Snake/Copperhead repellant

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 10, 2004
Stillwater
We moved to the SW part of Stillwater last year on 2.5acres.Very wooded.My wife is scared to death of snakes but we have yet to see one.Does anyone have recommendations that have worked to keep snakes away? I am tired of her crying around about being scared.

Oct 30, 2007
Cats seem to keep snakes away. Truth be told, I prefer snakes over cats though.

Remove any heavy brush, wood piles, etc. close to the house. Snakes seem to really like that type of environment.

bleedinorange

Federal Marshal
Jan 11, 2010
In Pokey's head
We moved to the SW part of Stillwater last year on 2.5acres.Very wooded.My wife is scared to death of snakes but we have yet to see one.Does anyone have recommendations that have worked to keep snakes away? I am tired of her crying around about being scared.
You can reassure he that she will never see the one that bites her.

There, problem solved. :rolleyes:

Dec 4, 2011
Get some Guinea fowl and show her some articles from the internet about how good they are at killing small snakes and driving large ones away, and as LS1 mentioned, just remove the habitat that snakes like.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Cats seem to keep snakes away. Truth be told, I prefer snakes over cats though.

Remove any heavy brush, wood piles, etc. close to the house. Snakes seem to really like that type of environment.
this and keep the lawn mowed

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
Cats. They keep away the things that snakes like to eat.
This. Keep rats and mice controlled and snakes will not be a problem. Cats and strategically placed bar baits should be sufficient.
There are commercially available snake "repellents" and a host of myths and home remedies, but there is a lack of scientific proof that they work. You and I can bottle tap water and market it as "snake repellent".
I have lived my entire life in "snake country", crawling around in turkey woods, mushroom hunting, predator calling, etc., even hunted rattlers and am no worse for the wear. So, I suspect your wife can dismiss her unfounded phobia. My only snake bite occurred in the water while wade fishing.
If one prefers a more natural landscape, we should not expect a sterile environment.

MSteph57

Territorial Marshal
Aug 14, 2008
Near enemy territory.
Whenever I killed one I would drag it around the yard so that it's scent was around. Snakes have fairly sensitive olfactory receptors so the scent of a snake that was stressed out about being killed will be enough to ward off other snakes. Plus I would put the body on the fence to serve as a warning to the others. Very much a serial killer move...yes but it always work for a while.

Mar 3, 2004
Smithville,TX
If you've never seen one tell her you read that when you drink really great beer and urinate on the ground the enzymes in the pee will keep snakes away. That gives you an excuse to wander around outside in the trees drinking beer. Many problems solved at once.

msq2

Banned
Banned
Aug 27, 2009
Whenever I killed one I would drag it around the yard so that it's scent was around. Snakes have fairly sensitive olfactory receptors so the scent of a snake that was stressed out about being killed will be enough to ward off other snakes. Plus I would put the body on the fence to serve as a warning to the others. Very much a serial killer move...yes but it always work for a while.
I've always had hawks grab them.