Shine and Sima both going pro

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

AshlandFlash

It seemed like a good idea at the time
A/V Subscriber
Aug 24, 2007
I just made the mistake of reading comments in the daily disappointment story. Evidently, getting a degree, graduating, and going out to make a living in the field of your choice is now a failure, and Boynton is to blame for these failures. "With the seniors who graduated and now Averette, Sima and Shine deciding to move on, one must ask just what is going on with OSU's Basketball program???" Who knew that getting a degree was considered a bad thing?

And anyone surprised that Shine is leaving has NOT been paying attention for the month of March.

SiggyPoke

Territorial Marshal
Nov 4, 2003
Tulsa
I just made the mistake of reading comments in the daily disappointment story. Evidently, getting a degree, graduating, and going out to make a living in the field of your choice is now a failure, and Boynton is to blame for these failures. "With the seniors who graduated and now Averette, Sima and Shine deciding to move on, one must ask just what is going on with OSU's Basketball program???" Who knew that getting a degree was considered a bad thing?

And anyone surprised that Shine is leaving has NOT been paying attention for the month of March.
Wet blankets.

AshlandFlash

It seemed like a good idea at the time
A/V Subscriber
Aug 24, 2007
So am I right, we’re losing:
Carroll
Solomon
Shine
Sima
Smith
Averette
That looks about right. Along with Dillard and Dawson, we can hang out the Help Wanted sign any time now!

And the only one I'm not overly happy for is Sima, I think he could have upped his stock AND helped us out. I understand Averette, and hope the best for him. I'll root for him wherever he lands.

Rack

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Mu step daughter's boyfriend has been doing this since graduating from UNI a few years ago. Played in Germany, Denmark, and he just left for Australia. I don't think he's getting rich, but he is definitely getting to see the world. And so is she since she visits him at every stop. I'd keep doing it as long as I could. Took me 52 years to get to see Europe.
Me too, I'm just now seeing Europe and I wish I would not have waited so long...

Aug 16, 2012
I'm not so sure. 2 years of scholarship for one semester of play isn't getting much. Much different than an immediately eligible grad transfer that uses up only 1 year of a scholarship.
This is going to hurt our APR as well, right?

Aug 16, 2012
No. Shine graduated. Averette chose to transfer. Maybe I'm wrong but i didn't think so.
Sima is who I am speaking of. He is leaving school, not to another school and has not graduated. Sima, Dillard and Dawson would all be hits against the APR, would they not?

Lab Rat

Hold on while I make a chart
A/V Subscriber
Jan 5, 2012
So that leaves us Dziagwa, McGriff, N'Gussean and Waters as guys who have seen meaningful minutes. Then we have Reeves and Weathers on the bench.

I haven't followed recruiting at all. Do we have any studs locked up that are expected on campus next year or are we still chasing guys? I assume we will have to pull in 1 or 2 Juco guys now, but I would much rather end up with a bunch of talented freshman so we have time to develop a team that can make a run in a few years.
It's time to become familiarized with Michael Weathers. He played his freshman season at Miami (OH) where he posted some very impressive numbers.

Weathers is only one of two players to average >4 APG, >4 RPG, >1.5 SPG, and >1 BPG in their freshman season (the other was 2017 NBA 1st overall pick Markelle Fultz). He did that while also scoring 16.7 PPG. http://cbbref.com/tiny/P6zgb

Prior to this season, only 19 other players since 1993 have averaged >4 APG, >4 RPG, >1.5 SPG, and >1 BPGf during any season of their college careers. Of those, 14 (74%) have played in the NBA, including Dwyane Wade, Penny Hardaway, Grant Hill, Ron Artest, Draymond Green, Jeremy Lin, Delon Wright, Francisco Garcia, Donnie Boyce, and Jamaal Tinsley. The only player on the list who scored more PPG than Weathers and didn't make it to the NBA was Joe Spinks, who had a standout career in Europe.

I expect Weathers to make an immediate impact, on both offense and defense.

Last edited:

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
It's time to become familiarized with Michael Weathers. He played his freshman season at Miami (OH) where he posted some very impressive numbers.

Weathers is only one of two players to average >4 APG, >4 RPG, >1.5 SPG, and >1 BPG in their freshman season (the other was 2017 NBA 1st overall pick Markelle Fultz). He did that while also scoring 16.7 PPG. http://cbbref.com/tiny/P6zgb

Prior to this season, only 19 other players since 1993 have averaged >4 APG, >4 RPG, >1.5 SPG, and >1 BPGf during any season of their college careers. Of those, 14 (74%) have played in the NBA, including Dwyane Wade, Penny Hardaway, Grant Hill, Ron Artest, Draymond Green, Jeremy Lin, Delon Wright, Francisco Garcia, Donnie Boyce, and Jamaal Tinsley. The only player on the list who scored more PPG than Weathers and didn't make it to the NBA was Joe Spinks, who had a standout career in Europe.

I expect Weathers to make an immediate impact, on both offense and defense.
Yep! Agreed. People don't know yet but he's a good player.