Speaking of Mayfield vs Rudolph

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
You're struggling to wrap your mind around the fact that receiving the ball is part of the RB position.
It's a part of it, a very small part. I very well understand that is one facet of the game. The dude averaged 2.6 receptions per game, and 16 rushes per game, a whole 14% of his game was the catching the ball. You overa value that stat because it's the only stat where he has a leg up on Peterson. That's it though. There is no other stat where he stands against Peterson. Not in touchdowns, not rush yards per game, not even rush yards per carry. But lets just add in those receiving yards and what do we get? Thomas averaged 90 ypg from scrimmage. Peterson averaged 107 ypg from scrimmage. So, including that receiving the ball is part of the rb position, and Peterson still has more yards per game, how is thomas better? How does it make sense to you outside just personal bias? These are objective stats. Peterson had a bigger impact on games, still has more rush yards AND scored more touchdowns in 50 less games.

You know it's a joke to compare either of them to barry sanders. Yet thomas was much more productive at receiving than Sanders was. All Barry has over Thomas is pure running ability, and the stats to back that up. Will you go so far as to say that thomas was a better player than sanders? It stands to reason if you would use that line of logic consistently.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
No he's not, he's just ignoring it because it doesn't fit his agenda.
You mean like how you guys are ignoring the fact that peterson has more touchdowns, more yards per game, more 2000 yard seasons, more yards rushing, more yards per carry, more rushing titles, and more pro bowls? Hell i can even break it down into more yards per touch, more points per touch, more points per game. But according to you all less significant than thomas' 2.6 receptions per game.

orngblkzebra

"All this endless thinking, it's very overrated."
A/V Subscriber
Feb 9, 2015
Shawnee, OK
Actually, Thomas had 2 seasons producing more than 2k yds being a versatile RB.
AD has 1.
And just so your guy is somehow forbI'd den from playing on the playoffs...those were earned in the regular season.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
Actually, Thomas had 2 seasons producing more than 2k yds being a versatile RB.
AD has 1.
And just so your guy is somehow forbI'd den from playing on the playoffs...those were earned in the regular season.
He could never do it just running , not good enough. Peterson did it a year after tearing his acl, on a bad team, facing 8 man fronts. A lot of it through the tackles. I wonder how many playoff games he’d have been in if he had a hall of fame qb and receiver with him for a decade.

Dec 8, 2013
Houston
We could look at the stats of all the OU RB Heisman winners, all stellar. Billy Sims, Steve Owens, even Vessels was amazing in his time. Three of the best RBs you'll ever see, you've mentioned AP, Dupree was probably the most punishing, then Perine would chop you up, the list goes on and on.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
Could you, please? I'm interested.
Edit: Don't forget postseason. Thanks.
First lets account for regular season stats only

Total Yards per game:
Thomas 90
Peterson 107

Total yards per touch:
Thomas 4.94
Peterson 5.05

Touchdowns per game:
Thomas 0.48
Peterson 0.78

To include regular and post season stats:

Total yards per game:
Thomas 92
Peterson 107

Total yards per touch:
Thomas 4.98
Peterson 5.01

Touchdowns per game:
Thomas 0.54
Peterson 0.79

Interestingly they both have 109 career touchdowns total. It took Thomas 203 games and 3764 touches to achieve that. Peterson required only 138 games with 2948 touches.

What might be interesting is comparing the two guys after each having 2948 touches. But since Peterson averages more yards and more points every time he touches the ball, that would go his way.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
So, you were boasting about yards per touch, which amounts to .03 yards (aka 1 inch)?
How about fumbles?
It amounts to a lot over the course of 3000 touches. 17 more yards per game, and a lot more points per game. Per game, for their entire career. It really adds up. the point being that even when you break it down to the minutae, Peterson advantage. the only thing Thomas was better at was catching the ball and probably pass protection, and it didnt still doesnt give him an advantage in terms of yards and scoring per game or per touch. Just illustrating my overall point.

orngblkzebra

"All this endless thinking, it's very overrated."
A/V Subscriber
Feb 9, 2015
Shawnee, OK
New question, since it's become somewhat obvious you didn't watch Thomas play:
What is the difference between playing in Buffalo & playing in Minnesota?

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
So, you were boasting about yards per touch, which amounts to .03 yards (aka 1 inch)?
How about fumbles?
It amounts to a lot over the course of 3000 touches. 17 more yards per game, and a lot more points per game. Per game, for their entire career. It really adds up. .
I doubt you went to OU, but that is some Sooner math. He touched the ball 612 times per game? Try again.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
I doubt you went to OU, but that is some Sooner math. He touched the ball 612 times per game? Try again.
:facepalm:

Something tells me you dont have a degree in reading comprehension. I was referencing Peterson's 2948 career touches which I rounded up to 3000. So that's ~3000 career touches, not 612 per game.

Easy- In Buffalo Thomas had a hall of fame qb, hall of fame wr and hall of fame coach on his side. Thomas had 12 pro bowler teammates during his mvp season.

Peterson's mvp season the vikes had christian ponder at qb. their best wr was percy 'I have a migraine' harvin coached by leslie frazier. Awesome.

Most of Peterson's career he had sub par crappy qb play, no great wrs, aka no pass game to challenge the defense. so he had more yards, more yards per carry and more touchdowns against mostly 8 man fronts that knew what was coming. I can only imagine the kind of ridiculous stats he'd have put up behind the beast offensive lines the bills had in the early 90s. Three linemen were pro bowlers in 92 alone!

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
Minnesota plays in a dome where it is easier to make cuts and drive forward, Buffalo it is outside and snows a little.

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
We could look at the stats of all the OU RB Heisman winners, all stellar. Billy Sims, Steve Owens, even Vessels was amazing in his time. Three of the best RBs you'll ever see, you've mentioned AP, Dupree was probably the most punishing, then Perine would chop you up, the list goes on and on.
Thurman Thomas has almost as many receiving yards as Simms has rushing yards in the NFL.