Spencer Sanders Update

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Agree to disagree, but I wonder which side Dallas Cowboys fans are taking this afternoon. Dak did take a few hits in the pocket, but only one on a QB draw. Probably the only hit he'll take on a QB draw the rest of the season.....
Yes that was an extremely unfortunate situation. I feel bad for Dak, he is such a good dude and has been through a TON. In that situation he was injured because he ran the ball, no doubt. However you can’t ignore the 100s of times he tucked the ball and picked up positive yards, a touchdown , or a crucial first down while not getting injured.

The statistics at the macro level show that NFL QBs that get sacked or hit on release are injured a higher frequency than those hit running a draw. That’s why cherry-picking these injuries to support an argument is irrelevant - it ignores the non biased / fact based collection of data. Dak’s injury was the exception, not the rule.

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
Agree to disagree, but I wonder which side Dallas Cowboys fans are taking this afternoon. Dak did take a few hits in the pocket, but only one on a QB draw. Probably the only hit he'll take on a QB draw the rest of the season.....
Yes that was an extremely unfortunate situation. I feel bad for Dak, he is such a good dude and has been through a TON. In that situation he was injured because he ran the ball, no doubt. However you can’t ignore the 100s of times he tucked the ball and picked up positive yards, a touchdown , or a crucial first down while not getting injured.

The statistics at the macro level show that NFL QBs that get sacked or hit on release are injured a higher frequency than those hit running a draw. That’s why cherry-picking these injuries to support an argument is irrelevant - it ignores the non biased / fact based collection of data. Dak’s injury was the exception, not the rule.
It's a good example of why you need two good QBs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nov 8, 2013
I was excited to see Illingworth's strong performances, but I am still 100% in the Sanders camp. I am very eager to see the returning triplets finally perform this season. All we have had a chance to see is a very conservative first drive (which was telegraphed plainly on the ESPN+ "Our Time" episode).
And... my wait will have to continue.
Patience is not my biggest strength. :/

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
The R/P qb is based on the rare freak occurrence of a Cam Newton, Johnny Manzel or Kyler Murray. It doesn't work out to well very often.
On the contrary, mobile QBs are the way of the future. Some of the top QBs in the game are able to extend the play with their legs even if they are pass first. I'm talking guys like Russel Wilson, Mahomes, Lamar Jackson, Watson, Josh Alan.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
On the contrary, mobile QBs are the way of the future. Some of the top QBs in the game are able to extend the play with their legs even if they are pass first. I'm talking guys like Russel Wilson, Mahomes, Lamar Jackson, Watson, Josh Alan.
That's six out of 32 NFL teams (18%) and one of those went down yesterday.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country

The ratio of qb drop-backs to qb draws is probably 200:1. I'll agree far more QBs are injured in the pocket, it's like saying 80% of all automobile wrecks happen within 3 miles of home. The data may be irrefutable, but may not tell the whole story.

Jun 14, 2011
That's six out of 32 NFL teams (18%) and one of those went down yesterday.
Also, with varying degrees of frequency on moving/mobility, you can Rodgers, Mayfield, Prescott, Bridgewater, Herbert, and Wentz to that list. Bumps the percentages up a fair bit. @Chunks beat me to it. Point being, many of the top guys are mobile.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I kinda see two different versions of "mobile" QBs in the NFL right now
True running QBs - big, tough, and offense uses designed QB runs often
Cam Newton
Josh Allen
Lamar Jackson
Dak Prescott

Mobile - pass-first QB, elusive in open field or pocket, regularly adds rush yards when plays breakdown, avoids hits when possible
Baker Mayfield
Russell Wilson
Kyler Murray
Patrick Mahomes
Aaron Rogers
Joe Burrow
Carson Wentz
Deshaun Watson
Matthew Stafford
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Sam Darnold

Seems like nearly all the younger QBs coming into the league are pretty mobile these days. The true running QBs are more rare IMO, and seem to get banged up more often (Lamar Jackson is the only one on my list above that's been able to remain healthy so far). The way I see it, we seem to use Sanders as if his running ability is primary, and his passing is secondary. Not only does that bring down our ceiling, it actually hurts his NFL chances unless a team wants him to play a role similar to Taysom Hill....and that's a shame, because I think his arm is pretty good.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
I kinda see two different versions of "mobile" QBs in the NFL right now
True running QBs - big, tough, and offense uses designed QB runs often
Cam Newton
Josh Allen
Lamar Jackson
Dak Prescott

Mobile - pass-first QB, elusive in open field or pocket, regularly adds rush yards when plays breakdown, avoids hits when possible
Baker Mayfield
Russell Wilson
Kyler Murray
Patrick Mahomes
Aaron Rogers
Joe Burrow
Carson Wentz
Deshaun Watson
Matthew Stafford
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Sam Darnold

Seems like nearly all the younger QBs coming into the league are pretty mobile these days. The true running QBs are more rare IMO, and seem to get banged up more often (Lamar Jackson is the only one on my list above that's been able to remain healthy so far). The way I see it, we seem to use Sanders as if his running ability is primary, and his passing is secondary. Not only does that bring down our ceiling, it actually hurts his NFL chances unless a team wants him to play a role similar to Taysom Hill....and that's a shame, because I think his arm is pretty good.
Id agree with your lists with the exception of Dax. He is actually leading the league in passing yards prior to the injury and was second last year and his rush numbers are down.

With Sanders, I agree we need him to be like the second group. We did run a bit more than I would have liked last year but I don't know if that was by design of a weaker offensive line and WRs not getting free fast enough or if it was trying to make him be an RPO with more emphasis on the run. New OC and such a small sample size to know how were planning on using him this year. I'm with you in hoping for the second group.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Id agree with your lists with the exception of Dax. He is actually leading the league in passing yards prior to the injury and was second last year and his rush numbers are down.

With Sanders, I agree we need him to be like the second group. We did run a bit more than I would have liked last year but I don't know if that was by design of a weaker offensive line and WRs not getting free fast enough or if it was trying to make him be an RPO with more emphasis on the run. New OC and such a small sample size to know how were planning on using him this year. I'm with you in hoping for the second group.
Yeah, I agree this season he's transitioning more towards the second list, and the reason is obvious. The guys that take a beating understandably don't hold up as long as guys who avoid hits. The Cowboys really needed Dak to be more like Mahomes and less like Cam Newton, and they were starting to actually accomplish that before the injury yesterday. I'm not saying that his injury is 100% due to his style of play, but it's not rocket science that the more big hits are taken, the shorter a career becomes.

Nov 8, 2013
I suspect we will come out against ISU with Sanders running it several times on the first drive or two just to make them respect the threat, and then scale it back more to Chuba/LD in the run game plus a more traditional passing game.

PF5

Cowboy
Jan 3, 2014
Don't see this happening at all, but would love to see SS and SI get reps/drives in games. Seems like it would be quite the headache for DCs...
With that being said, I love the fact that we have a very reliable back up!