I'm kinda liking the hire. 2 different QBs in 2 semesters, and both were conference offensive player of the year. Kind of a good omen - Princeton Tigers faculty founded OAMC and we were known as the Tigers with Black and Orange colors. The U was considering him, and a couple of funny statements from the forum board. 1st said his QBs gave their audibles in Latin. response was, i don't think that would work with players at the U.
Scheme looks good, but I don’t see any recruiting ties to our area at all. Gonna be interesting. If he coaches QB’s then I believe that opens a a lot for a special teams coach which is a desperate need.
I like the hire on the surface. He has a pretty impressive resume at a lower level.
1. He helped Princeton win 3 conference championships in his 6 years coaching there.
2. He was the running backs coach in 2016 when they led the Ivy league in rushing.
3. His 2017 offense was ranked 4th in scoring & total offense.
4. His 2018 offense led the FCS in scoring, and they were 2nd in total offense.
5. He coached a record setting pocket passer in 2017, and a dual threat QB in 2018. Both players ended up winning conference POTY awards. It's clear that he can adjust his offense to fit his personnel.
6. He looks like a good recruiter. He beat out Alabama for a 4-star quarterback in 2018.
This hire is definitely out of left field for me. I thought that Coach Gundy would hire someone with ties to the program, even if he went down a level. Gleeson is quoted as saying that there is a lot of overlap between our 2 offenses. This is the only game film I was able to find.
I’m going to reserve judgment until we see how well this guy does against markedly better competition. I guess my first concern will be diversity of play calling, compared to “Throwaway Yardage” Yurcich.