seems to me oSu is loaded for fall ...

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Dec 21, 2008
Well no one has seen TR either besides a resume and there was a lot more hype on above posts than on mine about Dunn. I’ve never met TR but have met Dunn several times. I really like his demeanor and professional image. I really hope he’s the step to a title

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
I don’t think anyone questions his attitude or the standard he holds himself to.

The question is whether he can call plays without a script, make adjustments on the fly, turn situational downs and distances into winning play calls most of the time, etc.

He’s never been asked to do these things throughout an entire season. In fact, he’s only called a single, scripted drive against a bad Oregon State defense.

I’m not saying he isn’t capable. I have no idea. I hope he is. But I don’t think it’s a certainty.

Given his experience in the system and his success as a position coach, I think he's ready to take over. I think he'll do a great job for us.

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
Given his experience in the system and his success as a position coach, I think he's ready to take over. I think he'll do a great job for us.
I hope he does but I don’t know how well experience in the system and success as a receivers coach translates into calling the right plays at the right time depending on the situation. That more often than not comes directly from playcalling experience.

We’ll see.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
I hope he does but I don’t know how well experience in the system and success as a receivers coach translates into calling the right plays at the right time depending on the situation. That more often than not comes directly from playcalling experience.

We’ll see.
Has it actually been confirmed that he (Dunn) is calling plays?

I actually trust a WR coach to make the adjustment to calling plays relatively smoothly, as so much of playcalling is setting up and playing with DBs expectations, along with creating route combinations that work well together... 2 things I expect a WR coach to thrive at.

What I’m really thrilled to have Rattay for is to really walk through footwork, mechanics, timing, and decision making. I think it’ll be huge that we’ll have a guy who’s way more focused on those things and isn’t also the “owner” of next week’s game plan.

One interesting tidbid that was discussed last year after Tech or Baylor, it was one of SS’s low points, was how Gleason apparently drilled on ball security with the QBs wayyyyy more than the norm. I’m hoping that the turnovers with SS were a product of just not being able to stop thinking about them. Rattay will get the mindset right as QB himself (in the Oklahoman the bio of Rattay quoted some of his best advice as “Just throw the damn ball”).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OSUMIKE17

A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
Has it actually been confirmed that he (Dunn) is calling plays?

I actually trust a WR coach to make the adjustment to calling plays relatively smoothly, as so much of playcalling is setting up and playing with DBs expectations, along with creating route combinations that work well together... 2 things I expect a WR coach to thrive at.

What I’m really thrilled to have Rattay for is to really walk through footwork, mechanics, timing, and decision making. I think it’ll be huge that we’ll have a guy who’s way more focused on those things and isn’t also the “owner” of next week’s game plan.

One interesting tidbid that was discussed last year after Tech or Baylor, it was one of SS’s low points, was how Gleason apparently drilled on ball security with the QBs wayyyyy more than the norm. I’m hoping that the turnovers with SS were a product of just not being able to stop thinking about them. Rattay will get the mindset right as QB himself (in the Oklahoman the bio of Rattay quoted some of his best advice as “Just throw the damn ball”).

I’m fairly sure Dunn is calling plays but—and much to some people’s disappointment—Gundy will likely have some sort of involvement.

I think Dunn will eventually be a really good OC for the reasons you stated but I wouldn’t necessarily bet on it during his first year and attempt at it. The lack of experience is a factor. If it wasn’t, he would have been promoted to OC or hired as an OC at another quality program before now.

I’m intrigued to see what Rattay can do with Sanders in this limited amount of time due to the pandemic. It’s unfortunate that they couldn’t get all the spring practices in together because I think that could have really made an impact.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas

More than mental, it was also physical. We were all pissed that it took Gleason 6 games to figure out that SS wasn't holding the ball with two hands.

Maybe with a dedicated QB coach that doesn't have OC duties will really be able to pick up SS's game.

Jan 14, 2006
I’m fairly sure Dunn is calling plays but—and much to some people’s disappointment—Gundy will likely have some sort of involvement.

I think Dunn will eventually be a really good OC for the reasons you stated but I wouldn’t necessarily bet on it during his first year and attempt at it. The lack of experience is a factor. If it wasn’t, he would have been promoted to OC or hired as an OC at another quality program before now.

