SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
I didn’t say UT didn’t deserve the win and UGA didn’t deserve the loss. But I stand by what I said. Reminds me of the 2014 Sugar Bowl when Bama was coming off the emotional loss to Auburn to knock them out of BCS title contention. They clearly weren’t motivated in that game like they were for every other game that year. Is it on UGA for not being up for that one? Of course, UT owes nobody an apology. But if you guys think UGA and UT were playing in one of the semifinal games and things don’t play out differently you are fooling yourselves.
I learned a long time ago that at the top they aren't as good as they think they are, and the others (that next tier) aren't as bad as some think they are.

You can look at the Sagarin rankings, and they're pretty accurate based on the outcomes of the games. However, the differences between teams aren't significant unless there is a pretty good spread between them.

Texas finished the season at 10-4 and played the 7th toughest schedule in the country according to Sagarin while Georgia finished at 11-3 and played the 9th toughest schedule. Do you really think there is a lot of difference between the two?

There are five teams with 2 or more wins against Sagarin top 10 teams.

Purdue (how did that happen?)
Texas
LSU
Ohio State
Alabama (3)

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
All of this talk about Georgia makes me wonder about Kirby Smart. I wonder how he feels the day after...is he pissed at his team for seemingly "not caring" enough to play a better game...or was he in on it and didn't give a crap? And if it's the former, will it lead to major "culture" changes?

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
And I’d put an asterisk next to the UGA game. I question how much they cared about that game.
One could also say that UT didn't care about that game after coming up short to win the conference against their hated rival. Or that UGA came out tight because they wanted so much to prove the committee wrong (ie cared too much). Or maybe UT saw the OSU game the day before and it reminded them of the sheer terror of playing the pokes and allowed them to play UGA without fear. :)

Jonkr06

Territorial Marshal
Aug 18, 2007
Katy, TX
The 'didn't want to be there' excuse is textbook Aggie delusional fan speak. Literally every single time the SEC loses a bowl game that exact line is used. It's pathetic.

Apr 14, 2008
Texas
All of this talk about Georgia makes me wonder about Kirby Smart. I wonder how he feels the day after...is he pissed at his team for seemingly "not caring" enough to play a better game...or was he in on it and didn't give a crap? And if it's the former, will it lead to major "culture" changes?
Maybe UGA should have "cared" a little more in Baton Rouge and against Bama

Apr 13, 2007
I am an SEC fan and always have been. They are the best conference year in and year out. No one who is being fair would question that. There were a couple of games which surprised me but so what?

I also picked OSU to beat Missouri by 10.

BTW, an SEC team is playing Saturday for the national title.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I am an SEC fan and always have been. They are the best conference year in and year out. No one who is being fair would question that. There were a couple of games which surprised me but so what?

I also picked OSU to beat Missouri by 10.

BTW, an SEC team is playing Saturday for the national title.
You're gonna be disappointed if you wanna watch Bama play Saturday.

Apr 13, 2007
I just saw on the local news that it is on Sunday.

Actually surprised the heck out of me. I do not keep up that close and will not be able to watch it because I do not get ESPN.

Apr 13, 2007
Also just saw on the Dothan local news that the coach at my Alma Mater is going to a Big 12 school. Sorry to see him leave.

AshlandFlash

It seemed like a good idea at the time
A/V Subscriber
Aug 24, 2007
I just saw on the local news that it is on Sunday.

Actually surprised the heck out of me. I do not keep up that close and will not be able to watch it because I do not get ESPN.
You must be pretty disappointed to learn that the sec education you got is so lacking. The CFP championship game is on MONDAY, JANUARY 7th.

Sep 8, 2012
Fort Worth
I think the SEC is probably overall the best conference, but also overall, very overrated. It's not a huge difference once you take out Alabama, which is why its so annoying when fans from the other schools always chant SEC-SEC.

But anyway, regarding the UGA-Texas game and UGA caring or not... I feel like if you've played sports on any level or even been a fan, it isn't hard to understand that they didn't bring their A effort to this game. They played in the national title game last year, and in their previous game, had they won, they would be playing for another chance at the national title. Of course, they game to the Sugar bowl deflated.

Another example of this: Michigan - probably a little overrated to start with, but definitely dont think they came to the bowl game ready to play

Apr 13, 2007
You must be pretty disappointed to learn that the sec education you got is so lacking. The CFP championship game is on MONDAY, JANUARY 7th.
Well I am 72 and getting hard of hearing. I did think she said Sunday. Actually I failed my draft physical because of my hearing way back in 1968.

Probably should have gotten a hearing aid but now seems a waste.

I graduated from Troy in 1973. Used to listen to Florida games on the radio. Got to meet Steve Spurrier at the Florda State track meet in 64. It used to be held in Gainesville.

I do have family connections to OSU too.

Apr 14, 2008
Texas
Unecessary overreaction. No need to go nuclear with the insults to a guy posting an honest opinion. Who cares if he got the days mixed up.

This board needs a vaca-

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
OU got blasted by Bama but if they weathered the storm better in the beginning than I think it would have been a closer game. The SEC looks very average outside of bama who is a step above. Either way, I think bama would have had some tougher games if they were in the big 12. Not saying they wouldn't win them all but playing a spread team every week would be tough for them.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I think the SEC is probably overall the best conference, but also overall, very overrated. It's not a huge difference once you take out Alabama, which is why its so annoying when fans from the other schools always chant SEC-SEC.

But anyway, regarding the UGA-Texas game and UGA caring or not... I feel like if you've played sports on any level or even been a fan, it isn't hard to understand that they didn't bring their A effort to this game. They played in the national title game last year, and in their previous game, had they won, they would be playing for another chance at the national title. Of course, they game to the Sugar bowl deflated.

Another example of this: Michigan - probably a little overrated to start with, but definitely dont think they came to the bowl game ready to play
Part of being better is being able to bring your A game consistently. If a New Years Day bowl wasn't sufficient to motivate them I'm not concerned with their excuses.

AshlandFlash

It seemed like a good idea at the time
A/V Subscriber
Aug 24, 2007
Unecessary overreaction. No need to go nuclear with the insults to a guy posting an honest opinion. Who cares if he got the days mixed up.

This board needs a vaca-
So, correcting a misconception with a little humor is nuclear? Good info to have...