So, Iran...

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Bowers2

Stackin' Joe's Cups
A/V Subscriber
Jul 31, 2006
Edmond
If the past two years are any indication, Trump will fire Bolton soonish.

Trump reportedly vexed with advisers' approach to rising tensions with Iran

• President Donald Trump wants to take a diplomatic strategy when it comes to lowering recent tensions with Iran, rather than allowing it to spiral into an armed conflict, several officials said, according to a Washington Post report published Wednesday.
  • Trump's sentiment is reportedly at odds with some of his staff, including national security adviser John Bolton.
  • Foreign policy hardliners like Bolton have alleged that recent provocations from Tehran and its associates were proof that it is plotting against the US.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
If the past two years are any indication, Trump will fire Bolton soonish.

Trump reportedly vexed with advisers' approach to rising tensions with Iran
You've heard of the tenth man? Famed by the Israelis? Whenever a decision is made that will put lives on the line, the last vote must be against the majority. I've always respected that idea wether true or not. Weird that the president wants to play that role, but someone should. Not sure Trump will say "no" to conflict as is the rule, but whoever says it, must defend their answer with all their might. Even if the majority is 99%.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
I'm old enough to remember the news counting down the days of the hostage crisis. Not old enough to really understand but enough to know it was going on. By the time I was a freshman we were having F--k Iran parties in Whilam (sp) south. I can't even imagine what some of our ME students thought about this, but in my defense, they were damn good parties. Everyone wore American flags and this one nice lady painted one on her chest that looked like it was a shirt. Simple times when you could offend everyone.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
I'm old enough to remember the news counting down the days of the hostage crisis. Not old enough to really understand but enough to know it was going on. By the time I was a freshman we were having F--k Iran parties in Whilam (sp) south. I can't even imagine what some of our ME students thought about this, but in my defense, they were damn good parties. Everyone wore American flags and this one nice lady painted one on her chest that looked like it was a shirt. Simple times when you could offend everyone.
Let's just say that during my freshman year I had a (very) physical encounter with a Palestinian student at Wilham South who started chanting "Death to Israel" on the elevator. I was a freshman in 1980. Otherwise, all the Iranian students I knew denounced the Ayatollah, were good dudes, and great sources of party supplies.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Let's just say that during my freshman year I had a (very) physical encounter with a Palestinian student at Wilham South who started chanting "Death to Israel" on the elevator. I was a freshman in 1980. Otherwise, all the Iranian students I knew denounced the Ayatollah, were good dudes, and great sources of party supplies.
Ever play elevator pinball?

Dec 29, 2008
Stillwater
As the son of Iranian immigrants and who lived in Wilham South for 2 years I agree, they are indeed good dudes.

Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
Right now somewhere in Tehran someone is saying "those American people are pretty cool, I don't know how they have such effed up leadership, but I like the people."
doubtful... their people are likely saying just the opposite...

the US leadership is finally good, if only we could get the US people off of their "hands off", PC positions.

Obama screwed them big-time... I'm certain that most of them have more confidence in Trump to help them

John C

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Oct 13, 2011
Two of the three biggest arses I ever worked with were Iranians. Real POS types who would lie about anything. Alternatively, I have three good friends who are Iranians.

Aug 16, 2012
I was at Willham the following fall (any chance you were in the penthouse then?). There was an Iranian guy on our floor that was a snappy dresser and always clean, but did have BO pretty bad. Anyway, there were always the rumors about him but one night we got to actually meet him and he was a pretty cool guy. Bought pizza for us a few nights in a row after that. Never hung with him again after that, but casual encounters were always cordial.
Then there was the one Iranian who always wandered the hall in the same beat-up blue slacks and shirt with shoes worn to bits, wildly unkempt, insanely odoriferous, always meandering about never seeming to actually go anywhere. Rumors were he was some sort of savant, but who knows. But to your point, I never encountered any that were adversarial.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
I was at Willham the following fall (any chance you were in the penthouse then?). There was an Iranian guy on our floor that was a snappy dresser and always clean, but did have BO pretty bad. Anyway, there were always the rumors about him but one night we got to actually meet him and he was a pretty cool guy. Bought pizza for us a few nights in a row after that. Never hung with him again after that, but casual encounters were always cordial.
Then there was the one Iranian who always wandered the hall in the same beat-up blue slacks and shirt with shoes worn to bits, wildly unkempt, insanely odoriferous, always meandering about never seeming to actually go anywhere. Rumors were he was some sort of savant, but who knows. But to your point, I never encountered any that were adversarial.
The guy I was friends with (and still keep in touch with) was immaculately dressed and groomed, and was a straight A engineering student. He took one of my buddies and me to a Yes (Buggles?) concert in Tulsa, and we found out our seats were cut out by the band's mixing board, so Civic Center personnel put us on the front row! He also took us to see Jethro Tull at Lloyd Noble in enemy territory.

Nope, I was not in the penthouse but I am worried the statute of limitations has not expired so I won't say what floor I was on! ;)