Shine and Sima both going pro

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

POPOKE

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 7, 2007
South Carolina
Going pro in something other than sports?

I don’t get it. Neither are developed enough to make a roster spot in the NBA. The G-League doesn’t pay well. After bills, probably be better off on scholarship. Sure you could go over seas, and make enough to live, maybe put a little away. - That’s if you’re special. Get your degree while it’s paid for then go get paid. It’s a numbers game that favors the few.

That said, I wish them the best and hope they prove me wrong and are great representatives of this university.
Shine got his degree.

POKESUP

Wrangler
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa
Neither player has plans of playing in the NBA next year. You also have to remember Sima is from Spain I think a lot of this had to do with him being home sick in a different country and just wanting to get back home. He will always have a roster spot in Europe he's 7'0 and athletic. I could see Shine definitely making a roster spot in a second tier league somewhere, it just depends how good his agent is and how well he looks at Euro showcases which will depend on how much he makes. For example JC will probably make around the 150,000 mark next year if I had to guess with his college resume.

Sep 24, 2011
In his second year in Lubbock, Texas, Beard went to the Elite 8. The year before he took over, Tech went 13-19 overall. 3-15 in conference. Tech hired a big time coach.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
In his second year in Lubbock, Texas, Beard went to the Elite 8. The year before he took over, Tech went 13-19 overall. 3-15 in conference. Tech hired a big time coach.
Yeah and they still got their asses kicked in GIA this year. What's your point?
If he didn't add th last line, I'd say that he's showing optimism for next year, but with the addition I'm unsure.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Dec 21, 2016
Stillwater ok
Going pro in something other than sports?

I don’t get it. Neither are developed enough to make a roster spot in the NBA. The G-League doesn’t pay well. After bills, probably be better off on scholarship. Sure you could go over seas, and make enough to live, maybe put a little away. - That’s if you’re special. Get your degree while it’s paid for then go get paid. It’s a numbers game that favors the few.

That said, I wish them the best and hope they prove me wrong and are great representatives of this university.
Very well said. You could always go pro overseas if that's the goal, another year wouldnt have made a difference and would have made them significantly better (seeing the improvements throughout the year for Sima) and given them a chance to make even more money overseas. Get your degree first of all, unless you're guaranteed to get drafted into the NBA.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Here's a link to Mark Cooper's article.

Excerpt:
Oklahoma State forward Yankuba Sima and guard Tavarius Shine will both pass on a final season of collegiate eligibility to pursue professional careers.

“One of my favorite parts of being a basketball coach at this level is helping young men achieve their goals,” Boynton said in a news release. “Many of our players have aspirations of playing professionally, and I want to help them make that a reality. I wish Tavarius and Yankuba nothing but the best in pursuing their dreams. We look forward to having them, and every former Cowboy, back in Gallagher-Iba Arena whenever possible.”

Their defections bring the number of open scholarships for Boynton and OSU this offseason up to five. Only four scholarship players who played in a game this past season — Lindy Waters, Cameron McGriff, Thomas Dziagwa and Lucas N’Guessan — are set to return. The Cowboys do have transfers Michael Weathers — a former MAC freshman of the year at Miami (Ohio) — and Curtis Jones (Indiana) on campus.

Mar 8, 2010
Big mistake for these young men. Neither will ever sniff the NBA. I wonder who's giving them advice? MB has his work cut out for him, but as we learned this past season, don't sell him short. I'm still optimistic.

wreck

Intrigued By Shiny Objects
A/V Subscriber
Jun 3, 2006
Dallas
Big mistake for these young men. Neither will ever sniff the NBA. I wonder who's giving them advice? MB has his work cut out for him, but as we learned this past season, don't sell him short. I'm still optimistic.
As has been noted here several times .. neither is trying to go to the NBA, they are going over-seas. I read last week that there are over 6700 players with USA ties playing professionally in Europe and Asia.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
As has been noted here several times .. neither is trying to go to the NBA, they are going over-seas. I read last week that there are over 6700 players with USA ties playing professionally in Europe and Asia.
This...If I were a basketball player this would be a good way to keep playing without too much pressure, get paid AND see the world. What's not to like for them? I wish both young men God Speed, safe travels, AND good luck!

Last edited:

El Gato Bandito

that log had a child
Jan 5, 2009
So that leaves us Dziagwa, McGriff, N'Gussean and Waters as guys who have seen meaningful minutes. Then we have Reeves and Weathers on the bench.

I haven't followed recruiting at all. Do we have any studs locked up that are expected on campus next year or are we still chasing guys? I assume we will have to pull in 1 or 2 Juco guys now, but I would much rather end up with a bunch of talented freshman so we have time to develop a team that can make a run in a few years.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
So that leaves us Dziagwa, McGriff, N'Gussean and Waters as guys who have seen meaningful minutes. Then we have Reeves and Weathers on the bench.

I haven't followed recruiting at all. Do we have any studs locked up that are expected on campus next year or are we still chasing guys? I assume we will have to pull in 1 or 2 Juco guys now, but I would much rather end up with a bunch of talented freshman so we have time to develop a team that can make a run in a few years.
Weathers is our starting Point guard next year. Good player and sat out last year due to transfer rule. We a huge hole to fill with Sima leaving. Didn't expect that to happen at all! Shocker.

We better get a transfer big our inside we will really struggle this year. I think our young freshman bigs might be ok in time but too much to ask for freshmen bigs. Demuth is a freshman big guy who is more a forward though at 6'8. Not a true big yet is the problem. Anei is 6'9 incoming freshman but needs to gain strength and too big of an adjustment for Big 12 his first year. In my opinion.

Need transfer big to shore it up now. I thought we needed one anyway to backup Sima but really have to get one now, maybe two.

Aug 8, 2008
OKC
Did anyone see the pic of LeBryan Nash with his Chinese (I think) team? Huge black dude with his more diminutive teammates. LeBryan was just picked up by an NBA team, so good for him.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
And apparently Sima was homesick.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx
This...If I were a basketball player this would be a good way to keep playing without too much pressure, get paid AND see the world. What's not to like for them? I wish both young men God Speed, safe travels, AND good luck!
Mu step daughter's boyfriend has been doing this since graduating from UNI a few years ago. Played in Germany, Denmark, and he just left for Australia. I don't think he's getting rich, but he is definitely getting to see the world. And so is she since she visits him at every stop. I'd keep doing it as long as I could. Took me 52 years to get to see Europe.