Spencer Redshirting?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Seems like Gundy is over reacting to Wes Lunt's inury back in 2012. I really don't think his age had anything to do with dislocating his kneecap. It was just an unlucky injury.

I always wonder though if Lunt was the same mentally after that.
Yep the one time Gundy picked the freshmen to start a season over the long term back up that ended up being a very good QB for us...it bit him in the ass. That has to leave a mark.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
First I completely agree with redshirting SS its the right thing to do regardless of the outcome for this season. If he was the best option to win games from game 1, then the coaches should be held accountable for the decision that was made. They decided he wasn't so I'm all in favor of the redshirt. The excuse is that freshmen are more vulnerable to injury is a load of crap, its bad for recruiting, it sends a bad message to the players and the fans. That's like saying you don't drive a new car because it could be wrecked. I wouldn't seriously consider starting SS in any games left in the season unless there were an injury however I would play him at least for a whole quarter up to 90% of the game. If he somehow doesn't play at all I would start with a whole new coaching staff next season.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
From Mark Cooper...

According to the 247Sports Composite, Spencer Sanders was rated better than both Texas Tech's Alan Bowman and Iowa State's Brock Purdy among quarterbacks in the 2018 signing class. So it’s a valid question … did Purdy’s performance make Mike Gundy think at all about what his freshman might do when he gets in a game?

Gundy said no — then explained why it’s his preference to redshirt quarterbacks in their first season.

“He’s practicing good,” Gundy said of Sanders. “He’s doing well. I’m not a big fan of playing freshman quarterbacks because I think they’re prone to injury and that scares me. Maybe I’m a little soft in that area, but I think when you’re young and you get out there and you play in this conference long enough, there’s a good chance you’re going to get hurt. Maybe not, so hopefully we can continue on.

“Like I said, I was worried about (Taylor Cornelius) in this game with all the hits he was taking and jumping on him from behind and things like that, made me a little nervous just watching him and he’s a full-grown man, 230 pounds. So a little concerning at times.”

Asked then if the plan remains to redshirt Sanders, Gundy said: “Right now, I would say yes.”

Jan 14, 2006
I think the injury statement is code for he's not close to ready. Gundy is just trying to be nice and had to give some excuse.

Sep 23, 2010
A running qb would help Hill get a few more open lanes. Corndog ran reasonably well against Boise and that is the best our offense has looked. A dual guy like Sanders could really open up some running lanes for Hill, which we desperately need. Corndog holds onto the ball until he is sure a guy is open, or he throws up a jump ball. He also throws the quick screeens. He doesn't make very many quick read, anticipation throws and throw a guy open. I assume a freshman Sanders would be the same way but I would guess his ability to run would be very helpful....like Zac Robison helped out his backs. If we lose to K-State, I see no reason rolling with Corndog. Let Sanders play 4 games and see what happens...and then he has four more years to play.

Some speak of Sanders transferring. The redshirt actually would make him consider going Juco then D1. If he redshirts, then transfers...he will run out of time to play all four seasons in five years.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
Funny how other teams' three star freshmen come in and light us up out of the gate, but our four star freshman is not yet ready to see even one moment of game action.

Feb 18, 2009
You don't feel like the plan all along was to bring in Brown in case Corn didn't pan out? That way you have both Brown and Corn to preserve the QB of the future...Sanders. I don't think Gundy had any intention of playing Sanders unless all hell breaks loose and both guys go down or he see him as his only chance to maintain at least a bowl season (mainly for the extra practice time). Just my opinion.
I don't think your wrong at all. And part of your answer (in bold) speaks to why I say there was no plan.

I didn't expect Spencer to walk in and be the man. I would however expect everyone in the lineup to play all four games with the new rule. I guarantee recruits are watching, not just us but all schools, on how they handle the 4 game rule.

I think getting to a point where a 5th year walk on, a grad transfer that came in last minute with two years left to play, a QB recruit that became a TE, and a QB that couldn't play anywhere else in the conference, including KU, when you knew Mason's tenure had a time limit is the exact definition of no plan. Not playing either backup in during mop up duty in favor of Wudtee showed no plan. Just throwing Cornhole out there and hoping we can limp through the season wasn't/isn't good enough.

