SJW's Going After Yet Another Restaurant

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddr...clean-chinese-food-menu/ar-BBVQBuy?li=BBnbfcL

This is about the 10th article I've seen in the last few months where people are outraged over what they want to call cultural appropriation by a restaurant. The one that drew the most attention was Gordon Ramsay's new Asian place, which doesn't have an Asian as the head chef.

With Ramsay's place, people were adamant that he has no right to open his own place if he doesn't employ an Asian to cook the food. With the place mentioned in the article above, you get responses like this:

“It’s unacceptable for you to open a store like this in NEW YORK where you co-opt and profit off a culture that isn’t yours without explicitly acknowledging where your money AND idea is coming from. Please educate yourself. Please spare us.”

One of the others I read about was a fried chicken place, which of course suffered a barrage of "give credit for credit is due" type remarks.

So I pose the same questions I did on some other forums regarding this notion that it's cultural appropriation, not giving credit where it's due, "acknowledging where your money AND idea is coming from."

Who actually thinks it's their right to determine who can open what type of restaurant? What would actually qualify someone to open a restaurant & do it "the right way?" How would "credit where credit is due" &
"acknowledging where your money AND idea is coming from." work?

I'm sorry, but this is one of the most ridiculous thing I think I've ever seen. Scarier is the fact that there are people who apparently believe what they're writing.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
If I can paraphrase something I heard recently. This is what happens when the demand to be offended is greater than the supply of things to be offended by.

I can't imagine going through life WANTING to be offended all the time like this. What a sad existence.

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
If I can paraphrase something I heard recently. This is what happens when the demand to be offended is greater than the supply of things to be offended by.

I can't imagine going through life WANTING to be offended all the time like this. What a sad existence.
I am offended by your lack of offensiveness!

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO

I posed those same questions from above to a couple of posters who were going off on the restaurants mentioned. Literally got no solution offered at all, & a few "it's just wrong" responses. Wtf is that??

Aug 16, 2012
Had a ranch-style house built last year. I am still offended neither the architect or contractor were cowboys or had ever even been on a horse. Outraged, I tell you.

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
Had a ranch-style house built last year. I am still offended neither the architect or contractor were cowboys or had ever even been on a horse. Outraged, I tell you.
If it is not in Hidden Valley, it can't be a ranch house! I am offended by your misuse of the word!

Jul 15, 2010
Dallas and Istanbul
I was born in Oklahoma but live in Texas. Am I not supposed to assimilate and become a Texan or is it cultural appropriation? Do I need to move back to Oklahoma? Can I ride horses, wear western gear? I'm so confused.

Jul 10, 2009
Stillwater, OK
If it's wrong to sell food outside of your culture, it surely is wrong to consume food from cultures other than your own. No Mexican, pizza, Chinese, Thai, middle eastern, etc. for me. I think I'll go jump off a tall building.

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
I don't see the issue here. In Tulsa we have real Mexicans making real Mexican food. We also have real Mexicans making Italian food, fast food, bar food, Irish food. About the only place we don't have real Mexicans making food is in Asian restaurants. Ahhhhh NOW I see the problem!

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
So, I want to make sure that I understand this correctly, the Social Justice people would like to segregate jobs, music, etc based on race?