Season predictions

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
Rattler is going to be real good. Very excited at his potential. There will be at least one heisman ceremony visit in his future. Despite his numbers making him nationally relevant/competitive, probably not in the running this year. But he'll be tough to beat out for all big 12.

It's really too early but...

#9 in the country in completions, but 14th in attempts
#7 in completion percentage. has the most attempts of anyone in the top 14.
#6 in yards
#13 in yards per attempt
#3 in touchdowns
#7 in qb rating

in big 12 play
rated as the #1 highest graded player in the big 12 currently by PFF.
Interestingly, osu has the #1 OT and #1 CB, both in the top 5.

#2 in yards per game
#1 in pass yards per game
#2 in pass td
#3 in pass efficiency
#1 in qb rating
#2 in yards per pass, but illingsworth, who is currently #1 only has 44 attempts to Rattler's 129
#2 in completion %, but illingsworth, who is currently #1, only has 44 attempts

And within the next year or two we'll be talking about Rattler's successor, Williams because it's a qb turnstyle over there.

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
You mean like inconsistent o-line play? Depth at running back? Crucial drops by receivers in crunch time? Rattler getting rattled? Missed tackles that lead to huge gains? Inconsistency in the secondary? Lack of turnovers?

I see them. And I see them addressing those issues.

Every team has issues every season. Adapt and overcome.

But I know OU’s ceiling. It’s not the playoffs this year. I never thought it would be to be honest. I kinda figured we’d start slow out of the gate. I even put it in my season prediction. If they got past the first four games undefeated, then they’d have a great shot. Obviously that didn’t happen.

K-State ALWAYS plays OU like it’s their super bowl every single year. Klieman’s a helluva coach too. Iowa State’s defense under Matt Campbell has always given Lincoln Riley fits. The RRS is never predictable.

Shit happens. But this conference is not perfect and OU has found a way to win it every year for the last five years. Barring disaster, I expect them to win it again. Even with two losses in conference already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
See.. Was that really so hard?
I never said anyone was perfect. You guys just assumed I did.

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
Well when they’ve dominated the conference the way they have and the recruiting is only getting better and you hired a real defensive coordinator and got a 5 star QB at the helm, ya tend to get pretty excited.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
Well when they’ve dominated the conference the way they have and the recruiting is only getting better and you hired a real defensive coordinator and got a 5 star QB at the helm, ya tend to get pretty excited.

It's weird how all those factors tend to make you justifiably excited about your team.

osuwhit

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
NE OK

I tried to tell you that it’s tough to rely on freshman. Rattler will be fine in the long run. You can tell he’s really good, but he’s making the mistakes I anticipated from him and any freshman QB.

Still can’t understand the OL issues, weak RBs, and only one big WR recruit doing anything right.

Welcome back to growing pains!

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
I tried to tell you that it’s tough to rely on freshman. Rattler will be fine in the long run. You can tell he’s really good, but he’s making the mistakes I anticipated from him and any freshman QB.

Still can’t understand the OL issues, weak RBs, and only one big WR recruit doing anything right.

You cant understand the RB issues? The starting rb right now was 5th on the team in rush yards last year. His backup was in high school last year. Though McGowan will be real good. I have less understanding how of the Oline is playing, and that is probably impacting the running game. I'm not one to complain, but the wr depth was impacted by injury and a couple guys they expected a lot from havent played yet. Tho Mims looks like a star himself.

Last edited:

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
It's weird how all those factors tend to make you justifiably excited about your team.
What's really weird, is how you have this wealth of 5* receivers yet Drakey Stoops is the go-to.
One’s hurt and the other smoked the pots and is suspended. Wease and Mims are doing great.

Stoops is actually a pretty damn good receiver believe it or not.

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark

Rattler will get the playbook opened up in due time. Pledger took a big step forward and Major filled in admirably for McGowan.

The O-line issues were mainly stupid penalties at ridiculously inopportune times and communication issues. Not ability. O-line played fantastic against Texas. Looks like they got it ironed out.

