Spencer Sanders - Bringing something back

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
It really wasn't Pena's fault. We moved Donovon Woods to defense and then had a couple of injuries. Most offenses suck once you get down to the 4th team QB. That is just the way it is.

Which makes that one year where we played Lunt, Walsh, and Chelf and made it to a bowl and mud-stomped Purdue pretty freaking amazing. There aren't many teams in the country with three QBs that can get them to a bowl game.
Pena was historically bad after Reid went down to injury, but yeah, that was the Mike Hamilton year at RB & the lone dynamic playmaker from the year before was kicked off the team. I was on the sidelines for multiple games that year & it was brutal.

We beat Montana State 15-10, Florida Atlantic & Arkansas State for 3 of the 4 wins, then upset a ranked Tech team late in the season. I was optimistic at 3-0, then Colorado came to town and scored on like a 75 yard run the first play of the game.

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Spring, TX
It really wasn't Pena's fault. We moved Donovon Woods to defense and then had a couple of injuries. Most offenses suck once you get down to the 4th team QB. That is just the way it is.

Which makes that one year where we played Lunt, Walsh, and Chelf and made it to a bowl and mud-stomped Purdue pretty freaking amazing. There aren't many teams in the country with three QBs that can get them to a bowl game.
CCCMFC is why.

Fly

Wrangler
Jan 10, 2020
Edmond
Spencer Sanders will need to make a huge Jump for this season to be a special one. I didn’t see a guy that made a lot of progress last year. He’s a talented guy but makes incredible poor decisions throwing the football. I hope he’s improved in that area. This is just my opinion and I’m sure I’ll get ripped, but just calling like I see it.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Spencer Sanders will need to make a huge Jump for this season to be a special one. I didn’t see a guy that made a lot of progress last year. He’s a talented guy but makes incredible poor decisions throwing the football. I hope he’s improved in that area. This is just my opinion and I’m sure I’ll get ripped, but just calling like I see it.
I won't rip you. Everyone in the world knows that the ball security's got to improve for him & this team to maximize their potential. After redshirting a year, then getting to taste the real speed of gamedays, hopefully the time off has given him a chance for the game to slow down even more for him.

Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK

I kinda disagree that Sanders didn't make a lot of progress last year...

- He had a tough 3 game stretch against Texas/KSU/Tech where he threw 7 interceptions and we lost two of those games.
- In the next 4 games he only threw 3 pics and we won 3 of those four games.

I think he got better after the Tech game.

(IMHO)

Fly

Wrangler
Jan 10, 2020
Edmond
Sanders did have a nice game at Iowa St. went 16-24 for 250. The kansas and TCU game he only had 15 and 18 pass attempts. The coaching staff obviously pulled back the reins to cut down on mistakes. I agree that less turnovers is positive growth. Dru Brown played against WV and threw the ball 32 times.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Your assessment is spot on IMO

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
Sanders did have a nice game at Iowa St. went 16-24 for 250. The kansas and TCU game he only had 15 and 18 pass attempts. The coaching staff obviously pulled back the reins to cut down on mistakes. I agree that less turnovers is positive growth. Dru Brown played against WV and threw the ball 32 times.
Against TCU, he also ran the ball 19 times for 88 yards. It was pretty clear that the coaches felt like the best way to attack them was on the ground.

Against KU, he injured his hand and didn’t play most of the second half. I’d say he had a really good passing day up until when he got injured.

SanditeCowboy

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
I won't rip you. Everyone in the world knows that the ball security's got to improve for him & this team to maximize their potential. After redshirting a year, then getting to taste the real speed of gamedays, hopefully the time off has given him a chance for the game to slow down even more for him.
Adjusting to the speed of the game is huge for Sanders. His biggest issue last year was getting the ball out on time. When a qb holds onto the ball too long bad things happen, like turnovers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater

I kinda disagree that Sanders didn't make a lot of progress last year...

- He had a tough 3 game stretch against Texas/KSU/Tech where he threw 7 interceptions and we lost two of those games.
- In the next 4 games he only threw 3 pics and we won 3 of those four games.

I think he got better after the Tech game.

(IMHO)
I think it’s cuz of how well he started that caused the expectations to rise that when the dip came it felt extra tough. Plus it doesn’t help that he didn’t get a chance to finish the year and get right with some people’s expectations. I’d actually argue that he played really well against Texas, the 3 game stretch of death was KSU, Tech, Baylor. The dude is big time, I’m pretty freaking confident in him to show up for a big game, it’s those 11ams away in a sleepy Lubbock that’ll sometimes be problems. But if you show up when it counts, I’ll take that every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Adjusting to the speed of the game is huge for Sanders. His biggest issue last year was getting the ball out on time. When a qb holds onto the ball too long bad things happen, like turnovers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Very true...It'll be interesting to see if he can make the necessary jump w/out the spring practices. Time will tell though! Kid has some talent, but needs to put it together mentally as well as fixing some of his bad habits.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
Honestly, I think Spencer’s jump may not happen right away this year (especially with how much we might run it early on). But I’m really excited about the Tim Rattay hire, and I bet Rattay will be a huge boost for Spencer as they go through the season.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
If you want to win the league...Sanders has to make a jump in his play IMO...otherwise, I see another 8-4 season. Hubbard carrying this team isn't going to cut it. Kid has to become a legit threat in the passing game starting this year.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
If you want to win the league...Sanders has to make a jump in his play IMO...otherwise, I see another 8-4 season. Hubbard carrying this team isn't going to cut it. Kid has to become a legit threat in the passing game starting this year.
Let’s specify, last season we ran the ball on 60% of snaps https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/passing-play-pct

Do you think we can make the Conference title game rushing 60% of the time? What percentage would you like to see us get to?

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Let’s specify, last season we ran the ball on 60% of snaps https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/passing-play-pct

Do you think we can make the Conference title game rushing 60% of the time? What percentage would you like to see us get to?

We ran the ball at a high clip b/c we had a QB that struggled reading coverages, which led to limiting him to reading half the field. Having a QB reading half the field puts serious limitations on the offense, especially the passing game. Realistically, you want balance....not necessarily a hard 50/50, but as close to it as possible.

IMO, if we have to ride Hubbard again, expect similar results especially since everyone knows Hubbard, and what he's capable of, and teams will prioritize stopping Hubbard and the run game, and force Sanders to beat them through the air, which he hasn't shown he could do that yet!! Expectations for Sanders this year is hopefully he's capable/proficient in reading the entire field b/c if he's able to do that, it opens up the entire offensive playbook.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
I probably blasted ya. We could have won it was a close game. We just didn’t. I agree we would have likely won with him as qb considering we barely lost without him.
It wasn't going to be a close game with Brown. It just wasn't. 14-21 was the max the offense was going to produce with him. 14-21 isn't going to win many college football games these days. Most games it's going to get you killed.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater

I think we can play in the conference title game rushing 60% of the time if:

1. We control time of possession.
2. We are effective at play-action passing.
3. We are effective at running option.
4. We don't turn the ball over.
5. We average more than 4.5 yards per carry.

That last one is really about o-line play more than anything. If the o-line is effective we'll average more than 4.5 yds per carry.