Serena Williams' Antics

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 3, 2018
Arizona
I'm not a big tennis fan so didn't have any clue about Serena Williams' long history of anger antics.

I don't know how common this type of behaviour is with other tennis players, but I'm a bit shocked.

And the long history of very similar antics...

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
If you are not a big tennis fan then you do not understand how outrageous the "coaching" call was in a Grand Slam final. And, this type of behavior is very common among tennis players, but those type penalties for it have never happened.

It is very similar to making a call of non-flagrant holding far away from the action in a football game during a critical play. Or, Garret Limbrick getting a personal foul for cursing in 1988 bedlam final drive. Just an official putting himself in the action and taking it out of the hands of the players.

My mother is an avid tennis fan (watches hours nearly every day) but not a Serena Williams fan. She could not believe that those calls were made against her.

Last edited:

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
A few thoughts on both sides. She's lost to Osaka before. She was behind the 8ball already. The ref was absurd for that call. She decided to let it break her. Usually if the ref is going to be making calls like that, he'll tell both players before the match.

All that being said Serena is arguably the best of all time and at worst the third best (with Navratilova and Didrikson possibly). You don't make that call in a Final. You don't make that call in a US open final. And you definitely don't make that call against Serena in a US Open Final.

She had a right to be steamed, but her steam fogged her vision.

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
I'm not a big tennis fan so didn't have any clue about Serena Williams' long history of anger antics.

I don't know how common this type of behaviour is with other tennis players, but I'm a bit shocked.

And the long history of very similar antics...
Serena is more vocal than most women players, but would be about the 84th mouthiest man on the tour.

Last edited:

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
It had nothing to do with her and everything to do with the chair ump. That ump has pulled the same crap against the guys for the same things. The ump needs to go and Serena needs to quit playing the “sex card”.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
The saddest part of the whole deal was after the match, when they were presenting the trophies.

To have the presenter say "well, it wasn't the outcome we wanted, but..." is truly pathetic.