Signing Day Part 2

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX
& this is why I said "right now."

No, OSU didn't sink as low as KU, but Les came to both programs coming off a 3-8 season.
KU was clearly upgraded last year, by any objective observer, & lost 3 of their games by a total of 14 points.

Going back 9 years, our low point was zero wins & 3, 3 win seasons.
I was there for 0-10-1. Oh Tannenbaum.
We had lost a ton of scholarships.

However as a Freshman, I did enjoy Barry winning the Heisman

Jun 11, 2016
Oklahoma City
Haven"t been keeping up, don't want to read entire thread. Other than Glass, were any of our recruits offered by major teams?
Well...yes. Boomer had offers from LSU, Ohio St, OU, ND, Texas, etc. Langston Anderson had offers from Ole Miss, Texas, Auburn, etc. Trace Ford had offers from Florida State, Oregon, etc. Costello had an offer from Georgia. That's a VERY shortened version, but just a few off the top of my head.

Dec 28, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
Haven"t been keeping up, don't want to read entire thread. Other than Glass, were any of our recruits offered by major teams?
Other notable P5 offers (per Rivals):

Deondrick Glass RB ****
Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn

Grayson Boomer TE ****
Michigan, Nebraska, Notre Dame, OU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Arkansas, Wisconsin

Langston Anderson WR ***
Arizona, Arizona St, Baylor

Brendan Costello QB ***
Georgia

Dezmon Jackson RB ***
Kansas State

Trace Ford DE ***
Arizona State, Arkansas

Taylor Miterko OT ***
Arizona St, Baylor

Preston Wilson OT ***
Arizona St, Baylor

Cole Birmingham OG ***

Joe Michalski OG ***
Iowa

Jayden Jernigan DT ***
Colorado

Xavier Ross DT ***
Indiana, Purdue

Isreal Isuman-Hundley DE ***
Baylor

Demarco Jones CB ***
Arkansas, OU

bleedinorange

Federal Marshal
Jan 11, 2010
In Pokey's head
Well...yes. Boomer had offers from LSU, Ohio St, OU, ND, Texas, etc. Langston Anderson had offers from Ole Miss, Texas, Auburn, etc. Trace Ford had offers from Florida State, Oregon, etc. Costello had an offer from Georgia. That's a VERY shortened version, but just a few off the top of my head.
Other notable P5 offers (per Rivals):

Deondrick Glass RB ****
Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn

Grayson Boomer TE ****
Michigan, Nebraska, Notre Dame, OU, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Arkansas, Wisconsin

Langston Anderson WR ***

Brendan Costello QB ***
Georgia

Dezmon Jackson RB ***
Kansas State

Trace Ford DE ***
Arizona State, Arkansas

Taylor Miterko OT ***
Arizona St, Baylor

Preston Wilson OT ***
Arizona St, Baylor

Cole Birmingham OG ***

Joe Michalski OG ***
Iowa

Jayden Jernigan DT ***
Colorado

Xavier Ross DT ***
Indiana, Purdue

Isreal Isuman-Hundley DE ***
Baylor

Demarco Jones CB ***
Arkansas, OU
Gracias! And thanks for enabling my laziness. :)

Dec 19, 2012
& this is why I said "right now."

No, OSU didn't sink as low as KU, but Les came to both programs coming off a 3-8 season.
KU was clearly upgraded last year, by any objective observer, & lost 3 of their games by a total of 14 points.

Going back 9 years, our low point was zero wins & 3, 3 win seasons.
The Big XII has changed drastically since Les left OSU. I don't think his power I offense can keep up with the scoring. Add in that it's Kansas who hasn't had any success recently, plus Les' age, and I think Kansas made another horrible hire.

A lot of people credit Les Miles for building the program up for Mike Gundy, but it simply wasn't the case because Gundy had to start over. Gundy dismissed lots of talented guys for building the cowboy culture we know now.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
The Big XII has changed drastically since Les left OSU. I don't think his power I offense can keep up with the scoring. Add in that it's Kansas who hasn't had any success recently, plus Les' age, and I think Kansas made another horrible hire.