For clarity, I have no problem with Taylor. My issues are with the guys in headsets not helmets. I am not ripping on any of our players. Taylor may be just fine if we set up the offense to protect against our weakness and protect him.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
So in reality is Sanders really capable of coming in and giving a serviceable performance at QB and Gundy is just playing the "loyalty" card at the expense of the program? His virtue signaling by holding out Weeden for so long because of "practice performance" probably cost us a win against OU. If so, he is absolutely fatally flawed as a head coach.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
So in reality is Sanders really capable of coming in and giving a serviceable performance at QB and Gundy is just playing the "loyalty" card at the expense of the program? His virtue signaling by holding out Weeden for so long because of "practice performance" probably cost us a win against OU. If so, he is absolutely fatally flawed as a head coach.
I think pride might play a role in this decision. If he plays sanders this year and he turns out great then everyone will question is coaching ability. If he plays him next year and he turns out great, then he can say yea that redshirt year really helped him grow and develop. Win/win if he does nothing this year.

Apr 14, 2018
Owasso
For clarity, I have no problem with Taylor. My issues are with the guys in headsets not helmets. I am not ripping on any of our players. Taylor may be just fine if we set up the offense to protect against our weakness and protect him.
This is what I'm thinking too. If his supporting cast was better (including coaches), no one would even be thinking about switching QBs. He has the stats, he's putting up good numbers overall.
The problem is the coaches aren't doing enough, or really anything, to sculpt the rough edges around him (O line and playcalling).
My reasoning is if they're unwilling to tailor the situation to fit him, they need to put a different QB in. Because they keep saying "we need to work on this and that" every damn week but nothing improves. Since options A and B (O line and playcalling) are going nowhere, maybe it's time for option C (different QB). At least one of those has got to change if we're gonna get more than 6 wins, or maybe even simply get 6 wins.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Something has got to change.
You say that.....but I'm not so sure. This is looking entirely like Gundy doesn't care at all. This is a throw away year to him. But as long as he still gets his 5 mil, he's cool. And as long as we beat uo once decade, a lot of our fans are cool.

Apr 14, 2018
Owasso
You say that.....but I'm not so sure. This is looking entirely like Gundy doesn't care at all. This is a throw away year to him. But as long as he still gets his 5 mil, he's cool. And as long as we beat uo once decade, a lot of our fans are cool.
That's the gist I'm getting from the press conferences. Just seems like he's content with having a rebuilding year. "Well we'll work on this a little and work on that a little, and we'll see what happens in the next game. If we win we win, if we lose we lose." He's acting like he has the 4-7 team from 2005. No goals whatsoever, no sense of urgency.
Could you imagine what Mike Leach would say if he was the HC of this team? Things like "our offense looked constipated", "we had the atmosphere of a jc softball team, the one who wins is the one who has the most fun". That is exactly what he would be saying right now. He would not tolerate it.
Now maybe Gundy is just talking to the media a certain way and talks to his players differently, but if that's the case it sure ain't showing on the field.

Oct 29, 2004
Edmond, OK
www.prgsales.com
Well, just holding out that Gundy’s semantics in declaring SS redshirt still provides for opportunity for him to play this year. Great road experiences at Manhattan, Ft. Worth, and Norman would give both Brown and Sanders free OTJ training and prep for next year.

If he doesn’t...what a waisted opportunity. Both will play in easy non-conference games to start the 2019 season and nothing will be learned as it relates to preparing to winning a conference championship. Their first Big 12 road game will be the first true OJT...who knows how they will perform? It makes too much sense to see how they do this year and use the experience to make corrections before next year...again it’s free time.

Apr 14, 2018
Owasso
Well, just holding out that Gundy’s semantics in declaring SS redshirt still provides for opportunity for him to play this year. Great road experiences at Manhattan, Ft. Worth, and Norman would give both Brown and Sanders free OTJ training and prep for next year.

If he doesn’t...what a waisted opportunity. Both will play in easy non-conference games to start the 2019 season and nothing will be learned as it relates to preparing to winning a conference championship. Their first Big 12 road game will be the first true OJT...who knows how they will perform? It makes too much sense to see how they do this year and use the experience to make corrections before next year...again it’s free time.
After the idiotic stuff they have done already, it would not surprise me if they squander that opportunity too.

Oct 29, 2004
Edmond, OK
www.prgsales.com
After the idiotic stuff they have done already, it would not surprise me if they squander that opportunity too.
I just remember Wes Lunt’s first big road game at K-State and he was completely overwhelmed...deer in the headlights overwhelmed. Great case study in giving a young freshman quarterback free OTJ training...there’s no downside with the new redshirt rule.