So who is next?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 29, 2006
I'll start the thread........

looking at the last two coaches we can clearly see the difference in a guy that can coach and one that can't. As emotional as we all are right now and want a alum to come in and save the day, Doug G is too much of a gamble.

Having said that, if he could retain the staff or at least enough to carry on BU's offense he might work. Underwood my be an A** for pulling a Kevin Durant but his offense was unstoppable. Or hire one of the assistants.

Other than that who are the potential candidates???

Sep 1, 2011
Wish list that's not possible. It have to say it anyways: self and Marshall.

People I would like with a decent shot at: 1) Miller from Dayton. 2) Tim Jankovich.

I would love gottleib. I figure if there is ever a time now is it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kent

Wrangler
Aug 30, 2011

looking at the last two coaches we can clearly see the difference in a guy that can coach and one that can't. As emotional as we all are right now and want a alum to come in and save the day, Doug G is too much of a gamble.

Having said that, if he could retain the staff or at least enough to carry on BU's offense he might work. Underwood my be an A** for pulling a Kevin Durant but his offense was unstoppable. Or hire one of the assistants.

Forbes would be a nice hire....but again we will just be on the coaching search every couple years. lets hire Doug G and see if his drive and passion, can get us where we want to go. Give the man a shot....Bring him home!

Kent

Wrangler
Aug 30, 2011
Who is going to want this job? An AD that is not going to support/pay a winner.
Doug is begging for this shot. His fire and passion. His love for Stillwater. Seriously how many people love Stillwater. Give the man a chance! lets bring him home!

Feb 28, 2007
Edmond
Doug is begging for this shot. His fire and passion. His love for Stillwater. Seriously how many people love Stillwater. Give the man a chance! lets bring him home!
I was a big "let's Hire Doug" supporter last year and I will admit I was wrong. Underwood was the right hire. However, the situation/circumstances are right for that hire now. Let's do it, after we fire Holder.

Sep 8, 2014
The back 40
This...AND if Holder really is the problem, Doug will let us know in no uncertain terms----and probably get away with it. More love for Doug in the OSU family than holder...

Sep 10, 2013
Giving Doug a chance sounds good.... At least when he tells a recruit he will be there, they will be more likely to believe him! Problem is, will any recruits take a chance on a new coach with no experience? Huge gamble, and wondering if Holder will make the best decision for the program or what will keep his butt out of the bond fire the fan base is creating for him......

Jan 28, 2008
OKC, OK
I swear to all that is sacred, I will go postal if I see one comment suggesting OSU pursue that coach who was a former player in the 80's and now resides in Lawrence, KS. Please. Don't do it.

Aug 8, 2008
OKC

I don't care anymore.

Mar 27, 2008
People wanting to hire Doug. Why don't we also ask Phil Forte to interview for the position as well? He is very well-spoken and one of the great Cowboy Basketball players. He also has just as much experience coaching as Doug does. Phil Forte could be a great hire.

Edit: This post was made tongue-in-cheek to show just how insane I think it would be to hire someone who has never coached before. I only put in Phil's name because he is an outstanding intelligent young man and I COULD actually see him getting hired on somewhere to coach and eventually coming back to Stillwater. Doing what Doug should have done if he actually wanted the job, go get some experience first.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2008
Texas
Then why are you here?

As far as Doug goes, when we hired Mikes we passed on a young Mike Gundy. Next time around we grabbed him and it has turned out great. I'd look at successfull mid major tourney coached first but I wouldn't blink an I at a Doug hire

Don't dog on him. It's Holder that's been the genesis for Cowboy fans apathy.

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
People wanting to hire Doug. Why don't we also ask Phil Forte to interview for the position as well? He is very well-spoken and one of the great Cowboy Basketball players. He also has just as much experience coaching as Doug does. Phil Forte could be a great hire.
Doug did grow up in a college coaches family.

CampusCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO
I will say I was against DG last year because of his inexperience, but he did grow up in a coaching family and played under Eddie Sutton, one of the greatest college coaches of all time. I bet he learned how to coach defense.

The biggest thing about the college sports business today is finding someone that won't bolt at the first chance they get. We found that in Gundy and DG would be the same way. The way Holder mismanages contract situations, we need someone with loyalty to OSU or they will leave.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
It's not what we want but what holder wants. I think Travis Ford will get a 2nd chance and make him the richest coach in all of basketball.