A lot of people credit Les Miles for building the program up for Mike Gundy, but it simply wasn't the case because Gundy had to start over. Gundy dismissed lots of talented guys for building the cowboy culture we know now.
Les left the program in much better shape than he found it, end of story. Gundy's first bowl win came with Bobby Reid as QB, for heaven's sake.

Why some people can't just give both he & Gundy credit is beyond me.

DemBoys

Wrangler
Sep 12, 2018
Tulsa
I hate to derail this Les Miles thread but I think Israel Antwine made his transfer official on Wednesday by signing the paperwork.

Dec 19, 2012
Les left the program in much better shape than he found it, end of story. Gundy's first bowl win came with Bobby Reid as QB, for heaven's sake.

Why some people can't just give both he & Gundy credit is beyond me.
I disagree entirely. I was on campus for the Miles to Gundy transition. Miles won when he was here, but he took a lot of talented players that should not have been on campus. (We also had some guys that did deserve to be on campus.)
Due to this, all of the momentum Miles created was lost when he left and Gundy took over. Just look at Gundy's first two years. Les had moxie and could beat OU, but I was happy he left.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I disagree entirely. I was on campus for the Miles to Gundy transition. Miles won when he was here, but he took a lot of talented players that should not have been on campus. (We also had some guys that did deserve to be on campus.)
Due to this, all of the momentum Miles created was lost when he left and Gundy took over. Just look at Gundy's first two years. Les had moxie and could beat OU, but I was happy he left.
Guys like Adarius Bowman, Chris Collins?? Nobody, including Gundy, gets every recruit right.

Again, why is it so hard to give both guys credit? How can someone possibly deny that the program was in better shape when Les left than when he found it?

Yes, Gundy got rid of some bad apples, most notably Prentiss Eliot. He also went to a completely different offense & defense in 2005, which maybe, just maybe affected the W/L record, but was the right move for the future.

Just a few names on the '05 roster:

Donovan Woods (got moved from QB in '05)
Bobby Reid
Julius Crosslin (NFL)
Shawn Willis (NFL)
D'Juan Woods
Tommy Devereaux
Brandon Pettigrew (NFL)
Charlie Johnson (NFL, SB Champion)
Kellen Davis
Corey Hilliard (NFL)
David Koenig
David Washington
JD Bray
XLK
Ryan McBean
Trumain Carroll
Marque Fountain
Nathan Peterson
Victor DeGrate (NFL)
Paul Duren
Lawrence Pinson
Roderick Johnson
Pagitte McGee
Daniel McLemore
Calvin Mickens
Jamar Ransom
Jamie Thompson
Martel Van Zandt
Matt Fodge (Ray Guy Award Winner)

That OL would've started for the last 2 years, fwiw.

We haven't had a TE anywhere near Pettigrew since then.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2010
If Mike Gundy left us for another job, I'd take Les back in a heartbeat. He knows how to beat uo and if you do that, all your other goals just seem to fall into place. Go KU except when they're playing us.

Jun 9, 2008
The Water
Mile changed the culture. He flat out made OSU respectable. Constantly preached not to be scared of teams like OU. I remember him telling his players “the history and overall series record of bedlam is the least important stat”

May 21, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Mile changed the culture. He flat out made OSU respectable. Constantly preached not to be scared of teams like OU. I remember him telling his players “the history and overall series record of bedlam is the least important stat”
Guys this is kinda silly. The $500 million donated by Boone Pickens is what got us here today.

Miles had swagger and he got is player to run through a freaking wall but any success from Miles or Gundy would have been 'temporary at best' without the $500 million.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
I don't know. Still pissed about the Alamo bowl and Les bolting to LSU. Really wanted to play a good game against Ohio state. Coming from Seattle, I had about every obstacle trying to prevent me from getting there. Crazy story short. It was life's signs telling me not go and I did not listen. It took 37 hours to get there, 3 planes and a rent a car and over $3500. Just to have Les burn it all down. So please please crush KU over and over.