Spencer Sanders Update

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Uh, Illingworth looked like a snail out there. He is not very mobile at all.
Agreed. He's definitely not "mobile" or a runner in any sense. Looked as slow or slower than Weeden. But he has good pocket awareness for his age/experience, so we *should* be fine regardless.

Oct 1, 2006
USA
www.yahoo.com
I didn't realize I was such a "glass half empty" type. You want to talk about how accurate I was on the last game, i.e. OSU/Tulsa? I predicted a 13-7 win. Gee, I was off by three. What was your prediction?
You predicted a 13-7 win against Tulsa with a healthy Spencer Sanders? I think you just outed yourself as a glass half empty type. His one drive showed we were going to march all over them on offense.

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
I didn't realize I was such a "glass half empty" type. You want to talk about how accurate I was on the last game, i.e. OSU/Tulsa? I predicted a 13-7 win. Gee, I was off by three. What was your prediction?
don't be dense, man. if you really did predict that score it was w/ the assumption that SS was gonna be playing QB. Illingworth is about as mobile as Rudolph or Weeden, so it's not like an "unmobile QB" is uncharted territory for Gundy and company...........

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
Agreed. He's definitely not "mobile" or a runner in any sense. Looked as slow or slower than Weeden. But he has good pocket awareness for his age/experience, so we *should* be fine regardless.
Yeah, I wasn't ripping on the guy, just saying he's not a runner. That is apparent. Love his arm talent.

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
don't be dense, man. if you really did predict that score it was w/ the assumption that SS was gonna be playing QB. Illingworth is about as mobile as Rudolph or Weeden, so it's not like an "unmobile QB" is uncharted territory for Gundy and company...........
Ok, this is getting silly. I predicted 13-7 with tongue firmly planted in cheek, because everyone else was picking us to put up anywhere from 45-58 points. I fully expected us to put up more than 16 points, but just to be different, I picked a low score. However, it turns out that my prediction was probably the most accurate on this board. I'm not a pessimist, that's just the way it worked out.

Sep 22, 2018
Edmond
Chris Smith, Al Pena, Alex Cate, Daxx Garman, Ethan Bullock, Dru Brown to name a few. There were times when Corndog looked very good. There were other times, of course. But there were times when he looked very good.
I recognize everyone here (and agree BTW) except for Chris Smith. Remind me, what year(s) was he at O-state ?

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
If you're going to run the "ZRob" offense you better have 2-3 running QBs available. Sanders first tweaked his ankle on the
the QB draw 3-4 plays into the game - I commented on it at the game, and you can detect a slight limp on several different plays before he really limps off after the sack. It's great to have a kid with SS's mobility, but I hate running him intentionally. I would wager (not on OP, of course) that if SS runs intentionally 2+ times/game or 4+ times/game whether intentional or not that we will see SI again getting significant PT due to SS injury. I don’t want that to happen, I just think it would.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
If you're going to run the "ZRob" offense you better have 2-3 running QBs available. Sanders first tweaked his ankle on the
the QB draw 3-4 plays into the game - I commented on it at the game, and you can detect a slight limp on several different plays before he really limps off after the sack. It's great to have a kid with SS's mobility, but I hate running him intentionally. I would wager (not on OP, of course) that if SS runs intentionally 2+ times/game or 4+ times/game whether intentional or not that we will see SI again getting significant PT due to SS injury. I don’t want that to happen, I just think it would.
I believe some athletes are more prone to injury than others from anatomical standpoint more so than how they play the position. When dealing with a mobile QB, the heightened risk comes from taking unnecessary hits, from not going down. In today’s game, many utilize athleticism as a way to spread the field, buy the receivers time, or advance the ball upfield. So long that they are not lowering their shoulder, taking shots to the body or shots to the knees - the risk of injury is equal to that of a pocket passer.

Sanders ankle sprain and thumb injury was as likely to happen in the pocket or on a bootleg as it was going up field for a run.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
I believe some athletes are more prone to injury than others from anatomical standpoint more so than how they play the position. When dealing with a mobile QB, the heightened risk comes from taking unnecessary hits, from not going down. In today’s game, many utilize athleticism as a way to spread the field, buy the receivers time, or advance the ball upfield. So long that they are not lowering their shoulder, taking shots to the body or shots to the knees - the risk of injury is equal to that of a pocket passer.