I’m intrigued to see what Rattay can do with Sanders in this limited amount of time due to the pandemic. It’s unfortunate that they couldn’t get all the spring practices in together because I think that could have really made an impact.
I actually think Dunn will not be as affected by Gundy's influence when calling plays. He's been here a lot longer and earned more of MG's respect. Yurchich and Gleeson were both just happy to be in big time football and likely more willing to cave.

Not that I think Gundy's influence is always bad. The dude is an offensive genius. Hopefully he helps guide KD and then turns him loose.

All we need is for Sanders to believe his eyes, make his read and let the ball go a little sooner than last year. If he does that, with the weapons we have, it really doesn't matter who calls plays.

OSUMIKE17

A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
I actually think Dunn will not be as affected by Gundy's influence when calling plays. He's been here a lot longer and earned more of MG's respect. Yurchich and Gleeson were both just happy to be in big time football and likely more willing to cave.

Not that I think Gundy's influence is always bad. The dude is an offensive genius. Hopefully he helps guide KD and then turns him loose.

All we need is for Sanders to believe his eyes, make his read and let the ball go a little sooner than last year. If he does that, with the weapons we have, it really doesn't matter who calls plays.
I don’t think it matters how long he’s been here. It’s still his first year calling plays ever. If anything, I think that will lead to Gundy having more influence in situational playcalling than he did with the prior OCs that both had OC experience before coming here.

I do agree that Sanders potential development will make playcalling much easier on Dunn. Also, from the sound of things, the offense is going to look more like 2017’s version so that may help both Dunn and Sanders in terms of playing to their strengths.

Oct 29, 2016
US
The success of this upcoming season entirely rest upon how well Sanders has improved. And, let's face it.. he's gonna have to take a substantial leap in his accuracy but, far more importantly, his decision making. Let's hope this will be the case. For if not, there is no way Gundy will change his QB. We all know he doesn't do that. And that worries me greatly.

Of all the things I question about Gundy, is by far his lax recruiting policy, his political comments (there's no need for that in collegiate athletics), and his unwillingness to change QB's, despite the overwhelming visible need to do so, not to mention poor stats. Sanders did ok for his first year. If he has not progressed in first two games, I hope Gundy will do the right thing and let another QB try in the third game. Ok will not give us a 10+ win season, nor 9. Nor 8. Ok will get is 7 or less wins. I think Sanders will progress tho. If not, and Gundy doesn't try another QB, I will officially leave the Gundy train. The lax recruiting policy is bad enough. Stubbornness is far worse.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
The success of this upcoming season entirely rest upon how well Sanders has improved. And, let's face it.. he's gonna have to take a substantial leap in his accuracy but, far more importantly, his decision making. Let's hope this will be the case. For if not, there is no way Gundy will change his QB. We all know he doesn't do that. And that worries me greatly.

Of all the things I question about Gundy, is by far his lax recruiting policy, his political comments (there's no need for that in collegiate athletics), and his unwillingness to change QB's, despite the overwhelming visible need to do so, not to mention poor stats. Sanders did ok for his first year. If he has not progressed in first two games, I hope Gundy will do the right thing and let another QB try in the third game. Ok will not give us a 10+ win season, nor 9. Nor 8. Ok will get is 7 or less wins. I think Sanders will progress tho. If not, and Gundy doesn't try another QB, I will officially leave the Gundy train. The lax recruiting policy is bad enough. Stubbornness is far worse.
And if Sanders hasn't progressed who is this "some other quarterback" he's supposed to magically pull from his rear end?

Dec 21, 2008
SS faced some very low points last year. He seems mature enough and having teammates who believe in you will give him confidence to have fun and not think. MGs comments about taking about 15 games for a QB to grasp the speed and concepts is being proven true. 13 games last year minus a few injured ones plus three pretty winnable games to open this year should have him ready for conference.
Dunn got plenty of looks based off his player resume. He doesn’t have the personality most schools want in an OC. It’s hard to give someone a $600k+ OC job w/o experience. I’m glad Gundy pulled the trigger. We got the pieces now let’s make it happen! Change our mindsets a little

Well

still making mistakes
A/V Subscriber
Dec 17, 2009
And if Sanders hasn't progressed who is this "some other quarterback" he's supposed to magically pull from his rear end?
If Sanders is having a hard time and he can't work through it, or the game demands it, put in Illingworth. It doesn't have to be a permanent change, just let Sanders gather focus. But do sit him for awhile if he having problems.

