So...travelling?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

GodsPeace

Joshua 1:9
Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
My wife has been trying for years to get her dad to the ocean. We've been down at Port Aransas a couple of times and she's been to Florida some. She loves Destin.

I'm just not sure it's safe to go with Covid-19 and current distress in society. I'm praying it calms down. She wants to do it. Her dad is aging fairly quickly at this point and he's hesitant to say the least, same with my Mother In law.

Any thoughts are suggestions?

The bottom line, I don't want to be a prisoner of fear nor do I want to take unnecessary risk. That reads stupid to me.

#1 Pokes Fan

Territorial Marshal
Mar 27, 2012
Wishing I was in Stillwater
My wife has been trying for years to get her dad to the ocean. We've been down at Port Aransas a couple of times and she's been to Florida some. She loves Destin.

I'm just not sure it's safe to go with Covid-19 and current distress in society. I'm praying it calms down. She wants to do it. Her dad is aging fairly quickly at this point and he's hesitant to say the least, same with my Mother In law.

The bottom line, I don't want to be a prisoner of fear nor do I want to take unnecessary risk. That reads stupid to me.
My wife and I left Monday morning and went to Branson. We enjoy going to antique stores. We've been there many times before but it was VERY empty this time. Minimal people and almost non-existent traffic since the entertainment is still closed. I was fine with it since we weren't there for any of the shows anyway. Probably 75% of the restaurants were open with social distancing in effect but any fast food establishments were drive through only still. We were going to go to Wichita on Thursday morning for a couple of days, but due to the nightly "protests", we opted to stay in redneck country and went to Eureka Springs. About half of the businesses there were open and their restaurant policies were almost identical to Branson. Very few people there as well. Many hotels were virtually empty or completely closed in both places. We left this morning to come home. We stopped for a burger at The Garage in Shawnee and it was balls to the wall, business as usual there. Traffic was minimal until afternoon in OKC but still not too bad. Arkansas and Missouri seem to be two to three weeks behind Oklahoma on opening up. I can't speak for other states. All and all, it was not too bad since we were one of the very few out and about.

Mar 11, 2006
I would go. We were considering Destin area for next weekend. But now we’ve decided to go whitewater rafting northwest of Blue Ridge, GA.

marshmo

Wrangler
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2013
Get that man to the sea. Seriously, go.

We have postponed a trip to Seattle for the third time since this started in March.
Supposed to go end of the month but I don't know how these riots will play out.

GodsPeace

Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
Get that man to the sea. Seriously, go.

We have postponed a trip to Seattle for the third time since this started in March.
Supposed to go end of the month but I don't know how these riots will play out.
The riots and mayhem are my greatest concerns.

Oct 30, 2007

I would probably go if they were healthy, but wait until next year if they fall into an at-risk category. Just use common sense.

Oct 30, 2007
They do. My wife has planned this well, but Covid-19 is enough of a concern without running into a riot.
I wouldn't worry too much about the riots. They seem to be calming down. But the way this year is going, I expect the zombie apocalypse to start any time now.

GodsPeace

Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
I wouldn't worry too much about the riots. They seem to be calming down. But the way this year is going, I expect the zombie apocalypse to start any time now.
No doubt. I feel like the riots have subsided for now, but next week someone will do something stupid on camera.

GodsPeace

Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
I may have read you wrong. I was thinking he was going down hill and this may be one of the last opportunities.
He's not THAT OLD, but he is declining rather rapidly. He got OLD overnight it seems. He's had serious back issues that have been operated on. His rod in his back got Staff. This is a guy that worked in the oil fields and ran ranches for nearly 50yrs of his life. He's been all over the country but never seen the ocean.

My wife is struggling with watching him age, and has been 100% guarding them both like a Correctional Officer because both compromised in ways. Honestly, I think they may end up being too scared to go, but my wife is trying. I'm on the fence because of all that is going on.

Any other year, this would be a no brainer.

My wife is worried that he doesn't have long, but I think that is because he seemed to get old overnight. Dude was an absolute beast and now he struggles to even walk. He still won't stay sitting. He still hates to be inside. He tries to work as much as possible but the worry is further injury.

