So OU is getting rid of Cale Gundy and keeping Mike Stoops!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
I’m bummed about Cale if it actually comes to fruition. Lincoln’s fingerprint is so fully engrained on the offense though, there’s not much room for growth. Cale’s always been a great recruiter though. That sting will be felt. Lincoln has made good hires so far though. He just poached a coach from Georgia though, so who knows what capacity he’ll be working in. Riley was also a wide receiver coordinator at one point too. So he may have a bit of a stranglehold on how he wants that done.

No doubt Mike is on thin ice, but it hasn’t cracked yet. He’s getting his highly ranked personnel. A lot of the busts in the defense were players being out of position. So that’s not wrong. They’re moving Kenneth Murray to will and he was front and center at a lot of those busted runs against Georgia. I’m not excusing Mike. I just think Riley hasn’t found the guy to replace him...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 31, 2012
Near Ardmore, Okla
I’m bummed about Cale if it actually comes to fruition. Lincoln’s fingerprint is so fully engrained on the offense though, there’s not much room for growth. Cale’s always been a great recruiter though. That sting will be felt. Lincoln has made good hires so far though. He just poached a coach from Georgia though, so who knows what capacity he’ll be working in. Riley was also a wide receiver coordinator at one point too. So he may have a bit of a stranglehold on how he wants that done.

No doubt Mike is on thin ice, but it hasn’t cracked yet. He’s getting his highly ranked personnel. A lot of the busts in the defense were players being out of position. So that’s not wrong. They’re moving Kenneth Murray to will and he was front and center at a lot of those busted runs against Georgia. I’m not excusing Mike. I just think Riley hasn’t found the guy to replace him...

Just how many coaches been hired by Riley besides McNeil?

snuffy

Free Harambe!
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
So I was wrong about Cale, but Mike Stoops is still coaching at OU. I can only assume at this point he has pictures of Boren or something of that level.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
Who knows. But in spite of it, OU recruiting on defense as good as any of the stoops era, and definitely recruiting overall better than they have in the past decade. Dont know what the D will look like, but they are stocking talent, it'll just be young for a couple years

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
Who knows. But in spite of it, OU recruiting on defense as good as any of the stoops era, and definitely recruiting overall better than they have in the past decade. Dont know what the D will look like, but they are stocking talent, it'll just be young for a couple years
Yup. If the defense performs the way it did in 2013-2015 then we have a new national title.

The cupboard will be stocked defensively anyway. No matter who the coordinator is. It’s feels weird to say... but I think the offense next year is actually going to be more explosive than it was last year. That’s not going away.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
Yup, it's very exciting to be an OU fan right now. Kind of looking forward to watching the defense play this year which is just not something i thought i'd ever say

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
Oklahoma just hired Bob Diaco as a Defensive Analyst. He won the Broyles award in 2012 as the defensive coordinator of Notre Dame. Mike may have his days numbered by a guy steeped in 3-4 knowledge.