OSUMIKE17

A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
Maybe this is a hot take... but “benching” a QB is the equivalent of taking a pet into the backyard and shooting it. QBs don’t come back from that. Or if they do, it’s on another team.

Osu actually has the one exception I can think of to this rule in Chelf, but every other QB takes a benching as a sign it’s over.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2010
KSTates former Oline coach
Kasey Dunn who has been a huge part of really good offenses
Mike Gundy
Tim Rattay

Then....
An insanely talented Qb coming into his 2nd season
A Heisman candidate at RB
A Biletnikoff finalist at WR
An NFL caliber slot receiver in Stoner
A 6'7 tight end

This has the setup to be as good as we've had, maybe ever, and that is a large large statement to make

It is also a setup that, in my opinion, has enough experience combined with talent, to where Gundy will have a more aggressive approach because we'll have a larger margin for error.

I think if Gundy feels the need to interject it will be because he wants Dunn to be more aggressive as opposed to handcuffing his OC by having them throttle the offense down.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater

I’m just confused what will show you an elevated level of play in those first 2 games. If he plays exactly like he played against Oregon State and the annual cupcake last year, are you wanting to bench him or not? That was pretty competent.

I think it’s pretty important to not have the mindset of you’re going in looking for an opportunity to bench a guy.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
KSTates former Oline coach
Kasey Dunn who has been a huge part of really good offenses
Mike Gundy
Tim Rattay

Then....
An insanely talented Qb coming into his 2nd season
A Heisman candidate at RB
A Biletnikoff finalist at WR
An NFL caliber slot receiver in Stoner
A 6'7 tight end

This has the setup to be as good as we've had, maybe ever, and that is a large large statement to make

It is also a setup that, in my opinion, has enough experience combined with talent, to where Gundy will have a more aggressive approach because we'll have a larger margin for error.

I think if Gundy feels the need to interject it will be because he wants Dunn to be more aggressive as opposed to handcuffing his OC by having them throttle the offense down.
And 10 of 11 starters returning on defense
(Plus the return of Bundage)

Nov 14, 2010
Think about OSU's offense from a Defensive Coordinators perspective

OSU can run inside zone and hit a homerun with it like we did against TCU twice

We can run outside zone with the fastest RB in college football.

We have pull scheme with our Power, buck sweep and counter packages.

We can line up in anything from 10 personnel to 22 personnel without substituting more than 1 player.

We have the ability to add the read game to that with one of the fastest running backs in the Country.

If you double down on that to stop the run game we can pull the ball and hit a hot or pop to a 6'7 tight end that is athletic enough to be recruited as a P5 qb.

If you double down on that, now you've left a Biletnikoff wideout and an NFL caliber slot receiver singled up.

This offense has it all

Defensive Coordinators will have to pick their poison and that's the puzzle Dunn will have to put together each week.

He's spent an entire career doing that and he has a head coach, an Oline coach and a receivers coach that can all do it as well.

Gundy is going to be sprinting to practice to work with this group

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2010
And 10 of 11 starters returning on defense
(Plus the return of Bundage)

And....it appears as if the defense has found its identity with the odd stack with a DCoordinator that has had enough time to adjust to the Big 12.

I'm not a fan of the odd stack for several reasons, but I do like the fact that it does seem to be something Gundy is sold on, and that is important.

And....its a much better set up against Big 12 defenses than the 4-2-5 that Knowles brought with him.

And...it shows that Knowles is willing to adjust

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
with great skill at running back and receiver plus a solid young quarterback. am i missing something or are the pokes a likely favorite to win the b12? i always find texas overrated and wonder about ou coming with a new quarterback after what i saw from them last year in manhattan and the cfp.
Dont just assume breaking in a new qb at OU means anything. The last 3 times that happened, that qb was a heisman finalist. And the defense is vastly improving.

Osu will have a fine year on offense, they might have the most proven trio in the big 12, but that wouldnt be the first time that happened either. I think it'll come down to the defense letting the team down resulting in a couple of unnecessary losses. Also, with the practice limitations that has been imposed since spring ball, will the OC have enough time to really implement his offense? There's a lot of nuance to the relationship of a coordinator and his qb, new playbook, tweaks to the existing one, putting more on the qb. Spring is usually the time they use for those things. I Imagine it must be difficult for any team with a new OC or DC having missed spring drills