Spencer Sanders Update

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 6, 2010
Don't see this happening at all, but would love to see SS and SI get reps/drives in games. Seems like it would be quite the headache for DCs...
With that being said, I love the fact that we have a very reliable back up!
Yea, no. Rhythm is way more important to an offense than changeups are disconcerting to a defense. Now if Sanders is struggling, I do like having a viable option to go to.

Oct 30, 2007
This is really interesting. Coach Gundy said that Sanders is close to100%, but he's still splitting starter practice reps with Illingworth. I wonder if the starting role is up for grabs, or if they plan to use a multi-QB system moving forward?

https://www.si.com/college/oklahoma...set-baylor-postponement-sanders-injury-update
“He’s doing just fine and [Illingworth and Sanders] are getting equal reps and seem to be doing very well,” coach Gundy said of Spencer Sanders. “He’s got to be getting close [to 100%]. You never really know until you get into a game, but I thought he was pretty close before we played Kansas, so he’s moving that way. I can’t imagine that he won’t be 100% [for Iowa State].”

With both Illingworth and Sanders sharing reps at this point, it's going to be fun and interesting to see how the Cowboy coaching staff handles which quarterback's going to get the nod against Iowa State, or are we going to see both play.

Nov 6, 2010
This is really interesting. Coach Gundy said that Sanders is close to100%, but he's still splitting starter practice reps with Illingworth. I wonder if the starting role is up for grabs, or if they plan to use a multi-QB system moving forward?

https://www.si.com/college/oklahoma...set-baylor-postponement-sanders-injury-update
“He’s doing just fine and [Illingworth and Sanders] are getting equal reps and seem to be doing very well,” coach Gundy said of Spencer Sanders. “He’s got to be getting close [to 100%]. You never really know until you get into a game, but I thought he was pretty close before we played Kansas, so he’s moving that way. I can’t imagine that he won’t be 100% [for Iowa State].”

With both Illingworth and Sanders sharing reps at this point, it's going to be fun and interesting to see how the Cowboy coaching staff handles which quarterback's going to get the nod against Iowa State, or are we going to see both play.
I think it's more a reflection of having 2 bye weeks in a row, and Gundy realizing how tenuous it is having a running QB like Sanders. Also the fact that Illingworth showed up when called upon and is the clear number 2 earned him more reps.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa

I Think if Sanders is 100% we see him start. The only way we see SI is if SS gets hurt again or he is playing very poorly. You have to consider the new 4 game redshirt rule. I think Gundy will do whatever it takes to win now, but with SI already playing in 3 games he only has 1 game left to keep the RS... So I don't think we will see both by design... I could be 100% wrong tho.

Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
I Think if Sanders is 100% we see him start. The only way we see SI is if SS gets hurt again or he is playing very poorly. You have to consider the new 4 game redshirt rule. I think Gundy will do whatever it takes to win now, but with SI already playing in 3 games he only has 1 game left to keep the RS... So I don't think we will see both by design... I could be 100% wrong tho.
I thought this year didn't count per the ncaa

Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa
www.tulsalawyer.org
I thought every fall athlete got an extra year due to COVID, so there are no red shirts in 2020:.

Additionally, all fall sport student-athletes will receive both an additional year of eligibility and an additional year in which to complete it, as the Council suggested, through a blanket waiver.

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resource...work-toward-hosting-fall-championships-spring

Oct 30, 2007
I have to assume that Sanders will start as well because he's older and more experienced, but I can't remember starter reps ever being split during the Gundy era when both players weren't expected to play. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Fly

Wrangler
Jan 10, 2020
Edmond
My data is what I’ve seen with my eyes and obviously it’s what the staff see’s everyday in practice. He’s is big ole dude and blocking his best asset.

Fly

Wrangler
Jan 10, 2020
Edmond
I believe it was in the WV game Illingsworth threw him a perfect pass and the cat flat out dropped it. So let’s say his hands are average and he runs bad routes. If that’s true that validates why we don’t throw to him very often.

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
I believe it was in the WV game Illingsworth threw him a perfect pass and the cat flat out dropped it. So let’s say his hands are average and he runs bad routes. If that’s true that validates why we don’t throw to him very often.
The announcers commented that maybe that’s why they don’t throw him the ball

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
I thought every fall athlete got an extra year due to COVID, so there are no red shirts in 2020:.

Additionally, all fall sport student-athletes will receive both an additional year of eligibility and an additional year in which to complete it, as the Council suggested, through a blanket waiver.

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resource...work-toward-hosting-fall-championships-spring
Wow never even thought about that... wonder if they will do the right thing and uphold this exception despite most schools going forward with sports.