Since I'm new 'round these parts...

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
I wanted to gauge what everyone's stance is on Big 12 expansion, since it's been awhile since the conference teased a bunch of people about the potential for adding a few teams. I just simply want to hear everyone's opinion. I, personally, am very strongly in the "PLEASE FREAKIN' EXPAND" crowd, as the conference constantly only has one chance to get in the playoff every season (usually OU). We need to have two divisions and possibly 14 teams, hit as many markets as possible.

My ideal teams would be: Cincinnati, Memphis (mainly for basketball, but for SEC country infiltration as well), UCF, and then either one of Colorado or Houston (Colorado being wishful thinking because I wouldn't mind having them back in the conference, regardless of what caused them to leave).

Tell me I'm insane and to let it go. :)

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2006
Boulder
You're right about CU. Folks here really like the PAC12, given that California has always been the mother lode for their recruiting. CU currently ranked 19th, but their opponents records are 6-21.

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
I'm against expansion based on the available candidates. We will not improve the reputation of the conference adding the available programs.

Of course, in the past expansion was about expanding to new TV markets, not bringing in the best programs. It seems with the likely changes to sports broadcasting, the purpose, and even the need, to expand is evolving. As GOR are set to expire in the coming decade it will be interesting to see what happens.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
You're right about CU. Folks here really like the PAC12, given that California has always been the mother lode for their recruiting. CU currently ranked 19th, but their opponents records are 6-21.
Yeah, people don't seem to understand that CU has zero interest in leaving the PAC12.

I'm against expansion based on the available candidates. We will not improve the reputation of the conference adding the available programs.

Of course, in the past expansion was about expanding to new TV markets, not bringing in the best programs. It seems with the likely changes to sports broadcasting, the purpose, and even the need, to expand is evolving. As GOR are set to expire in the coming decade it will be interesting to see what happens.

Completely agree. The motivations for expansion/contraction are changing before our eyes & oddly enough, the Big 12 may be looked on more favorably in the coming years. A smaller conference that delivers a higher per school payout than other P5 conferences, save the SEC & B1G is not the worst deal in the world.

Oct 30, 2007
I would like to expand and strengthen the conference, but I think you have to add programs that are at least on par with what you have now. I don't see any program out there that would strengthen our conference unless someone decides to defect from another power 5 conference. The one exception may be BYU. They have a decent tradition, adequate facilities, and a large national fanbase.

We really screwed up by not stealing Clemson and Florida State back when the ACC was struggling. I think it would be a mistake to add lesser teams now just to get back to 12.

BTW, Welcome to the board.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
the conference constantly only has one chance to get in the playoff every season (usually OU). We need to have two divisions and possibly 14 teams, hit as many markets as possible.
every conference only ever has "one chance" to get in the playoff "every season". It's a very rare year when a conference might get 2 teams in the playoff.

The conference champion has been contested up to the last week more times than not.

I don't see how adding more teams, or splitting into divisions would change anything.

The contracts are set for a while, so any talk is way premature.

It's about TV markets, and there aren't too many of those the B12 can tap into... perhaps Florida (with UCF or USF), and perhaps California with (SDSU)... those are also major recruiting hot beds, and would give the conference coverage in almost every time zone.

Nothing else really makes any sense.

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
I like what you all are throwing out, as far as only going for what strengthens the conference is concerned. My thing is, I included some schools that are a little more on the basketball side. I think it could really work. With Memphis, you're getting a steadily improving football program and a historic basketball program that looks to give KU fits in the next 5-10 years with Penny Hardaway at the helm. Cincinnati, same idea. And one gives us SEC-region exposure, the other gives us Big 10 land exposure. I guess it's a way of guaranteeing that you will get at least something out of the deal.

As far as Cincinnati goes, specifically, it's a recruiting hot bed that flies below the radar. Many guys from the local private schools get recruited by Ohio State. If we could pluck some recruits from there, it would really throw off Ohio State's recruiting game.