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.
Rattler will get the playbook opened up in due time. Pledger took a big step forward and Major filled in admirably for McGowan.

The O-line issues were mainly stupid penalties at ridiculously inopportune times and communication issues. Not ability. O-line played fantastic against Texas. Looks like they got it ironed out.

All rainbows and unicorns from here on...

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
You cant understand the RB issues? The starting rb right now was 5th on the team in rush yards last year. His backup was in high school last year. Though McGowan will be real good. I have less understanding how of the Oline is playing, and that is probably impacting the running game. I'm not one to complain, but the wr depth was impacted by injury and a couple guys they expected a lot from havent played yet. Tho Mims looks like a star himself.
I thought those were excuses?

osuwhit

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
NE OK
I was just under the impression y’all had a stable of 4 and 5 stars. Agreed on Mims. He’s the only big WR recruit that is looking the part when Drake Stoops isn’t hauling in all the passes. The TE looked good against Texas.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
What's really weird, is how you have this wealth of 5* receivers yet Drakey Stoops is the go-to.
A legend's son makes the game winning catch, gotta love it. That was his 6th reception of the season btw. So he isnt exactly the go-to guy when he has a third of the receptions that the team leader has. But he has shown out. Also looking forward to seeing those 5 star wrs on the field sometime this year.

I thought those were excuses?
You can call it whatever you want. Just providing some information since whit stated he couldnt understand the issues at rb. Imagine if hubbard opted out, and brown transferred to ohio state. imagine micah cooper was your RB1 this year and Richardson was his backup, while waiting for Desmond Jackson to come back from suspension. that's about the closest approximation I could make here. Losing as much production as they have seems to have had an impact on the run game.

I was just under the impression y’all had a stable of 4 and 5 stars. Agreed on Mims. He’s the only big WR recruit that is looking the part when Drake Stoops isn’t hauling in all the passes. The TE looked good against Texas.
Yeah, Stoops has 6 receptions on the season.

You could say that they do have a stable of highly rated wrs- they signed three 5 stars the '19 class but only one of them has played so far this season. They still have plenty of talent at the position though. They spread the wealth around more too. OU has four different players with 15 receptions, and osu for example only has one. Seven different players with over 100 yrds receiving, and osu has just one. Seven different players with a touchdown catch, to osu's two. btw, that 5 star has 15 receptions on the season, and the team leader has 17, so he gets involved.

So that approach will have different results than say feeding the only good receiving threat you appear to have.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
A legend's son makes the game winning catch, gotta love it. That was his 6th reception of the season btw. So he isnt exactly the go-to guy when he has a third of the receptions that the team leader has. But he has shown out. Also looking forward to seeing those 5 star wrs on the field sometime this year.

You can call it whatever you want. Just providing some information since whit stated he couldnt understand the issues at rb. Imagine if hubbard opted out, and brown transferred to ohio state. imagine micah cooper was your RB1 this year and Richardson was his backup, while waiting for Desmond Jackson to come back from suspension. that's about the closest approximation I could make here. Losing as much production as they have seems to have had an impact on the run game.

You could say that they do have a stable of highly rated wrs- they signed three 5 stars the '19 class but only one of them has played so far this season. They still have plenty of talent at the position though. They spread the wealth around more too. OU has four different players with 15 receptions, and osu for example only has one. Seven different players with over 100 yrds receiving, and osu has just one. Seven different players with a touchdown catch, to osu's two. btw, that 5 star has 15 receptions on the season, and the team leader has 17, so he gets involved.

So that approach will have different results than say feeding the only good receiving threat you appear to have.
So in other words, the paid coaches aren't exactly doing a good job of developing the more highly recruited players and boob stoops is giving his kid special coaching on the side?

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
So in other words, the paid coaches aren't exactly doing a good job of developing the more highly recruited players and boob stoops is giving his kid special coaching on the side?
Nope. However, it is not easy to develop 1 guy who is hurt and another who is suspended.

osuwhit

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
NE OK

We were able to win being one dimensional through two games. I don’t think you want to do the comparison with RBs.

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.

Your elite receiver envy is cute.