectations at the position have been high in recent history, with the Cowboys ranking among the top 10 nationally in passing offense in each of the past four seasons.

Oct 30, 2007
We just picked up defensive end Kyle Junior as a grad transfer from Bowling Green. He looks like a productive player. He should help our depth next season on the defensive line. :thumbup:

https://247sports.com/college/oklah...e-Junior-committed-Oklahoma-State--130921556/
It became public back on March 8 that Junior was on the NCAA Transfer Portal and leaving Bowling Green as he led the Falcons last season in tackles for loss with six. He was also the leading tackler on the defensive line and fifth overall in tackles with 48 total stops. A red-shirt junior last season, Junior had two sacks and also had a fumble recovery against Central Michigan that helped clinch the Falcon's first conference win this past season. The 6-4, 271 pound Junior listed Political Science as his major at Bowling Green where he will graduate and he will have many Masters degree options to chose from at Oklahoma State.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
An update on former Union (Tulsa) standout CJ Moore from Kelly Hines...

Although it’s early in his Oklahoma State career, former Union receiver C.J. Moore is drawing some nice comparisons.

“He is kind of in that Marcell Ateman role,” Cowboys coach Mike Gundy said last week. “He is nowhere near where Ateman was when he finished, (but) has some of the skills Ateman had early in his career.

“He’s not as physical … but that’s the point and direction we want him to go and we need him to be there by October. That might be a push, but it’s a nice goal for us.”

Ateman was an integral part of the Cowboys’ offense in 2015 and 2017, using his 6-foot-4, 220-pound frame to make big plays down the field. Moore, who is listed at 6-5, spent his redshirt season last fall putting on valuable weight.

“His biggest addition is 25 pounds,” Gundy said. “He came in here at about a buck-58. I think he’s 185 now, something like that. That’s helped him considerably.”

Dec 21, 2008
Gundy knows that having QB "controversies" just creates distractions and dissension on the team. SS will have the higher upside but he has 4 more months to not turn it over and force stuff. With the new OC, I bet we get many 2 QB sets, throw back passes, option type passes etc. When the media keeps hammering him on QB issues, he gives the Westbrook approach of sarcasm, disinterest, and may the best man win answer. He has learned to deal with media and 4 months from now they will be a different team. I am hearing vocality amongst leaders has been a big focus

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Gundy knows that having QB "controversies" just creates distractions and dissension on the team. SS will have the higher upside but he has 4 more months to not turn it over and force stuff. With the new OC, I bet we get many 2 QB sets, throw back passes, option type passes etc. When the media keeps hammering him on QB issues, he gives the Westbrook approach of sarcasm, disinterest, and may the best man win answer. He has learned to deal with media and 4 months from now they will be a different team. I am hearing vocality amongst leaders has been a big focus
Meh, "controversy" or "competition", it's still there & everyone knows it. Furthermore, we've all heard for years how competition makes a team better.

Not knocking Gundy's way of handling it, this has pretty much become his M.O.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
In other news, Antwine got cleared. Pretty much what we expected, but still noteworthy.
More from Kelly Hines...

“He’s a young man that deserved to be eligible, in our opinion, based on the way things are handled, so they’ve ruled in his favor,” coach Mike Gundy said after Wednesday’s practice. “I think that’s been awesome for him in how it all transpired. We’ve been practicing him like we thought it would be (in his favor).”

Listed at 6-foot-4 and 295 pounds, Antwine joined the team in January as a welcomed addition, having transferred after a coaching change at Colorado. He committed to OSU as a high school senior but flipped to the Buffaloes the day before signing day.

Antwine brings significant experience to the defensive line, having started 11 games last year. At Colorado, he was the second true freshman defensive lineman to start a season opener and he set a freshman record within the position group with 457 plays.
On another note, here's Bill Haisten column on Chuba Hubbard and the run game...

A year ago, Hubbard was an unproven commodity. Coach Mike Gundy knew that Hubbard had track speed, along with exceptional balance and flexibility, but there also was this unknown: Hubbard played high school football in Canada.

He scored 82 touchdowns and averaged 15 yards per carry — 15! — but were his opponents on the same level as defensive personnel at Broken Arrow, Jenks, Union or in Texas? Probably not.

Now, as Justice Hill decided on an early move to the NFL draft, Hubbard ascends to the top of OSU’s backfield depth chart. Last season, Hubbard rushed for 740 yards. It was a strong total when you consider that he got only four starts and only 124 carries.

This is why he’s on the media guide cover: Hubbard ran for 104 yards and three touchdowns in Bedlam, for 134 yards against West Virginia and for 145 and a TD during the bowl victory over Missouri.

“He plays with an edge,” Gundy said. “He seems to be durable. His football savvy is further along than I thought it would be. If he progresses and continues as did (during) the last few games of the year, he could get into that category.

“He just needs a few more street fights so we know for sure that he can take care of himself.”

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
Meh, "controversy" or "competition", it's still there & everyone knows it. Furthermore, we've all heard for years how competition makes a team better.

Not knocking Gundy's way of handling it, this has pretty much become his M.O.
I concur, Senator.
The players aren't allowing the QB competition affect them. They're all trying to get themselves ready for their position. Improving and proving oneself is the main focus for the team. The coaches are encouraging competition at each and every position and if any one man is affected by competition of any other position is a distracted wuss and not worthy of even wasting anyone else's time on the practice field.

The only time there will be a quarterback controversy that affects the team is when the best quarterback is not getting PT.
Even when Bobby Reid was replaced by Zac Robinson no one...NO ONE...started a campaign to reinstate Reid. No one complained. They rolled with it because they know if they're not concentrating on taking care of their own position, they'll be riding pine.
And no player worth his salt wants to be on the sideline.

I think Gundy and his coaches know how to handle a competition and so do the players. They've been competing on an increasing level since they started playing football.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
From Bill Haisten...

In 2018, the Cowboys football program seemed to have lost its mojo.

After the reference to 2018, Gundy reverted to the Gundy I remembered from 2005-11. The result was my most interesting Gundy interview in four years. He buried the needle on candor.

“The first reason that we won only seven games was me,” Gundy said. “I went back and self-scouted myself, and I was to blame for the majority of it. Because of the way that I handled the team. The majority of it was me. Most of the years, I’ve done a pretty good job. Last year, from Jan. 1 until our bowl game (on Dec. 31), I didn’t do a good job.

“You could say that 20% of it was on (assistant coaches) and then 20% on the players. The other 60% is on me. I didn’t do a very good job of managing the people that I had in the organization — the players and the coaches. And that’s the result you get.”

So, 2019 is a big year not only for OSU, but for Mike Gundy?

“No doubt,” he replied.

What would Gundy have done differently?

“It would take forever to tell you,” he said. “I got out of my box on handling things as I should. I just thought everything would work itself out, and I wasn’t as disciplined (in making corrections).

“That’s why we won seven games. If I had done my job the way I should have, we would have won 10.”