Sanders ankle sprain and thumb injury was as likely to happen in the pocket or on a bootleg as it was going up field for a run.
I agree with your thoughts on some guys being injury prone, but I also think "unnecessary hits" includes any incurred on a designed QB draw in the middle of the first game against an opponent you should be able to line up against and out-talent. Even ZRob couldn't finish the season in the ZRob offense. Plus, we've already seen in two games that neither SS nor SI has been taught how to properly slide, resulting in an unnecessary hit on each.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
I recognize everyone here (and agree BTW) except for Chris Smith. Remind me, what year(s) was he at O-state ?
His one game start was 1989 versus Kansas State, pre-Bill Snyder. They sucked, and he couldn't move the offense. We were behind 10-0 in the third quarter. Mike Gundy had missed the only start he ever missed because of a sprained knee he suffered in Norman the week before. My wife (ex #1) was pregnant with our son. I turned to her and said, "I don't believe Mike Gundy is going to stand on the sidelines and watch his team lose to Kansas State." Sure enough he limped onto the field at the end of the third quarter, led us to two touchdowns and a 14-10 win. When he threw the second touchdown pass, to Brent Parker IIRC, I turned to my wife, pointed at her belly and said, "That boy's name is Mike." That's how my son got his name.

The funny part is, in 1995 I was in Jackson Mississippi and I was introduced to a pharma rep from Oklahoma. He asked me if I was a Sooners fan and I said, "No, I'm an Oklahoma State fan. As a matter of fact, my son is named after former quarterback Mike Gundy." I proceeded to tell the story and as I do he's getting a funny look on his face. When I get to the "That boy's name is Mike" part he says, "I'm Chris Smith. I started that game." I said, "You're Chris Smith? From Ponca City?" He answers, "Yes." I say, "Well... if you had won the game my son would be named Chris."

He did not find the story amusing, and we did not become friends.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
His one game start was 1989 versus Kansas State, pre-Bill Snyder. They sucked, and he couldn't move the offense. We were behind 10-0 in the third quarter. Mike Gundy had missed the only start he ever missed because of a sprained knee he suffered in Norman the week before. My wife (ex #1) was pregnant with our son. I turned to her and said, "I don't believe Mike Gundy is going to stand on the sidelines and watch his team lose to Kansas State." Sure enough he limped onto the field at the end of the third quarter, led us to two touchdowns and a 14-10 win. When he threw the second touchdown pass, to Brent Parker IIRC, I turned to my wife, pointed at her belly and said, "That boy's name is Mike." That's how my son got his name.

The funny part is, in 1995 I was in Jackson Mississippi and I was introduced to a pharma rep from Oklahoma. He asked me if I was a Sooners fan and I said, "No, I'm an Oklahoma State fan. As a matter of fact, my son is named after former quarterback Mike Gundy." I proceeded to tell the story and as I do he's getting a funny look on his face. When I get to the "That boy's name is Mike" part he says, "I'm Chris Smith. I started that game." I said, "You're Chris Smith? From Ponca City?" He answers, "Yes." I say, "Well... if you had won the game my son would be named Chris."

He did not find the story amusing, and we did not become friends.
Maybe he thought you knew who he was and were effing with him.

Or maybe he was just an a-hole . . . . . You know, having had to grow up in Ponca and all.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
I agree with your thoughts on some guys being injury prone, but I also think "unnecessary hits" includes any incurred on a designed QB draw in the middle of the first game against an opponent you should be able to line up against and out-talent. Even ZRob couldn't finish the season in the ZRob offense. Plus, we've already seen in two games that neither SS nor SI has been taught how to properly slide, resulting in an unnecessary hit on each.
Thats exactly my point. ZRob got LIT UP going for a TD against Tech rather than going down or OOB taking the unnecessary hit. How many QB draws, scrambles, bootlegs, did he run before that where didn’t get hurt despite being tackled? He could have sustained that same injury had a blocker missed a backside blitz.

SS had a high ankle sprain, which can happen on a drop back, a boot leg, a sack, a handoff.

I believe more QB injuries happen inside the pocket than outside which is why they are so protected there. I’m sure both of us could come up with 100s of examples that support our case. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. I think the most effective QBs in todays game have the ability to make the throw, and stretch the field with their legs and that injuries are more indicative of the player not how they play.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
He wasn't recruited to be dual threat QB. He is exactly what we were signing. Don't try to make him into something else.
We haven't used him in a dual threat capacity (for obvious reasons), and I don't think anyone is suggesting that we have or should. My post was primarily stating that 4.4 speed isn't required at the QB position to have success and that I've been really impressed by Illingworth's pocket awareness so far. I think he can be really good for us, especially if the coaches give chances to succeed.