Shopping for a Camper...

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

GodsPeace

Joshua 1:9
Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
This is exciting me far more than I expected. My wife has wanted this for a long time and I get the healthy bonus of getting a new(new to me) truck capable of comfortably hauling my camper around.

My truck can but it is older and falling apart. I also use my truck to get to work everyday(1.5hrs roundtrip).

The campers we are looking at are mostly Jayco and Mallard by Heartland. Most of the ones we like are dry weight between 5400-8400lbs. We are trying to stay in the 5500-7500 range.

Trucks are the issue and WHY ARE PRICES SOOOO MUCH BETTER IN TEXAS?

Same truck for sale in Guthrie for $30k is $19k in Texas with much the same specs.

I'm trying to keep the trucks in the half ton range for previously stated reasons.

Main wants: F150, Titan, or Tundra. Not against a GM model and Dodge is out cause my wife doesn't like them.

Speaking of family, wife and 3 kids(all girls 11-16yrs old). We need to be able to fit fairly well.

Why the thread?

I could use a hell of a lot of tips and head's ups dealing with this. Research only gets me so far and just don't want to get in the camper deal too green and ruin it.

GodsPeace

Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
It was too long huh? Well.

Bottom line...i need a truck that can haul a travel trailer and get me to work everyday and fit my family (5 including me).

Thank you and have a nice day.

Aug 12, 2010
By the time you start putting gear (water, food, propane, and more assorted stuff in there), You will have added 1000 -1500 lbs to the weight you are pulling.Add the weight of the family and you will see that you are probably over the gavw of a 1/2 ton pickup. If you really like the camping and want to do more of it, you will start to look at a bigger camper. That means bigger truck. Do yourself a favor and buy the second truck first!!! The salesman will tell you you can pull anything with a 1/2 ton and you can for a while, but can you stop when you need to?

GodsPeace

Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
By the time you start putting gear (water, food, propane, and more assorted stuff in there), You will have added 1000 -1500 lbs to the weight you are pulling.Add the weight of the family and you will see that you are probably over the gavw of a 1/2 ton pickup. If you really like the camping and want to do more of it, you will start to look at a bigger camper. That means bigger truck. Do yourself a favor and buy the second truck first!!! The salesman will tell you you can pull anything with a 1/2 ton and you can for a while, but can you stop when you need to?
One thing I appreciated about camping world I'd they wouldn't let me drive off the lot unless they were sure I was in the right vehicle.

I know dry weight isn't the real number which is why I'm trying to create a big (around 3k lbs) buffer to account for added cargo and family weight.

GodsPeace

Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
That all said do my plans sound well sound?

I HAVE to get this right. Towing a huge load like that across states has to be done correctly and I don't want to be overconfident.

This is why I'm looking for tips and guidance. I'm sure this community is chalk full RV users.

I really haven't considered a gooseneck for a fifth wheel because most I've seen are on 3/4 to full size trucks and whatever gas mileage I was hoping to save on my daily 1.5 hr commute would be lost. That said, 99% of that is highway miles.

Aug 12, 2010
Gas mileage is the least of your problems if you are overloaded and have a wreck!!!!!! Go to www.rv.net and then go to furums then go to travel trailers to get more info than I can give you here.

Apr 14, 2008
Texas
Why are you worried about gas mileage when the crude/gas prices are so low? They will be for the foreseeable future, at least life of your truck probably. I've got a 2004 F350 dually which will pull a heard of elephants. I use it to haul around our horses and split the weekly commute between it and my 535. Honestly, I wish I had 3/4-ton as the 1-ton suspension bounces me all over the place when not loaded. I replaced shocks with some Ranchos that are a little more forgiving when not hauling but still very stiff. If you can swing the cost, I'd be looking at a 3/4-ton diesel...GM or Ford

Kabob1865

Lives on Steak and Refried Beans
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2011
Oklahoma City
I'm also going to recommend you consider a 3/4 ton with a camper that size. The 1/2 ton CAN pull a trailer that size, but the 3/4 ton will stop, track and get better fuel economy than a 1/2 ton with the trailer hooked up. Your wife and daughters will certainly feel more comfortable and confident towing with the 3/4 ton. My wife loves driving when we have a trailer hooked up to the big truck. She wouldn't drive the 1/2 ton. Gas and diesel are cheap so you won't be saving that much money on fuel by going with the 1/2 ton.