Someone let me know...

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
Can't believe we're just fighting for bowl eligibility once again. I thought for sure the gimmicky t-shirts with the inane word "Compete" (might as well substitute "Try" in its place) across it, along with Gundy's renewed excitement/enthusiasm would light a fire under this team/coaching staff, and propel us to a 10-win type of season. I guess when your head coach is complacent and clueless, no amount of gimmicks or preseason talk will yield better results.

I will say, Gundy excels at putting losses behind him and moving on. It's almost as if he couldn't care less, but I'm sure that's not the case.

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Can't believe we're just fighting for bowl eligibility once again. I thought for sure the gimmicky t-shirts with the inane word "Compete" (might as well substitute "Try" in its place) across it, along with Gundy's renewed excitement/enthusiasm would light a fire under this team/coaching staff, and propel us to a 10-win type of season. I guess when your head coach is complacent and clueless, no amount of gimmicks or preseason talk will yield better results.

I will say, Gundy excels at putting losses behind him and moving on. It's almost as if he couldn't care less, but I'm sure that's not the case.
I served as a volunteer on a non-profit for a while. Some discussions would get heated as opinions were shared. One of the team rules was to challenge ideas, not motives. The reasoning was that you can’t really know someone’s motive, you can only assume it. This avoided a lot of personal and unjustified attacks.

I think we tread into a potential minefield when we assume Gundy’s motives. Does he care? Is he unconcerned with our lack of success? Does he really want to beat OU? Only he can truly answer those questions. We’re free to postulate, but it’s not necessarily a helpful exercise.

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx
Pretty much the same for me. Its clear that Gundy has hit his ceiling, and its just not fun to watch us play scared, conservative, Alamo or Independence Bowl level football when we have the talent to do much more. This past weekend, I enjoyed climbing mountains in CO, and barely got upset when I finally got service and saw the score.

I'll watch if its convenient, but I'm mostly planning to check out until our coaching staff gives me confidence in their ability to......I don't know......coach?

This is the way I feel as well. I told myself that Bedlam 2013 was it for me, and that the kick in the nuts that day was would forever leave me numb.
Ugh. The only time in my life I’ve ever drank to literally drown my sorrows. Wife was out of town and I spent about 9 hours by myself sitting in the same spot as when the game ended drinking. Quite a pathetic site.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Wrestling is looking for more support if y'all want to move your attention and monetary support over! Things are looking up. Probably going to start a nice title run from 2021 forward.

Come on over now, folks! And if any of you have $15m-$30m laying around you can get the new facility named after you...

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
I think we tread into a potential minefield when we assume Gundy’s motives. Does he care? Is he unconcerned with our lack of success? Does he really want to beat OU? Only he can truly answer those questions. We’re free to postulate, but it’s not necessarily a helpful exercise.
That's fair--only he knows his motives. However, with as many times as he's been "out-coached" and his teams have been unprepared for big games, I think the "Clueless" part of my statement is pretty accurate. Let's face it, for $5M/yr. and the results he's produced--1 conference title in 15 years (which will likely be the only one he ever produces,) he's extremely overpaid.

CaymanS

Greenhorn
Oct 20, 2018
OKC
Did you ever consider that for he is being paid for staying and being one of us and not for his results? That seemed to be the motive behind the last extension and raise and not his W-L record, unless they were comparing it to the ghosts of Lewis field past.

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
That's fair--only he knows his motives. However, with as many times as he's been "out-coached" and his teams have been unprepared for big games, I think the "Clueless" part of my statement is pretty accurate. Let's face it, for $5M/yr. and the results he's produced--1 conference title in 15 years (which will likely be the only one he ever produces,) he's extremely overpaid.
He’s definitely fair game for criticism. I wouldn’t go as far as to say he’s clueless, but I would say he has a track record of poor game management. I think he has done a great job for the program overall and he has been a very good “CEO.” He has been hit-and-miss with assistants, most notably the DC selections are suspect. He has made some poor judgments regarding QB choices as well. But he has done a fantastic job of branding the OSU football program as something attractive to fans and recruits.

Bottom line: he’s a mixed bag. We could do worse, a lot worse. There is a chance we could do better. I’m not willing to take that chance... yet.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
Did you ever consider that for he is being paid for staying and being one of us and not for his results? That seemed to be the motive behind the last extension and raise and not his W-L record, unless they were comparing it to the ghosts of Lewis field past.
Well that's pretty GD derelict business right there. If that's the case the person driving that motive should be fired.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla

What the heck are you talking about it was one game and we had 5 turnovers... fighting for bowl eligibility?? Guess you are doing what you claim Gundy has done and giving up...

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

How can you say we're fighting for bowl eligibility when we're only six games into the season and we've already won four of them?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2018
OKC
Well that's pretty GD derelict business right there. If that's the case the person driving that motive should be fired.
Unfortunately that was the mindset of the regents, who over Holder's and Burn's objections, gave Gundy yet another raise and extension two years ago. They pissed down their leg fearing the past instead of looking at whether this is as far as this guy can take us.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
I see one more likely win against Kansas, and the rest as toss ups. I just hope Chuba stays healthy, ‘cause we have nothing behind him.
as long as Sanders cuts down the turnovers we can beat anyone left in the schedule. I mean heck the number 3 team in the country full of 5 star players lost to a vastly inferior opponent today simply because they turned the ball over 4 times.

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
as long as Sanders cuts down the turnovers we can beat anyone left in the schedule. I mean heck the number 3 team in the country full of 5 star players lost to a vastly inferior opponent today simply because they turned the ball over 4 times.
I agree that we can beat anyone besides OU if we clean things up, I’m just not sure we will with the offense we’re running. We’ve basically got three plays: Chuba, bubble screen, throw into double coverage to Tylan. We’re barely even trying to get the ball to anyone else. Yes, I know Sanders is still learning his progressions, etc., but it doesn’t seem like the offensive staff is doing much to help him gain confidence and distribute the football to our playmakers.

Nov 6, 2010
Ugh. The only time in my life I’ve ever drank to literally drown my sorrows. Wife was out of town and I spent about 9 hours by myself sitting in the same spot as when the game ended drinking. Quite a pathetic site.
I had a similar meltdown the year we beat Georgia. We were riding high, then the very next game lost to some chump team. The next day I told myself it just is not that important. Have had various levels of success adhering to that philosophy since.

Status
Not open for further replies.