Spencer Sanders Update

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Gundy and gamesmanship. It will be Shane in there Saturday.

And should be Shane in there vs KU as well. Then the bye week. That gives SS 4 weeks to heal.

If we get by those two games, we are in great shape.

If we happen to lose to WVU then we will have a loss but will have SS available for the games vs the contenders (0U, Texas, TCU, ISU) which we need to win to win any potential tie-breaker and then the loss to WVU won't matter.

Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
If we lose to WVU, we're done...

For me, the goal for this season was to get in the Big-12 Championship game. If you drop your opening conference game against a non-contender, that goal is basically toast.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
I disagree. I think a 1 loss team can get to the Big12 Championship. Just need to lose to the right team.
It's always better to lose to a non-contender from a chances of making the Champ game standpoint.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO

For me, the goal for this season was to get in the Big-12 Championship game. If you drop your opening conference game against a non-contender, that goal is basically toast.
Most likely that's true, but it's anything but ironclad. Numerous examples here to point to.

Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater

I had the same "goal", not one thing on Saturday made me confident we will even get close. If we had played UT/OU Saturday we would have gotten beat by 50

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I had the same "goal", not one thing on Saturday made me confident we will even get close. If we had played UT/OU Saturday we would have gotten beat by 50
I doubt either ou or Texas will score that many on our defense. We fall into this trap of always thinking we are an offensive powerhouse, we’ll this year we are a defensive juggernaut. It’s true and will prove to be our saving grace as we start the young but physically gifted QB in these next two games. At least this is what o think would be best. Btw, I think we explode, in the positive sense, on offense with this kid under center. You never know but he looks the part in spades.
Almost all our success has come with guys under center like Illingworth (drop back passers), was never totally sold on the style of play we had last year.

Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
I doubt either ou or Texas will score that many on our defense. We fall into this trap of always thinking we are an offensive powerhouse, we’ll this year we are a defensive juggernaut. It’s true and will prove to be our saving grace as we start the young but physically gifted QB in these next two games. At least this is what o think would be best. Btw, I think we explode, in the positive sense, on offense with this kid under center. You never know but he looks the part in spades.
Almost all our success has come with guys under center like Illingworth (drop back passers), was never totally sold on the style of play we had last year.
I hope you are right!, but I will believe we are a defensive juggernaut when I see it, and if we give that many three and outs to a good Offense we are going to be in big trouble!!

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I hope you are right!, but I will believe we are a defensive juggernaut when I see it, and if we give that many three and outs to a good Offense we are going to be in big trouble!!
We had the wrong QB in the game for the vast majority of 3 and outs. He’s just not it. Shame is it. Look his highlights up from last year...especially early in the year.

Nov 6, 2010
It is usually not as bad or as good as it seems. The way I look at it is good news/bad news. The good news is we should know that Illingworth is our starter and be able to give him first team reps and a game plan that suits him going into this game, and WVU has next to no tape on him. The bad news is the Oline attrition. We could very well be starting 3 former walk-ons next week, counting Sills. Losing Bray and Galloway off this year's line is going to be very difficult to overcome, particularly if we have any prayer of being in the championship conversation.

Sep 10, 2010
Sachse, TX
It is usually not as bad or as good as it seems. The way I look at it is good news/bad news. The good news is we should know that Illingworth is our starter and be able to give him first team reps and a game plan that suits him going into this game, and WVU has next to no tape on him. The bad news is the Oline attrition. We could very well be starting 3 former walk-ons next week, counting Sills. Losing Bray and Galloway off this year's line is going to be very difficult to overcome, particularly if we have any prayer of being in the championship conversation.
I think Teachum sums things up very well. Things are never as bad or as good as they seem for OSU. I am also taking a wait and see approach with the defense. Yes they looked great but we need to see them against a Big 12 offense. For example, they looked great against Boise a few years back and then trailed off as conference play started.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
My opinion is we need to beat either OU or Texas to make the Big-12 Championship game and that assumes we don't drop another game along the way.

If we lose to someone we shouldn't, it makes it that much harder. Basically, you have to hope that an OU or Texas also loses one they shouldn't. This year, that could happen. But I'd hate to give up control of our destiny by needing one of those other two to drop one they shouldn't.