Scott Brooks is not safe...

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

GodsPeace

Joshua 1:9
Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater

Per Sources via Andrien Wojkowski, Brooks is in a bit the hot seat. He throws out Billy Donovan as possible replacement.

Twitter is blowing up a bit over it and some think changing coaches will equate to KD leaving. Of course, some are convinced a strong fart would make KD leave despite his statements that indicate otherwise. We shall see.

Personally, I am not all that pumped about Donovan. Next year feels do or die so a 1st year NBA coach doesn't pump me up.

Who would you want?

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
Interesting. I'd be surprised if the Thunder fire him based on their loyalty and constant support of him especially after all of the injuries this season.

Personally, I don't think he is the answer.

GodsPeace

Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
Interesting. I'd be surprised if the Thunder fire him based on their loyalty and constant support of him especially after all of the injuries this season.

Personally, I don't think he is the answer.
I'm not sure he is the answer. This season, injuries aside, they have had repeated struggles...

1. Defense was atrocious down the stretch. Either the guys don't know how or aren't listening.

2. Inbounds plays in clutch situations have been horrific this year. Somehow we always get it in bounds to Westbrook who is sprinting toward the sideline and jacks a 33ft 3pt regardless of time left.

3. unbelievable losses, like at NY earlier this season

Brooks has an incredible relationship with KD, that is legit, and I do wonder if he would sign off on a move. I would have to have his OK to do it. Westbrook's too.

Dec 19, 2012
Let's be honest, Presti will sit down with Durant and Westbrook quietly and ask if they want Scott or someone else. They will do what those two tell them to keep them around in the future.

Lab Rat

Hold on while I make a chart
Jan 5, 2012
It seems highly unlikely that Brooks will be fired, but if so, I'd like to see Thibodeau. I'm not sure that his ego would sit well with Presti, but he would get the defense back on track.

If Brooks stays, OKC should do everything possible to get Ron Adams back as an assistant. As explained in this article, "Adams is the man who is most responsible for the Thunder's defensive turnaround (in 2009-10)." He was hired by Golden State last summer, and it's no surprise that their defense suddenly became the NBA's best (#1 in Defensive Efficiency and opponent FG%).

Dec 19, 2012
Barkley tweeted out it is crazy to even talk about firing Brooks.

I'd like Coach K, if he is attainable. I just think you'd be rolling the dice an awful lot if you moved away from Brooks. Kerr still has to prove he can do it in the playoffs. The only sure-fire coach's that are still alive and able to coach are employed by the Spurs (Popovich) and Knicks (Phil Jackson). Frankly, anyone outside of those two or your current coach would be a major gamble.

I think Brooks can get it done with all our weapons being healthy next season.

I really wish Phil Jackson was still sitting around and not with the Knicks to be honest. I think he would jump at the idea of getting titles with KD and Russ. He had MJ then moved to Kobe (and acquired Shaq) previously. He would be ideal. He may consider leaving the Knicks considering how set the Thunder will be to win titles.

Last edited:

GodsPeace

Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
It seems highly unlikely that Brooks will be fired, but if so, I'd like to see Thibodeau. I'm not sure that his ego would sit well with Presti, but he would get the defense back on track.

If Brooks stays, OKC should do everything possible to get Ron Adams back as an assistant. As explained in this article, "Adams is the man who is most responsible for the Thunder's defensive turnaround (in 2009-10)." He was hired by Golden State last summer, and it's no surprise that their defense suddenly became the NBA's best (#1 in Defensive Efficiency and opponent FG%).

If not Adams someone similar. KD & RUSS love Brooks, he stays.

This team is super stacked for next year and they have assets to play with this offseason including a lottery pick.

RedRoss

Joe Rugby
A/V Subscriber
Jun 10, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK

Ron is a great coach. Adams was hired away from OKC when Tom took the job for the Bulls. He was there for 5 or 6 seasons before coming to OKC in 2008. As a Bulls fan, the brass needs to cut the you know what and keep Thibs in town.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
I get it but it seems like a silly statement if you think about it doesn’t it?

