Scotch

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Erick

Master in the art of Gemütlichkeit
Jun 11, 2006
Yukon, Oklahoma:
I love Scotch. I don't drink it near as often as I would like. A few things to keep in mind:

Single = One source distillery
Malt = Only malted barley, no other grains.
There is no other Scotch worth mentioning other than Single Malt.

There are a bunch of different Scottish regions that make Scotch, and they all taste a little different based on the water source. It gets confusing, so don't worry about it for now.

The other thing you want to think about is how you drink it. On the rocks, with a little water or neat. Personally, I like it on the rocks. They say by adding just a little water, it brings out all the true flavors.

My best suggestion and my favorite in Glenlivet 18 year, but 12 year is also great. Glenfiddich is also a superior Scotch, both are very smooth with a good peaty taste. Each will run around $35/bottle.

Donnyboy

Lettin' the high times carry the low....
A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
Everything Erick said...

To me scotch is the booze that improves the most as the price goes up.....going back to the bourbon thread I've had really expensive bourbons that don't impress me much more than the first step up....and I've had $20 dollar bottles of wine that out do $200 dollar ones...but scotch is a different story I've had some really old really expensive scotch's and the fancy colors of Johnny Walker that put their less expensive brothers completely to shame without exception.

I'm about to get crushed for this but.....I drink J&B for my everyday scotch....but I go bourbon over scotch so I'm not the best reference.

OSU Sig

Federal Marshal
Jan 28, 2005
Edmond
Don't know what you consider reasonable but splurge a bit and buy a bottle of 18 yr Macallan. They make a 25 yr bottle but nobody can afford them...

May 2, 2007
Westminster CO
I stopped by the liquore store and went with the 15 year glenfiddich. Im enoying it now. Seemed like a good honest attempt at wading into scotch with out going crazy. the extra 30 bucks for the 18 was a bit much to justify.

Erick

Jun 11, 2006
Yukon, Oklahoma:
Very nice! a 15 year Scotch is pretty darn good. I'm with you on that, usually, I just pick up a 12 year and call it good. I'll enjoy it just the same.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
I love Scotch. I don't drink it near as often as I would like. A few things to keep in mind:

Single = One source distillery
Malt = Only malted barley, no other grains.
There is no other Scotch worth mentioning other than Single Malt.

There are a bunch of different Scottish regions that make Scotch, and they all taste a little different based on the water source. It gets confusing, so don't worry about it for now.

The other thing you want to think about is how you drink it. On the rocks, with a little water or neat. Personally, I like it on the rocks. They say by adding just a little water, it brings out all the true flavors.

My best suggestion and my favorite in Glenlivet 18 year, but 12 year is also great. Glenfiddich is also a superior Scotch, both are very smooth with a good peaty taste. Each will run around $35/bottle.
I don't typically drink Scotch. But I did get to visit the Famous Grouse Distillery in the UK a couple years back. In their bar on the grounds they served it with Ginger Beer. Now that was pretty good!

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
They mixed Scotch with ginger beer?!

Sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie..........
Scotch is similar to chicken! You have to do something to it so it is fit to drink! :D

Trivia for you. Is it spelled Whisky or Whiskey?

Cowboy2U

Federal Marshal
Mar 31, 2008
McCallan is aged in old sherry casks and this imparts a very unusual taste on the scotch...kinda of a sweet flavor. Great stuff but pricy. There is a scotch called Glen Salen which is all malt (not a single malt) and very reasonably priced. I bought my dad a bottle of 30 year old Highland Park and it's the best I ever had. Here are the most popular if it helps:

http://whisky.com/

Erick

Jun 11, 2006
Yukon, Oklahoma:
Scotch is similar to chicken! You have to do something to it so it is fit to drink! :D

Trivia for you. Is it spelled Whisky or Whiskey?
Welcome to the booze board, Cimarron!

If you insist on mixing, may I suggest a fine blended whiskey, aged for one year in a most fragrant shoe then encased in a lovely petroleum based transparent container?

You drink chickens?

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.

If you insist on mixing, may I suggest a fine blended whiskey, aged for one year in a most fragrant shoe then encased in a lovely petroleum based transparent container?

You drink chickens?
WOW, you've just described Jamie 08 scotch to a tee.:x

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007

You drink chickens?
No, but you can't eat chicken without doing something to it other than cooking it.

A steak now is totally different!

swamppoke

ole 3 putt.
A/V Subscriber
Feb 11, 2004
The Sand Shaker
Auchentoshan Triple Wood. Nectar of the Gods.
not "triple distilled", but TRIPLE WOOD.

almost impossible to find in OK. The UPS guy brings me mine shipped from NY (what a great guy). Around $50 and better than most $90 bottles. The perfect celebratory glass.

in the available world, Balvenie Founder's Reserve is nice, priced in the middle of the single malts around $35.

Oct 19, 2008
Dalwhinnie would be a nice scotch to start the evening with before dinner. For a little more flavor move on to Talisker. To end the evening advance to any of the Islay choices, Laphroig, Lagavulin, Ardbeg, Port Ellen. These are extremely peaty.