Scotch

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Cowboy2U

Federal Marshal
Mar 31, 2008
This thread has come in handy..let me explain my situation. In 2004 I made a bet with a lifelong friend of mine. The bet was simple..who ever gets their wife pregnant 1st loses and has to have a bottle of Scotch waiting at the hospital (on the delivery date) for the winning friend to pick up. It can be any kind of Scotch but must cost more than $50. The Scotch was my friends idea, I've never had any in my life. As I've posted in another thread, wife is two months prego. It's time to accept defeat. I haven't let my buddy know the good news yet, but plan to shortly. I want to buy the Scotch now before the other bills pile up...so using this thread as a guide I found the following:

http://www.binnys.com/spirits/Auchentoshan_Three_Wood_Single_Malt_160093.html

http://www.binnys.com/spirits/Glenfiddich_18_Year_Old_Ancient_Reserve_161961.html

http://www.binnys.com/spirits/Glenlivet_18_Year_Old_161669.html

http://www.binnys.com/spirits/Highland_Park_15_Year_Old_162404.html

http://www.binnys.com/spirits/Alchemist_Macallan_15_Year_Old_160025.html

I think I'm leaning towards the Glenlivet 18..but honestly have no clue.
Of those listed I'd do the Highland Park, McCallan is my 2nd choice.

Feb 29, 2008
okc
One should consider scotch as a treat try Johnnie Walker Scotch Blue Label 750ML and maybe a fine cigar Arturo Fuente #2

Remember sharing this with a friend makes it even better.

Make sure you have a little time to enjoy this adventure.

Pokit N

Cashing Checks & Snapping Necks!
A/V Subscriber
Sep 29, 2006
South Elgin, IL
My daughter in Phoenix has a bottle of 10 year The Macallan that she wants to give to me. I am not a Scotch drinker, but I am willing to learn. Is this a good choice to begin with?
Don't ask me I'm a newby aswell. I won't be opening my bottle until my buddy comes to visit me in June.

Cowboy2U

Federal Marshal
Mar 31, 2008
My daughter in Phoenix has a bottle of 10 year The Macallan that she wants to give to me. I am not a Scotch drinker, but I am willing to learn. Is this a good choice to begin with?
Yes but it sets the bar pretty high for what you can follow it with. All McCallan is very good, the older... the more complex and smoother. There's a lot of great scotch out there, price is not always indicative of quality but is for the most part a pretty good ruler. There are some that really appreciate Islay single malts, I personally hate them but that's why there are so many different styles so everybody gets what they want.

State

Russian Bot
A/V Subscriber
Mar 15, 2007
TX
Anyone tried the Glenlivet 15y French Oak? Thinking about picking up a bottle, but wanted to know from anyone that has tried it.
Just found this thread. I had a good friend in college who drank almost nothing but Scotch and though he was stingy with it, let me have enough to come to enjoy it as well.

My current bottle is this Glenlivet 15 year French Oak Reserve and it goes down quite smooth. I normally have it with ice (3 cubes- no more) but occasionally neat. I've stuck with the 'Glens' in the Swingers tradition, but may pick up something mentioned here when I'm on the AFB next month as it tends to have good discounts.

Pokit N

Cashing Checks & Snapping Necks!
A/V Subscriber
Sep 29, 2006
South Elgin, IL
So my buddy finally came up and collected his prize. I gotta tell ya, I enjoyed the Scotch a lot more than I thought I would. It was suprisingly easy to drink. Smooth and delicious. It's not something I can afford very often, but maybe every year on my birthday I can buy some.

Sep 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
just found this thread and resurrecting it, 4 pages in and no mention of my favorite Glenmorangie

just tried Laphroaig the other day, totally different than morangie , very peaty and almost heavy, but overall pretty good.

Nov 1, 2004
I ended up with a Macallan 15 yr. It cost 73.99 so it's gotta be good right?
Used to be 18 year ... as story goes, Japanese bought it ... ran off the 18 year ... and went to 15. Must be inflation ... bought the 18 yr back in 2000 for 40 bucks or so. Blame it on the Fed, everybody else does.

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
Macallan "Fine Oak" 15 yr.

Balvenie "Double Wood" 12 yr.

Glenlivet "The French Oak Reserve" 15 yr.

The Dalmore 12 yr.

Glenmorangie "The Original" 10 yr.

Glenmorangie "The Lasanta" 12 yr.

Oddly enough, many of the "standard" single malts often score higher in taste ratings than their older, "special" bottlings. Kind of like wine, price is a general indication of quality, but many exceptions exist.
Glenfiddich is solid as well. For every day "economy" pleasures, I also drink Pinch and Johnnie Walker Black and Dewar's blended whiskys.

Scotch is a lot like BBQ and Mexican food (even the frozen dinners and fast food varieties), I've never had a bad scotch; it's just that some are better than others.

Noven

'Neer Deez Nutz
A/V Subscriber
Sep 27, 2010
Bought some Balvenie 14 year and had a couple glasses tonight with a Cuban. Best scotch I've ever had.

MT Cowboy

'S Go
A/V Subscriber
Sep 28, 2013
CO
just found this thread and resurrecting it, 4 pages in and no mention of my favorite Glenmorangie
My exact thoughts. Got a bottle of Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban for Christmas from the padre, and its life changing. Only had 4 glasses in 4 months cause I wanna savor every bit of it.

Other than that Glenfiddich would be my preferred route.

Cowboy2U

Federal Marshal
Mar 31, 2008
Highland Park 30 is the best I ever tasted but the price is insane now at over $550. Bought my dad one a long time ago, it was much cheaper then. $80 for that Glenmorangie sounds like a steal. Still love most of the Macallans, those sherry casks make it almost sweet.