“I’m so mad that you fired Scott Brooks that I’m going to leave this organization and go play for NOT Scott Brooks on another team”!! LOL
There has always been some question about the Thunder keeping star players. Many stars want to go to the big markets which they think can offer more visibility, money and stuff to do. Each time one of their contracts come up there's always speculation that Russ will leave for LA or KD to DC. I don't think KD would be as likely to move, but it seems like Russ is a perfect replacement for Kobe.

Scott Brooks has stood up and defended them from the get go. I'm sure they consider him a close friend and mentor. and the Thunder probably do consult them when talking about Brook's contract. If they had a tough decision on whether to switch teams or stay in OKC and Brooks was fired, that may push them over the edge.

Dec 19, 2012
There has always been some question about the Thunder keeping star players. Many stars want to go to the big markets which they think can offer more visibility, money and stuff to do. Each time one of their contracts come up there's always speculation that Russ will leave for LA or KD to DC. I don't think KD would be as likely to move, but it seems like Russ is a perfect replacement for Kobe.

Scott Brooks has stood up and defended them from the get go. I'm sure they consider him a close friend and mentor. and the Thunder probably do consult them when talking about Brook's contract. If they had a tough decision on whether to switch teams or stay in OKC and Brooks was fired, that may push them over the edge.
I agree with you. KD is likely to stay, especially when we pay him the max. The question is can we pay both Westbrook and KD the max (potentially 40 million a year under new TV contract) in a few years. Westbrook has the taste for fashion and building a fashion empire, not to mention he's from LA. I feel it's much more likely he thinks about going "home" and working with fashion in LA as Kobe's replacement. Make no mistake, Kobe has already started to recruit him with his comments.

GodsPeace

Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
I agree with you. KD is likely to stay, especially when we pay him the max. The question is can we pay both Westbrook and KD the max (potentially 40 million a year under new TV contract) in a few years. Westbrook has the taste for fashion and building a fashion empire, not to mention he's from LA. I feel it's much more likely he thinks about going "home" and working with fashion in LA as Kobe's replacement. Make no mistake, Kobe has already started to recruit him with his comments.
The counter to that, is that both players have had a tremendous ability to earn and market themselves despite being in OKC. You could argue that being in OKC has helped both.

I don't see either leaving.

Lab Rat

Jan 5, 2012
Ron is a great coach. Adams was hired away from OKC when Tom took the job for the Bulls. He was there for 5 or 6 seasons before coming to OKC in 2008. As a Bulls fan, the brass needs to cut the you know what and keep Thibs in town.
As I understand it, Gar Forman (Bulls' GM) fired Ron Adams against the wishes of Thibodeau. I don't blame Thibs for being unhappy there.

RedRoss

Joe Rugby
A/V Subscriber
Jun 10, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
As I understand it, Gar Forman (Bulls' GM) fired Ron Adams against the wishes of Thibodeau. I don't blame Thibs for being unhappy there.
I don’t either. It will just be upsetting to let a coach as good as him go. The past few seasons the Bulls have had a myriad of injuries and he still manages to win a high # of games. We saw we he can do with a full complement of players when the Bulls advanced to the EC Finals and eventually losing to Miami. I just don’t think it would be smart.

Lab Rat

Jan 5, 2012
I don’t either. It will just be upsetting to let a coach as good as him go. The past few seasons the Bulls have had a myriad of injuries and he still manages to win a high # of games. We saw we he can do with a full complement of players when the Bulls advanced to the EC Finals and eventually losing to Miami. I just don’t think it would be smart.
Agreed, 100%. You would think that after the post-Phil run of bad coaches (Floyd, Cartwright, Skiles, Boylan, Del Negro, etc.) that management would realize how difficult it is to find a coach like Thibodeau. They are deluded if they think they can find someone better.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
SNY.tv reporting that UConn coach Kevin Ollie is seriously being considered to replace Brooks.

Ollie played for the Thunder in 2009-2010.

Durant said in 2014 that Ollie changed the entire culture of the Thunder program in his 1 year as a player there.

When he won the NCAA championship with UConn in 2013-2014 ESPN's Jeff Goodman said that an unnamed NBA GM told him whoever wanted to make a run at Kevin Durant when he becomes a free agent would have to throw the whole ATM at Ollie to make him the coach for the team KD would play for.

http://newsok.com/report-uconns-kev...ly-considered-for-thunder-job/article/5412000