Scotch

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

OrangeAggie

Assistant to the Moderater
A/V Subscriber
Feb 6, 2004
Edmond
I too am just stepping into the scotch world, because it seems like a good sophisticated drink and because my idol Don Draper drinks it. :D

I read the advice from you guys and did some additional research online and decided to pick up a bottle of Highland Park 12 Year last night. Since I've never been much of a whiskey drinker, it was a little overwhelming, but I was blown away by how complex the flavors were and the fact that it was surprisingly smooth. It has a very smokey finish, which was different than anything I'd ever tasted.

I've always been told that scotch is an acquired taste, but I think I've found a great place to start.

Erick

Master in the art of Gemütlichkeit
Jun 11, 2006
Yukon, Oklahoma:
I too am just stepping into the scotch world, because it seems like a good sophisticated drink and because my idol Don Draper drinks it. :D

I read the advice from you guys and did some additional research online and decided to pick up a bottle of Highland Park 12 Year last night. Since I've never been much of a whiskey drinker, it was a little overwhelming, but I was blown away by how complex the flavors were and the fact that it was surprisingly smooth. It has a very smokey finish, which was different than anything I'd ever tasted.

I've always been told that scotch is an acquired taste, but I think I've found a great place to start.
How did you drink it? Rocks, neat or with water? I think that rocks or water really knock out the harshness of the alcohol and makes it very sippable. Neat is just neat.

OrangeAggie

A/V Subscriber
Feb 6, 2004
Edmond
How did you drink it? Rocks, neat or with water? I think that rocks or water really knock out the harshness of the alcohol and makes it very sippable. Neat is just neat.

Rocks. However, from what I've read I guess you aren't really supposed to chill good scotch since it can disguise some of the flavors. Next time I think I'll try it with water, though I'm not really sure what ratio of scotch/water to do. I've read that some people do a 1:1 ratio where others just add a few drops. I don't think I'm at the point where I could drink it neat.

Erick

Jun 11, 2006
Yukon, Oklahoma:
I drink it on the rocks, the mouth warms it up nice and as the ice melts it makes the last bit easier to drink. By the time you hit the third glass, it's alllllll smooooth! I don't drink it with water, but from what I know, it's just a little bit from a few drops to a slight splash. 50/50 would be too much in my opinion.

Man, I think I am going to have scotch tonight while finishing my first annual Christmas letter!

Pokefan

Territorial Marshal
Aug 3, 2004
Between Pryor and Adair on Beautiful Lake Hudson
I drink it on the rocks, the mouth warms it up nice and as the ice melts it makes the last bit easier to drink. By the time you hit the third glass, it's alllllll smooooth! I don't drink it with water, but from what I know, it's just a little bit from a few drops to a slight splash. 50/50 would be too much in my opinion.

Man, I think I am going to have scotch tonight while finishing my first annual Christmas letter!
Read the last four posts and am now over my trauma enough to go replace the bottle I lost. Will start on the new bottle tonight and will have a FIRM grasp on the bottle as I open it.

Cowboy2U

Federal Marshal
Mar 31, 2008

Great choice, Highland Park is my favorite, their 30yr old bottle is incredible
($500-600). Another you should try is Macallan, it's aged in old sherry casks and that gives it a very unusual feature, probably my second favorite scotch. A 30 year old bottle will run over $1k though. Plenty fo different scotch out there, enjoy the learning.

Oct 19, 2008
I really enjoyed a bottle of Glenlivet Nadurra a few months back. High octane for sure, around 56% so please sip it in an easy chair. I'm getting ready to get into a Christmas present soon.....a bottle of 21 yr old Bushmills. Irish whiskey is very different from scotch. Triple distilled, very smooth (fewer hangovers). I don't care for the young stuff, unless I'm mixing with soda. The better stuff should be drunk neat. A small splash of water can open up the bouqet. In 1992 with a few friends, I purchased a cask of Bushmills 25 yr old Millenium Malt. It was bottled and delivered in Dec 1999. Matured from 1975. Only 300 casks were available. Probably the smoothest, most delicate whiskey I have ever tasted. Opened a bottle at my son's graduation last week in Stillwater, (leprechaun 7). Slainte!

Jan 31, 2008
Oklahoma City
The fundamental problem with drinking is that 95% of the people who drink do not know how to drink.

First of all,..alcohol is poison,...period.

Next,...it is not quantity,..it is quality.

If you get drunk you have just proven you do not know how to drink.

I enjoy the occasional dram of the nectar called Glenlevit French Oak Reserve.

A very smooth good tasting single malt scotch whisky.

OrangeAggie

A/V Subscriber
Feb 6, 2004
Edmond
The fundamental problem with drinking is that 95% of the people who drink do not know how to drink.

I enjoy the occasional dram of the nectar called Glenlevit French Oak Reserve.

A very smooth good tasting single malt scotch whisky.

:rolleyes:

Also, I think you mean the Glenlivet French Oak Reserve. I got a bottle of the 15 year old (which I'm pretty sure is the only way you can buy it) for Christmas, and I really enjoyed it. I'm not really that impressed with the standard Glenlivet 12, but this scotch is definitely worth trying.

Erick

Jun 11, 2006
Yukon, Oklahoma:

Heck, that's like telling a man that becomes full after a meal that he doesn't know how to eat!

Cowboy2U

Federal Marshal
Mar 31, 2008
Heck, that's like telling a man that becomes full after a meal that he doesn't know how to eat!
Exactly...getting a good buzz is just a plus after drinking adequate scotch to satisfy your palate. Swilling good scotch is another story.

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.

:confused:wtf?:confused:

Pokit N

Cashing Checks & Snapping Necks!
A/V Subscriber
Sep 29, 2006
South Elgin, IL
This thread has come in handy..let me explain my situation. In 2004 I made a bet with a lifelong friend of mine. The bet was simple..who ever gets their wife pregnant 1st loses and has to have a bottle of Scotch waiting at the hospital (on the delivery date) for the winning friend to pick up. It can be any kind of Scotch but must cost more than $50. The Scotch was my friends idea, I've never had any in my life. As I've posted in another thread, wife is two months prego. It's time to accept defeat. I haven't let my buddy know the good news yet, but plan to shortly. I want to buy the Scotch now before the other bills pile up...so using this thread as a guide I found the following:

http://www.binnys.com/spirits/Auchentoshan_Three_Wood_Single_Malt_160093.html

http://www.binnys.com/spirits/Glenfiddich_18_Year_Old_Ancient_Reserve_161961.html

http://www.binnys.com/spirits/Glenlivet_18_Year_Old_161669.html

http://www.binnys.com/spirits/Highland_Park_15_Year_Old_162404.html

http://www.binnys.com/spirits/Alchemist_Macallan_15_Year_Old_160025.html

I think I'm leaning towards the Glenlivet 18..but honestly have no clue.