Spencer Redshirting?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Apr 14, 2018
Owasso
Mike Gundy has decided that it’s not worth the risk of injury. Don’t question the delicate genius.

Yep, came straight from his mouth at the press conference. He doesn't like playing freshmen because he's afraid they'll get injured. I wouldn't be surprised if he never sees the field this season.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
Yep, came straight from his mouth at the press conference. He doesn't like playing freshmen because he's afraid they'll get injured. I wouldn't be surprised if he never sees the field this season.
Yea and I suppose had we redshirted Lunt then he would have never got his rib injury. Yep, Rob Glass would have helped Lunt develop more muscle around his rib bone to prevent his broken rib. Of course, this would have never happened if he wasn’t a freshman:derp::derp:

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I'll preface this by saying that I've basically stopped caring or listening to anything most coaches say at weekly media pressers, conference teleconfrences, etc... Particularly Gundy. It's basically amateur hour with the Robert Allen fanboys of the media lobbing him softballs.

Now that being said, Gundy's got a great history of saying stuff like this, akin to him saying we didn't have a short yardage package one game when A&M had repeatedly stuffed us on short yardage. I remember thinking "didn't have a short yardage package for the game???"

This comment about injury, if he said it, is just silly, imo. But I also wouldn't be surprised if it's just another case of him giving an answer just for the sake of saying something.

Sep 8, 2012
Fort Worth
“If he had another year, I think we’d really be bragging on him at this time next year,” Gundy said. “Just look at the history of the quarterbacks in this league and the improvement they’ve made in year one to year two. … Kansas State is famous for it. Their guys hang around forever, and all of a sudden, everybody wants to know how they got to be so good. It’s just through experience.” - Gundy

The irony of this quote is hilarious to me. The exact reason we should play Sanders.

Apr 14, 2018
Owasso
Yea and I suppose had we redshirted Lunt then he would have never got his rib injury. Yep, Rob Glass would have helped Lunt develop more muscle around his rib bone to prevent his broken rib. Of course, this would have never happened if he wasn’t a freshman:derp::derp:
It's absolutely retarded. If freshmen are somehow more vulnerable to injury than sophomores, I would like to see the studies and hard evidence. If they are, it would be minuscule. It's football. Injuries are possible, no matter who you are.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
“If he had another year, I think we’d really be bragging on him at this time next year,” Gundy said. “Just look at the history of the quarterbacks in this league and the improvement they’ve made in year one to year two. … Kansas State is famous for it. Their guys hang around forever, and all of a sudden, everybody wants to know how they got to be so good. It’s just through experience.” - Gundy

The irony of this quote is hilarious to me. The exact reason we should play Sanders.
This doesn't quite top it, but it's damn close to Gruden's "good pass rushers are hard to find" quote from earlier this season.

Nov 18, 2011
No reason to not use the new rules to your advantage and get the young guy experience. The season is in a downward spiral. This is a CYA operation at this point for Gundy to hide yet another QB blunder.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
I wonder how Dru Brown is feeling right now. If he redshirts, he will have been in college six years.

Let's say Gundy plays him for the remaining six regular season games and a potential bowl game. Was that half season worth it?

This is really playing out terribly.
If he red shirts then he will have gotten his Masters degree paid for. Lucky him.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2018
Owasso
If he red shirts the he will have gotten his Masters degree paid for. Lucky him.
Exactly, I don't think he cares that much. As soon as he said he was in favor of redshirting, I immediately knew what was going on. Now that doesn't mean he isn't serious about football, but it's a wise move. 6 years of college for free with a Masters to show for it.

Apr 14, 2008
Texas
Nothing to see here. Just an official announcement of what we already suspected. Honestly, seeing how bad our OL is (regardless of whether it personnel or coaching), I'd say QB injury is a very real threat this year. I'm not sure 4 games is worth it behind this O-line

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
1. Neither Brown nor Sanders were here in the Spring.
2. Brown was even late in the summer due to finishing up on the islands.
3. Reps are limited and if you have a guy you like and think will win games for you, why replace him?
4. If the line is the problem, even after you know your new guys are good, do you replace the serviceable and durable guy?
5. Do you attempt to save good/great QB's for the future, or play them in a year that looks doubtful for much success when you already have pretty good QB play on the field?
6. If you play them in that year, at what point do you do it knowing you only have 4 games in which they can play in order to get them a red shirt?
7. Should size and fear of injury factor into the decision?
8. How do you know, from practice, who is the best guy for games?
9. With more than four games left in the season do you put in a new guy, or do you wait until the last possible moment?

My point is that these are not easy decisions for any coach, Gundy has not typically made the right ones at first and then typically does in time. I'm willing to give him time with these particular QB's due to all the question regarding the other two that we have yet to see. I would assume none of us are at practice and are just speculating. I think ISU played their freshmen because they knew that if they didn't win that game they would nearly for sure not even make a bowl...maybe ISU fans are asking why they didn't play him sooner? They put all their eggs in one basket vs OSU and it didn't bust. good for them... It could have...but it didn't. Just some things to thing about.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2015
Broken Arrow
It's absolutely retarded. If freshmen are somehow more vulnerable to injury than sophomores, I would like to see the studies and hard evidence. If they are, it would be minuscule. It's football. Injuries are possible, no matter who you are.

Seems like Gundy is over reacting to Wes Lunt's inury back in 2012. I really don't think his age had anything to do with dislocating his kneecap. It was just an unlucky injury.

I always wonder though if Lunt was the same mentally after that.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
That's what happens when there is no plan.
You don't feel like the plan all along was to bring in Brown in case Corn didn't pan out? That way you have both Brown and Corn to preserve the QB of the future...Sanders. I don't think Gundy had any intention of playing Sanders unless all hell breaks loose and both guys go down or he see him as his only chance to maintain at least a bowl season (mainly for the extra practice time). Just my opinion.