Some Football KO Times Announced

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

the truth

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2004

kadune

Bitching about grad school
A/V Subscriber
Oct 4, 2008
CoMo
https://oklahoman.com/article/5632667/11-a.m.-kickoff-for-ou-texas-was-expected

8/30 @ Oregon State 9:30pm FS1

9/7 vs. McNeese St. 7pm ESPN+

9/14 @ Tulsa 2:30pm ESPN/ABC/ESPN2
So I'd like to get some feedback on the 9:30 kickoff with Oregon St. Meaning KO is 10:30 pm for eastern time zone. Which means other than our fans and Oregon St. fans, virtually no one will watch.
It's not that unusual for Pac12 or west coast games. Hence the complaint about east coast bias when it comes to rankings - "no one is awake to watch their games."

Wasn't the Lunt Arizona game also a 9 pm or late start?

Celldweller7

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jul 17, 2004
A very specific place
So I'd like to get some feedback on the 9:30 kickoff with Oregon St. Meaning KO is 10:30 pm for eastern time zone. Which means other than our fans and Oregon St. fans, virtually no one will watch.
As bad as Oregon State was last season, I doubt the matchup would capture national viewers during an earlier kickoff. They lost 5 games by more than 20 points last season (3 by 40 or more) and 2 by 19, on the road to a 2-10 season (in the 3 seasons before 2018 they went, 1-11, 4-8, 2-10 or 7-29).

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
https://oklahoman.com/article/5632667/11-a.m.-kickoff-for-ou-texas-was-expected

8/30 @ Oregon State 9:30pm FS1

9/7 vs. McNeese St. 7pm ESPN+

9/14 @ Tulsa 2:30pm ESPN/ABC/ESPN2
It's not that unusual for Pac12 or west coast games. Hence the complaint about east coast bias when it comes to rankings - "no one is awake to watch their games."

Wasn't the Lunt Arizona game also a 9 pm or late start?
It’s also why of lot of fans are happy that OSU didn’t migrate to the PAC 12 a few years back. I can handle it for one game. Several times a year would get old fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
It's opening weekend, with games from Thursday through Monday & it's a holiday weekend. This isn't a big matchup, outside of the 2 fanbases, so it'll draw some casual viewers.

The only matchup going on at the same time that's gonna draw interest is Fresno St. vs. USC, that's it.

Celldweller7

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jul 17, 2004
A very specific place
It’s also why of lot of fans are happy that OSU didn’t migrate to the PAC 12 a few years back. I can handle it for one game. Several times a year would get old fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I really think if it was a conference matchup, the conference would want to make games more readily available for both teams and would schedule cross time zones games in viewer friendly positions. This is a P12 home game and we are visitors on their time schedule.

the truth

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2004
As bad as Oregon State was last season, I doubt the matchup would capture national viewers during an earlier kickoff. They lost 5 games by more than 20 points last season (3 by 40 or more) and 2 by 19, on the road to a 2-10 season (in the 3 seasons before 2018 they went, 1-11, 4-8, 2-10 or 7-29).
Oregon St. is bad and I get that. Opening weekend, regardless if they are bad and/or we are bad. It's a P5 matchup, if it was on at 8 eastern, 5 pacific we'd get a whole new clientele to watch the game. Especially east of the Mississippi.
It's not hot in Corvalis, no reason not to play at 5 their time. What a wasted opportunity.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Oregon St. is bad and I get that. Opening weekend, regardless if they are bad and/or we are bad. It's a P5 matchup, if it was on at 8 eastern, 5 pacific we'd get a whole new clientele to watch the game. Especially east of the Mississippi.
It's not hot in Corvalis, no reason not to play at 5 their time. What a wasted opportunity.
I'd like to see us set up a higher profile neutral site matchup, a la the FSU game. There are more & more of those on opening weekend & they'd deliver more of what you're wanting.

To your larger point, though, I think we generally get enough chances to get seen out of the central time zone during conference play.

Aug 16, 2012
I am there. Wife is Oregon State alum, from there and all her family is along I-5 from Eugene to Portland. We are going up this year and they are coming down next year. Each has to sit in the home team side of the stadium!!

It's great if you are going to the game and plan to tailgate at Bandon Dunes
That would be great, but it is a good three hours away and an insane $335/round in August-September....pass. We are going to play Corvallis Country Club where B-I-L is a member.

the truth

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2004
I'd like to see us set up a higher profile neutral site matchup, a la the FSU game. There are more & more of those on opening weekend & they'd deliver more of what you're wanting.

To your larger point, though, I think we generally get enough chances to get seen out of the central time zone during conference play.
I'm not a fan of the "high profile" matchups for us. Against an FSU type program (not now, but generally) we aren't going to win those matchups. Now, against a Mississippi St. type program I have no problem. We have no margin for error as a non-blueblood.
In regards to being on tv for our conference games, we need every opportunity we can get when it comes to being seen. Not sure how much it helps, as I don't think most HS football players watch a ton of college football anyway.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I'm not a fan of the "high profile" matchups for us. Against an FSU type program (not now, but generally) we aren't going to win those matchups. Now, against a Mississippi St. type program I have no problem. We have no margin for error as a non-blueblood.
In regards to being on tv for our conference games, we need every opportunity we can get when it comes to being seen. Not sure how much it helps, as I don't think most HS football players watch a ton of college football anyway.
Yeah, Miss St. is probably a better matchup. Just don't know that you gain that much by it if they turn out to be mediocre in the end.

LakeCowboy

#golfschool
A/V Subscriber
May 14, 2009
Edmond, OK
I am there. Wife is Oregon State alum, from there and all her family is along I-5 from Eugene to Portland. We are going up this year and they are coming down next year. Each has to sit in the home team side of the stadium!!

That would be great, but it is a good three hours away and an insane $335/round in August-September....pass. We are going to play Corvallis Country Club where B-I-L is a member.
It's a good price for what it is though. Pacific Dunes is #2 on the US Public Top 100.