seems to me oSu is loaded for fall ...

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
Points per drive is skewed when the offense scores 40+/game most games. Stats are skewed. Like mentioned bottom line is DL talent. Clemson Bama Ohio State are always in the playoffs due to multiple NFL DLmen. OU gets there with an elite offense and look what happens. We are on par with ou’s offense this year. One thing I note is that our DL has a lot of depth which I don’t feel we’ve ever had in the Gundy era. Having depth we can show more looks and blitzes as we can sub guys and not have a 1st string/4th string type drop off
I think using points per play is a very good indicator because it accurately adjusts for teams that go fast and those that go slow.

Our DLine actually doesn’t have a lot of depth...or at least not proven yet. You’ve got a solid starting unit in Murray, Antwine, Lacy. Behind them I really like Jernigan if he can put on 10-15 more pounds. Collin Clay would be a fantastic depth boost if he ends up being eligible. Beyond that, there are just some decent guys and a lot of unproven youth.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
with great skill at running back and receiver plus a solid young quarterback. am i missing something or are the pokes a likely favorite to win the b12? i always find texas overrated and wonder about ou coming with a new quarterback after what i saw from them last year in manhattan and the cfp.
Spencer Rattler is a stud. OU the favorite again but OSU needs make Big 12 title game.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
That’s a fair take.

Personally, I’m feeling better about the defense than I have in awhile. Antwine, Ford, Rodriguez, Harvell-Peel, Ogbongbemiga, Tre Sterling, Rodarius Williams are all proven noteworthy defenders. The pickup of Christian Holmes and Collin clay (both proven good SEC caliber defensive players) adds to my confidence level and provides good added depth.

but I was pretty darn confident in 2017 as well. We shall see, I’d say any less than a CCG appearance will be a disappointment. An appearance wouldn’t surprise me, but neither would agonizingly dropping a few games the Pokes shouldn’t
Considering they were below average last year, but young, I can see that it's reasonable to expect them to be better this season. Knowles is a good coach but i would expect a jump if he wants to be the guy. Just going by history, they always have 1 or 2 agonizing totally winnable losses because of the defense. It happens to OU too, but they have a history of running the table after their first loss. I guess it'll come down to how they respond to that first loss.

"breaking in a new QB" when the QB played a year at Tech, another was a Sr and the last was a SR . . . alot different than a RSFresh
I think the point being that his offense allows for new qbs with different skillsets to excel at a high level. None of those guy were heisman caliber before they came to OU. Nobody looked at Mayfield in 2014 and said "That's future #1 pick". The sentiment at the time was can he beat out trevor knight who just took it to alabama?

The OC isn’t implementing anything, that’s the beauty of continuity. It may prevent the new QB coach from working on physical&mechanical improvements with Sanders, but schematically this offense is staying the same.
There may be some continuity but it is not the same. You have a new guy calling plays, you have other coaches shifting around. He may have different ideas about certain plays or players that Gleeson didnt have. There is that spring ball break in period that is so crucial everyone getting on the same page. Probably not as bad as it would be had they hired from outside.

Idk, obviously you gotta respect the track record of OU QBs. But I think the thing a lot of people do that’s wrong is assume the talent level of all 5 stars is the same. Kyler imo is in the convo with Fields as probably the most gifted QB prospect to come out in the last 10 years... even as a 5 star holding Rattler to that standard is a tall task. And Baker and Hurts has drastically more starts.
Well I dont know anyone who assumes all talent levels are the same. But what they can do , the effect they will have can be the same. Murray is more talented than Mayfield but were statistically very similar. Rattler wont need to be held to any standard set by anyone else, he will be his own guy and if he doesnt produce, someone else will have to. But with everything i have seen of him, i wouldnt bet against him.

Also, Baker wasn’t technically a finalist in 15, you have to get an invite to NY to be a finalist and Baker was the first person to miss the cut.
Well if you wanna get technical, sure.

OSUMIKE17

A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
Considering they were below average last year, but young, I can see that it's reasonable to expect them to be better this season. Knowles is a good coach but i would expect a jump if he wants to be the guy. Just going by history, they always have 1 or 2 agonizing totally winnable losses because of the defense. It happens to OU too, but they have a history of running the table after their first loss. I guess it'll come down to how they respond to that first loss.
Do you feel OU’s defense was below average last season as well?