I'm rambling lol

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I don’t want to give it away but dang it...this man has never seen the ocean! Go to Grayton Beach specifically...past Destin on 30-a. Destin is too big and Grayton is a small town on the ocean and IF travels hasn’t picked back up yet you will catch it just right...the only issue is that it likely already has and it may be to late to catch it in low crowd mode. Grayton is my favorite beach on the Gulf of Mexico and imho the best of old Florida still. If that doesn’t work go even further down the coast to one of the other lessor known but outstanding places on the islands past Mexico beach. Stay completely clear of Panama city and imho Destin as well...both too touristy and overrun. Wife and I were in Grayton when we had to reschedule our trip to Mexico in early March. No worries and very nice people. We have since been to Arkansas twice on day trips and New Mexico for the long weekend. Just be smart and steer clear of crowds it’s not hard to social distance if you do some route research and city research. Life is too short to live in fear...still be careful as it’s also even shorter if you aren’t. Balance my friends!

GodsPeace

Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
Alright, so we are running into a snag.

AirBnB won't refund money if we cancel due to beach closing or Covid-19.

Any suggestions to get around this or what to look at?

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Alright, so we are running into a snag.

AirBnB won't refund money if we cancel due to beach closing or Covid-19.

Any suggestions to get around this or what to look at?
Beaches aren't going to close...they have been there and done that and bought the t-shirt...Covid19 won't resurge in summer in NW florida...at least I doubt it seriously. It's not Miami, it's decidedly more country and the Panhandle is beautiful even if you don't go to the beach...lots of springs around the area...just pretty dang hot this time of year if beach isn't available...Once again, I think they are just covering their butts because of what happened in March. Btw, they closed the beaches the last day of our visit and we went home...they refunded our last night that time...but since they didn't have control they really didn't have too...Covid was new then and people were scared, the town however thought the whole thing was insane to close the beaches...the locals are HIGHLY against doing that ever again as it killed their business for 2 months. I just can't see them allowing that to happen again. But it is a small risk. Timed right the beaches around Graton can be nearly vacant if you are able to go to the state park do that...

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Social distancing on the beach at spring break no less...you’ll never see this picture on cnn...
Ugh...my in laws are super antsy about doing this and I think we may either end up in Texas or somewhere with no ocean coast. :(
Texas is a bad idea...their coast literally sucks and is like going to a muddy lake. White sugar sands in northern Florida and crystal clear water are amazing...just look at the weather forcast as that's more of a hindrance than is Covid...tell them to turn off the "news." Riots and protest are in the big cities...stay away from big cities. Lol, if they live in OKC or Tulsa the Florida Panhandle coast is less crowded and more socially distant..https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/florida/best-beach-country-fl/

GodsPeace

Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
Social distancing on the beach at spring break no less...you’ll never see this picture on cnn...

Texas is a bad idea...their coast literally sucks and is like going to a muddy lake. White sugar sands in northern Florida and crystal clear water are amazing...just look at the weather forcast as that's more of a hindrance than is Covid...tell them to turn off the "news." Riots and protest are in the big cities...stay away from big cities. Lol, if they live in OKC or Tulsa the Florida Panhandle coast is less crowded and more socially distant..https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/florida/best-beach-country-fl/
They live in Stillwater. I don't want to do Texas, it is a back up at this point.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
They live in Stillwater. I don't want to do Texas, it is a back up at this point.
When is the trip? When planning in summer just be weather aware...typically that area is pretty good but they do have an occasional hurricane and tropical storm. Also get a house and spend a little extra so you can really totally socially distance...then you can have breakfast at home and even dinners and lunches if you want. We do this when we travel these days...that should give them more comfort than they would have staying in a big hotel...plan it and show them pictures of the house you are renting...if they still don't want to go, at least you gave it a good effort and it's on them...

GodsPeace

Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
When is the trip? When planning in summer just be weather aware...typically that area is pretty good but they do have an occasional hurricane and tropical storm. Also get a house and spend a little extra so you can really totally socially distance...then you can have breakfast at home and even dinners and lunches if you want. We do this when we travel these days...that should give them more comfort than they would have staying in a big hotel...plan it and show them pictures of the house you are renting...if they still don't want to go, at least you gave it a good effort and it's on them...
Few weeks. Yeah, we are getting a house for those specific reasons. Texas was the choice that made the in-laws willing to do it. There we go.