Since the OAMC Class of 1927...

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Only 5 other classes have spent four years in Stillwater and not been represented by an athletics team that won a national championship.

Those are the only 5 classes that did not get a national title in at least one sport in their four years on campus.

Pretty impressive athletic program.

pokefan05

Knickas on Backward
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa
Only 5 other classes have spent four years in Stillwater and not been represented by an athletics team that won a national championship.

Those are the only 5 classes that did not get a national title in at least one sport in their four years on campus.

Especially when you consider schools like tech who has 1 NC all time or Kansas state who has NEVER won a national championship in any sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 27, 2012
Wishing I was in Stillwater

A lot of people I know, it took five years for a degree....:whistle:

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
I must say, I really feel like Mike Boynton made a great point that our fan base needs to listen to. He said that our own fans in the state of Oklahoma don't really understand how big the OSU brand is nationally in basketball, that our name still carries a great deal of respect across the country. I really feel the same about our entire athletic department. I don't think our own fans (most) value just how storied and successful our athletics are as a whole. What our athletics have achieved is nothing short of astounding given our geography and resources available.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
I must say, I really feel like Mike Boynton made a great point that our fan base needs to listen to. He said that our own fans in the state of Oklahoma don't really understand how big the OSU brand is nationally in basketball, that our name still carries a great deal of respect across the country. I really feel the same about our entire athletic department. I don't think our own fans (most) value just how storied and successful our athletics are as a whole. What our athletics have achieved is nothing short of astounding given our geography and resources available.
I've been saying this for a while. I think we get beaten down so much in our home state with the "nobody cares about wrestling or golf" argument from Sooner fans, and they are so much better than us in football, that we just kind of put our tails between our legs and stay quiet. When we move to Dallas, KC, Houston, or elsewhere people from other programs are always surprised when we tell them about how good OSU is at non-football sports unless they're hyper involved in those sports. I think it's just overall poor marketing internally and apathy among the fan base that causes this.

I'll add this too. I've never been a huge Holder supporter. There's been some really bad things come out of his tenure as AD.

But, I must give credit where it is due as well. There's been a WHOLE LOT OF GREAT during his tenure as AD too. Props to him.
I'm at a point where I'm not going to tolerate people bashing Holder. He has done far more good than bad for our athletic program... and has taken a lot of blame for shit that has been completely out of his control.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2011
Houston
WE as a university sports entity would be NO WHERE without Holder! He put the money together for Karsten Creek, had the concept of where he wanted the OSU athletic department to be, and made it happen. Boone didn't just come in and say here is some money, make it happen. He worked on Boone and made BPS happen with Boone's help. He has raised money for the indoor facility, the Tennis Center, the Soccer stadium, the baseball field, etc. His only bad was Ford. Can you imagine any business that has attained immense success that didn't have a Steve Jobs or a Bill Gates that had the original concept for the business. Any endeavour always has to have that person with the vision guiding the effort. Thank you Coach Holder.

Last edited:

SKC

Deputy
Apr 1, 2007
Prosper, TX
This isn't a knock on Holder, but Holder is AD because of Boone. MH has done a great deal of fund raising for the University, and that is undisputed. But, Boone wanted Holder to be AD and that was a stipulation prior to his big gift. So, I'm hesitant to tag that all to Mike's hard work.

He HAS done many good things for the school, and I'm thankful for the facilities that have been built / renovated during his tenure.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
This isn't a knock on Holder, but Holder is AD because of Boone. MH has done a great deal of fund raising for the University, and that is undisputed. But, Boone wanted Holder to be AD and that was a stipulation prior to his big gift. So, I'm hesitant to tag that all to Mike's hard work.

He HAS done many good things for the school, and I'm thankful for the facilities that have been built / renovated during his tenure.
Holder went out and broke the ice with Boone to build Karsten Creek. Showed him what could be done with significant funding. That broke the dam and gave Boone the confidence to give to football.

So it's a bit of a chicken/egg situation. Holder deserves way more credit than he will ever accept or receive.

osupsycho

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla

Yeah but the flip of that is that Holder did not want to be AD. He had to be talked into it and realized the good it would do the university if he was AD and got Boones gift because of it so he even sacrificed there.