Sportswear company trying to manipulate rage again for media hits

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Don't look now but a sneaker maker is trying to generate clicks and outrage again by acting like they are somehow bowing to the will of a controversial former sports figure. Before you have outrage, remember, they are counting on it...so just move on and don't give them your time.

Mar 11, 2006
Nike should not get one penny from people. I have a lot of Nike gear. I am not burning it or throwing them away. But I will not be buying Nike again
Pulling a shoe because it has the original American flag? I thought at first it was an article from The Onion.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
That company came in pretty light on revenue and earnings in the recent quarter, so it would appear they are playing a dangerous game.

Aug 16, 2012
The city council in Minneapolis voted this week to ban the pledge of allegiance at their meetings.
Yes, they (Saint Louis Park) did, but if I recall correctly, the mayor was not in town when they did it and he has put the nix on their decision, in part due to public comment over the action.

A look at their website, every member is white, SLP is actually "whiter" than the national average, yet they have created a racial equity platform and racial equity has dominated their agenda since at least 2016. They are going overboard, almost like they are wrought with "white guilt". That or they are just ignorant dems.

Last edited:

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
The brilliance of this is that the shoes that already exist are demanding insane prices. This was clearly a planned action to get the former sports star and the company back in the media since his story had faded and to inject the company with cash based on the old adage that "all publicity is good publicity." If you think Collin K had a big issue with this shoe and stated his case to the company without them having that as a plan in the first place then I've got some Ocean front property in Tulsa for sale. It's so silly to think that he even knew what time period that the flag was from...more so that he would be offended by it and this close to the 4th of July. People are so gullible. This company is playing with peoples patriotism and I'm glad Zona is pulling their tax breaks.

Last edited:

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
The shoes are actually pretty dang cool.
Welp… not cool any more. I've been running in a lot of 5K's and marathon relays over the past two years. Awhile back I went to Red Coyote and got evaluated for running shoes... they put me in Brooks Ravena 9's. Nike's are absolute sh*t compared to Brooks (for a true running shoe). AND if you catch the Brooks on sale (which they have often), they're less expensive than that Nike trash. Sooooooo I haven't bought Nike in years now because the Brooks are just vastly better... even as an all around "tennis shoe". AND they just dropped these:

110297_166_l_WR.jpg

https://www.brooksrunning.com/en_us/mens-running-shoes-launch-6/110297.html

Even cooler than the Nike Betsy's IMO.

Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
Welp… not cool any more. I've been running in a lot of 5K's and marathon relays over the past two years. Awhile back I went to Red Coyote and got evaluated for running shoes... they put me in Brooks Ravena 9's. Nike's are absolute sh*t compared to Brooks (for a true running shoe). AND if you catch the Brooks on sale (which they have often), they're less expensive than that Nike trash. Sooooooo I haven't bought Nike in years now because the Brooks are just vastly better... even as an all around "tennis shoe". AND they just dropped these:

View attachment 71481

https://www.brooksrunning.com/en_us/mens-running-shoes-launch-6/110297.html

Even cooler than the Nike Betsy's IMO.
Yeah buy brooks. Help my baby berk stock

Mar 11, 2006
Will be interesting to see if Nike considers their stock struggles, compared to others in their sector, to have anything to do with Kaep.
Have to assume stock holders are not happy with performance.

Bowers2

Stackin' Joe's Cups
A/V Subscriber
Jul 31, 2006
Edmond
Will be interesting to see if Nike considers their stock struggles, compared to others in their sector, to have anything to do with Kaep.
Have to assume stock holders are not happy with performance.
This isn't true. Just what conservative media likes to say. Under Armour is down the past five years, Nike is up. Over the past year it's about the same and Nike may be outperforming by a slight margin. Adidas is outperforming both, though.

Nov 8, 2007
Bartlesville
This isn't true. Just what conservative media likes to say. Under Armour is down the past five years, Nike is up. Over the past year it's about the same and Nike may be outperforming by a slight margin. Adidas is outperforming both, though.
From my own personal observation, this would be more due to their pricing structures. When shopping for athletic wear over the last 5 years:

reebok and Adidas pricing has stayed pretty constant.

UA's prices have increased pretty steadily.

Nike has always been outrageous, but has a very loyal following.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
Nike's gone from about $35 to $84 per share in over the span of 5 years. Not exactly an Amazon, but pretty steady performance. All a person can do to make a statement is to just buy from vendors like Brooks and New Balance and hope they don't veer off into the same BS narrative.