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
Well OU finished in the top 25 in yards per game given up (38th after playing lsu), I believe Osu finished 82nd. So based on this, i would say the OU defense was above average.

But when i said that I was thinking in terms of big 12 teams. OU was #2 overall and Osu was #7.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
Well OU finished in the top 25 in yards per game given up (38th after playing lsu), I believe Osu finished 82nd. So based on this, i would say the OU defense was above average.

But when i said that I was thinking in terms of big 12 teams. OU was #2 overall and Osu was #7.
No doubt OU’s defense was very good... you may know the stats I don’t, but they were excelled against against the run.

With the losses do you expect similar defensive results?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OSUMIKE17

A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa

Dear Lord. Imagine living in 2020 and still using Yards Per Game given up (Total Defense) as any sort of reliable metric.

If that’s where you’re stuck then so be it.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
No doubt OU’s defense was very good... you may know the stats I don’t, but they were excelled against against the run.

I expect them to be just as good or better this upcoming season. Another year in a better system, and the DC is recruiting the type of players he wants in his system. It wont be fair once OU fields a salty defense

OSUMIKE17

A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa

In defensive efficiency, they were ranked 69th in the nation. That ranking takes a lot more into consideration (SOS, TD rate, First down rate, etc) than a simple amount of yards given up per game that easily skews how any defense actually performs.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater

In defensive efficiency, they were ranked 69th in the nation. That ranking takes a lot more into consideration (SOS, TD rate, First down rate, etc) than a simple amount of yards given up per game that easily skews how any defense actually performs.
You’re right, they got lit up in opponents points per drive too. I’m honestly a little surprised. Even dodging the LSU game by looking at home/road splits the best numbers aren’t as good as OSU’s average.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater

I expect them to be just as good or better this upcoming season. Another year in a better system, and the DC is recruiting the type of players he wants in his system. It wont be fair once OU fields a salty defense
You lose the best player on every level of your defense. The secondary will probably get better, maybe even much better. I don’t see how the front 7 doesn’t take a big step back.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
You lose the best player on every level of your defense. The secondary will probably get better, maybe even much better. I don’t see how the front 7 doesn’t take a big step back.

They still have Redmond and Perkins (both 6+ sacks) who was by many OU fans opinion, the best 2 defensive linemen they had and still have. At least they were both more productive than gallimore, but they do play differently. Also, they got commits from the #1and #2 juco dlinemen, one of which had offers from alabama, texas and fsu. Add in some class of 19 and 20 talent, the line ought to be just as good.

Losing a stud lber but they get caleb kelly back from injury and they are pretty high on some of the young guys. Losing the top db sucks, but they get back another guy(norwood) who was hurt all year, he was their best db in 2018. Plus they got a commit from the #1 juco safety and got solid commits there. Lots of new guys and i like the potential.

Oct 29, 2016
US
Y'all who chose a "zzz" reaction, as well as those who replied to my post as if my post was negative, seriously need to learn how to comprehend. Not gonna name names.. but some of y'all..well, grow up, children.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Loaded- yes, but still have to improve in some areas. ESPN article says it best:

When your defense isn't particularly efficient, you lose the turnovers battle, you get nothing out of the return game then you saddle your offense with bad field position. OSU's average starting field position was 28.

OSUMIKE17

A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
Loaded- yes, but still have to improve in some areas. ESPN article says it best:

When your defense isn't particularly efficient, you lose the turnovers battle, you get nothing out of the return game then you saddle your offense with bad field position. OSU's average starting field position was 28.
The ESPN article isn’t taking in the context of the season. Measure how the defense played in the first half of the season versus the last half and you’ll see two different stories.

Feb 16, 2014

The loss of Kenneth Murray will be significant. He will not be replaced. Former 5* Caleb Kelly returns from injury for ou but murray was probably the best Lb in the nation. Gallimore will be a big loss too. Ou front 7 will take a step back. As you mentioned, the ou secondary should be improved, especially at safety.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net

The loss of Kenneth Murray will be significant. He will not be replaced. Former 5* Caleb Kelly returns from injury for ou but murray was probably the best Lb in the nation. Gallimore will be a big loss too. Ou front 7 will take a step back. As you mentioned, the ou secondary should be improved, especially at safety.
If OU’s secondary has a pulse this season they’ll be improved....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk