Sonoco fires man after video of him demanding to see Black woman's ID to enter community pool goes viral

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
A man in North Carolina called police after he demanded for a black woman show her ID to prove her address that she lived in the neighborhood (and she refused). He wanted her to prove that she and her son should be allowed to use the community pool in their neighborhood despite the fact she had a working key card to the pool and had given the man her address in the neighborhood before he called the police.

Police arrived to try to diffuse the situation and the woman showed the officer her ID and pool entry card for the community pool proving she had the right to use the pool.

Video of the incident went viral and Sonoco responded saying they have fired the man in the video as he didn't represent the core values of their company

Last edited:

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
So you're telling me that if you do something that goes against your employers rules and standards, even if it's legal, you can still be fired for it?? What??....

Edit: While I don't see that this guy did anything wrong, that still doesn't change the fact that the employer is able to make the decision they did.

Last edited:

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Two things come to mind.
-Does the guy require everyone who comes through the gate to show their ID? If so, there shouldn't be a problem. If not, then why even have someone watching the gate in the first place?
-Why the hell not just show your ID once asked?

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
Two things come to mind.
-Does the guy require everyone who comes through the gate to show their ID? If so, there shouldn't be a problem. If not, then why even have someone watching the gate in the first place?
-Why the hell not just show your ID once asked?
Per this article (https://www.greensboro.com/news/loc...cle_1d1582da-173a-54c2-9d6b-309c3fe12c92.html) another resident questioned them being members of the community and raised the concern to this guy who was in charge of the pool which is why he asked for ID.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Here is the full video

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1015068568965271553?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1015068568965271553&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fthehill.com%2Fhomenews%2Fnews%2F395761-video-of-white-man-asking-black-woman-for-id-at-community-pool-goes-viral

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Per this article (https://www.greensboro.com/news/loc...cle_1d1582da-173a-54c2-9d6b-309c3fe12c92.html) another resident questioned them being members of the community and raised the concern to this guy who was in charge of the pool which is why he asked for ID.
If this is true then the man did nothing wrong and now unfortunately has lost his job and will be the target of death threats and hate for the next 6 months....all for simply doing his job. (the second time in as many months we've seen a story about someone losing a job simply because somebody else rushed to judgement about their motives and went viral with it)

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
If this is true then the man did nothing wrong and now unfortunately has lost his job and will be the target of death threats and hate for the next 6 months....all for simply doing his job. (the second time in as many months we've seen a story about someone losing a job simply because somebody else rushed to judgement about their motives and went viral with it)
Watch the video. If this guy was in charge of the pool he didn't explain himself very well to the police

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Watch the video. If this guy was in charge of the pool he didn't explain himself very well to the police
I did, the guy looks pretty flustered and embarrassed that the camera was on him. I can't say I would have been any different knowing the viral society we live in where even honest misunderstandings and innocent requests can lead to exactly what happened in this case.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
Yeah, after watching the video this thing should have never needed to escalate to what it did. She's the one that blew it out of proportion. From everything I've read and seen this guy was just doing his job trying to confirm she was a resident because someone questioned if she should be there or not. I think this is another case where the person holding the camera is the person responsible for escalating the situation. I'd like to see how she was reacting to him BEFORE police got there and she started recording... I personally don't see anything wrong with what he did. I wonder if he could actually take HER to court for causing him to lose his job?