Signing Day Part 2

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 30, 2007
So, no defense additions? Glass by Glass May have to perform well beyond the hype.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
He'll probably get a lot more playing time at KU than anywhere else. Les will do the best job at KU like he did at OSU.
But, as soon as he has some success, he'll bolt for greener pastures.
Maybe, but I thought Beatty had started to get some decent players and that he was terminated too early. Kansas has a lot of money due to their basketball success so they can afford to pay Les well if they feel he is doing a good job. Time will tell but he had better not take too much time.

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX
Kansas “fired” Mangino too. Said hurtful things to some players and had anger issues.

Players were divided on it, so makes you wonder. Maybe Craig James could have gotten to the bottom of it, since he did such a great job at uncovering things at Tech.

Jun 11, 2016
Oklahoma City
Very excited about Glass. He's got good weight on him and could see him getting up to around 215 or so and I believe he will be punishing people. He's got good balance and they will get his agility and speed up to match his weight so he wont miss a step. The idea of him, Sanders, CJ Moore, Langston Anderson and all the hogs makes me giddy.

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
Very excited about Glass. He's got good weight on him and could see him getting up to around 215 or so and I believe he will be punishing people. He's got good balance and they will get his agility and speed up to match his weight so he wont miss a step. The idea of him, Sanders, CJ Moore, Langston Anderson and all the hogs makes me giddy.
Umm, excuse me, TYLAN WALLACE ALSO... :whistle:

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Mark Cooper's Signing Day recap...

Oklahoma State lacked quantity Wednesday but packed its small February signing day announcement with quality additions.

After signing 20 players in December, there were only two to tack on Wednesday.

Deondrick Glass, a four-star running back from Katy, Texas, signed with OSU early in the day.

Oklahoma State also formally acknowledged the addition of Israel Antwine, a defensive end who transferred from Colorado at the beginning of the semester.

And that’s it. Though Oklahoma State still had one more scholarship available, it announced the apparent finalization of its 2019 class with a news release at 10:13 a.m.
Mark also breaks down the class...

Three players to watch

Brendan Costello: The 6-foot, 185-pound addition from California is already on campus and is one of only three scholarship quarterbacks on the roster, which means he’s going to need to be ready in case of injury.

Grayson Boomer: According to 247Sports’ composite rankings, Boomer is the highest-rated tight end to come to Oklahoma State in the database (since 2000). Could the 6-foot-5, 230-pound Collinsville native add a dimension to OSU’s offense?

Tom Hutton: The punter tops the list of signees who could play immediately. OSU needs a new punter, and Hutton — who came from Newborough, Victoria, Australia — should compete as a 29-year-old freshman this spring.
ICYMI, Coach Gundy also talked about QB signee Brendan Costello, 4-star receiver Langston Anderson, which defensive signees standout and more. Excerpt:

On why OSU has a tendency to outperform its recruiting ranking, which ranks 37th this year:

Gundy: "It's interesting, we hear a lot about that. We go after and offer and put the pedal down on four-stars and five-stars, geographically and maybe even a little out of our region. Sometimes we don't get as far as the other schools with them. So we really push hard to evaluate players that are within a 6-8 hour drive of Stillwater that fit our culture.

"We try to recruit specifically to our culture and position instead of just taking maybe what would be the best available player on the board, we want to make sure that we have a slot for them and there's not any question we have the best strength coach in the country. We all know this: As coaches, we get our players about six months out of the year. Our strength coach gets them 11 months out of the year. He does the best job in the country of developing our young men, not only physically but mentally. By the time they come to us after they've been with us 2-3 semesters, they get it, they understand our culture and they've been able to show that on the field and in the classroom."

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
He may find it a challenge to do so at KU.
He may, indeed.

I've got to admit, however, that the timing of his hiring's intriguing. With Snyder out at Kstate, Tech breaking in a new coach, & the likelihood that Campbell & Rhule will be gone in the next couple of seasons, he's walking into a league he knows with potentially half the head coaching jobs turning over.

Also, the similarities to where OSU was when he came to Stillwater, & where KU is right now are interesting to me. The real difference I see is that he's a known commodity now who's won a national title & coached at the highest level of college football.

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX
... Also, the similarities to where OSU was when he came to Stillwater, & where KU is right now are interesting to me...
While we weren’t great, we were not as low as Kansas. They have averaged 2 wins per season since Mangino (9 years).
OSU averaged 5 wins per year during Simmons 6 years.
Our low point was 3 wins, that has been KU’s high point with more games per season.
I do agree with the other things in your post.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
While we weren’t great, we were not as low as Kansas. They have averaged 2 wins per season since Mangino (9 years).
OSU averaged 5 wins per year during Simmons 6 years.
Our low point was 3 wins, that has been KU’s high point with more games per season.
I do agree with the other things in your post.
& this is why I said "right now."

No, OSU didn't sink as low as KU, but Les came to both programs coming off a 3-8 season.
KU was clearly upgraded last year, by any objective observer, & lost 3 of their games by a total of 14 points.

Going back 9 years, our low point was zero wins & 3, 3 win seasons.