Southern Scuffle

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
On another OSU wrestling note, Daton Fix is one of our People to Watch in 2020, as he takes a redshirt season to prepare for April's Olympic trials.

From Dekota Gregory...

Derek told his son he believed the greatest accomplishment a wrestler could achieve was to become an Olympic champion. In a bold statement for one so young, Fix told his Dad that’s what he was going to be.

“I said, ‘Well, if you’re going to be an Olympic champion, son, it’s going to take a lot of effort and there are a lot of factors in it,’ ” Derek recalls. “There’s some God-given ability. There’s the people that are in your life that put hands on you, that mold you and give you the right direction to lead you on the right path. You gotta have the want-to and the toughness. There’s a lot of factors in it.”

There were so many factors that to most the goal seemed impossible. The dream seemed so outlandish that Fix was often laughed at when he said he wanted to be an Olympian instead of what most kids answered, a doctor or a firefighter. But with the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo nearing, the profound statement Fix made as a child is starting to look very real.

“You don’t get that opportunity very often, so I’m definitely looking forward to it,” Fix said. “I’m going to try not to let it slip out of my hands. It only comes around every four years, so it’s important to take this time real serious and focus on what I need to do to make that team and go win a gold medal.”