Sidelines

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
It was the whorns, it was after year that brown pants had the tents or whatever that was up on the sideline to keep our fans from disturbing him
It was both. Here's an article from that time period that puts all the blame on TCU (the longer they're in the conference, the less I like them). The rule also conveniently went into place right before we played Texas.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
Wasn't it Texas that got the Big12 to outlaw noisemakers and make an exception for the paddle people only because they would be on only one end of the field and not allowed to paddle through the play??
Wow...if that is true, the unnecessary amount of control that school has on the conference is ridiculous.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Texas demands by far the most TV eyeballs and other revenue. Like it or not, they get what they want because they threaten to leave and everyone caves.
It's why a path of conference destruction follows them.

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
Isn’t UT the school that was offended by, “3rd and 10 upcoming for the visitors”? Now it’s just, “3rd and 10 upcoming”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No that was Nebraska. It was easy for them to be good and gracious fans when they were running roughshod over the conference, but once things turned they turned out to be no better than the average fanbase. Maybe whinier.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
I'll bet they are "King of the Whiners" now, because they suck.
Living in Nebraska that is definitely not the impression I get. It's entirely possible their administration did that or that Callahan or Pelini whined. Callahan needed any excuse for not winning and Pelini angrily railed against everything. The fans, on the other hand, have been fantastic. There's definitely a culture of wanting to be respectful or "Nebraska nice" as they put it. They've also come across as super patient and most folks really seem to regret firing Solich. Having been to a couple games here, it reminds me of OSU in terms of how friendly it is. I've also never really caught any crap for being an OSU fan/alum, which was definitely not the case when I lived in Arkansas.

Feb 18, 2009
It was the whorns, it was after year that brown pants had the tents or whatever that was up on the sideline to keep our fans from disturbing him
Yeah I remember that but I know TCU complained too once they joined the conference. They bitched about Tech's cowbells too. I am by no means defending Texas but TCU was certainly involved in the gripe session as well.

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
Texas demands by far the most TV eyeballs and other revenue. Like it or not, they get what they want because they threaten to leave and everyone caves.
Oh yeah. I remember when there were murmurs of Texas leaving for the Pac-12, and then OU joined the conversation and whined that they should be allowed to go with UT, because the Big 12 wouldn't be competitive anymore, or some bullshit like that.

Cro

Sheriff
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
the way I remember it, was that everyone was pretty sure OSU and Texas were headed to the PAC12, and ou would end up in the Big10. then, all of a sudden the big 12 somehow survived.........

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Pretty sure TCU was behind that not Texas.
It was both. Here's an article from that time period that puts all the blame on TCU (the longer they're in the conference, the less I like them). The rule also conveniently went into place right before we played Texas.
Wow...if that is true, the unnecessary amount of control that school has on the conference is ridiculous.
Why do you think Nebraska, Colorado, Missouri and Texas A&M left. Because of Texas and the longhorn network.
Isn’t UT the school that was offended by, “3rd and 10 upcoming for the visitors”? Now it’s just, “3rd and 10 upcoming”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow... the amount of blame that Texas gets for things they didn't necessarily do is akin to the amount of blame that Holder gets from OSU fans.

TCU is the school that initially complained about the Paddle People and got them stopped. Fat Pat was about having to come to Stillwater twice in a row, and after we beat the hell out of them their second year in the conference he complained to the conference that the paddles are artifical noise makers (even though they are not). Texas, OU, and a majority agreed and therefore they put a stop to the Paddle People the week before the Texas game, which caused most of our fans to blame Texas erroneously.

Nebraska is the team that caused the "3rd down for the visitors" thing to stop. It was the Taylor Martinez year, and their fans started a thread on their message board about it and their athletic department issued a formal complaint.

As to conference realignment... EVERY brand school in the conference voted to not sign a deal with a network to do a Big 12 network and to retain the exclusive rights to their third tier rights. While a conference network would have benefited Oklahoma State, Iowa State, Kansas State... it hurt Kansas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Texas A&M, and Texas because those schools were able to command more for their third tier rights AT THE TIME. Well... Texas went out and got the mother of all third tier broadcast right deals and it ate up budget from ESPN to offer the same to the other schools... and frankly Texas could demand more than those schools at the time as they are a much more valuable brand than Nebraska or Texas A&M.

MISSOURI started the conference realignment discussion by leaking that the Big 10 was interested in expanding. They got all hot and bothered in their panties that they may get to go to the Big 10, and proceeded to throw their fellow conference members under the bus. Nebraska saw that the opportunity was there, stole Missouri's spot, and created the chain reaction from there.

I understand that blaming Texas is popular... but in the reality of the time it was absolutely not their fault that the conference fell apart... but they've taken the blame and now that they suck they're an easy punching bag.

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
I understand that blaming Texas is popular... but in the reality of the time it was absolutely not their fault that the conference fell apart... but they've taken the blame and now that they suck they're an easy punching bag.
Thank you for all of that information, but to be very clear, my comments are all based off of rumors that have circulated, that I simply picked up from other people. I have absolutely no evidence of any of that stuff.