Scoring Defenses in conference play.

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
Below is the average points per game allowed by each team in their Conference games to date.

10.0 = Oklahoma State
20.5 = Baylor
24.0 - West Virginia
28.0 = Kansas State
32.0 = Iowa State
34.0 = TCU
37.5 = Oklahoma
44.5 = Texas
47.0 = Texas Tech
47.0 =Kansas

Interesting that Baylor (our next opponent) has played the same conference opponents to date as has our Cowboys.

Baylor went 1-1 against Kansas/West Virginia by an average score of 34-20.
OSU went 2-0 against Kansas/West Virginia by an average score of 37-10.

We each scored 47 points against Kansas. OSU's defense was one touchdown better against Kansas than was Baylor's.

Looks like a pretty even match-up as we head into Waco...

Nov 6, 2010
So I think we're all pretty pleased with the defense, what differences have you noticed between Knowles and Spencer so far?? My observations:

1. Spencer stressed turnovers and Knowles seems to stress tackling/stops. I remember seeing a lot of missed tackles with Spencer D's while the first guy was wildly trying to strip the ball instead of just getting the guy on the ground.
2. QB scrambles - I remember under Spencer it seemed that when the QB rolled out of the pocket, the closest LB or safety would just move sideways with him in a kind of no-mans land, which gave the QB time to find a receiver or make a decision to run. Now it seems whenever QB gets out of the pocket, the closest second level guy to him has no hesitation and just makes a b-line for him. Not sure if that was coaching or individual player instincts, but given it is almost universal with this D, I think there has to be some coaching in that.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
So I think we're all pretty pleased with the defense, what differences have you noticed between Knowles and Spencer so far?? My observations:

1. Spencer stressed turnovers and Knowles seems to stress tackling/stops. I remember seeing a lot of missed tackles with Spencer D's while the first guy was wildly trying to strip the ball instead of just getting the guy on the ground.
2. QB scrambles - I remember under Spencer it seemed that when the QB rolled out of the pocket, the closest LB or safety would just move sideways with him in a kind of no-mans land, which gave the QB time to find a receiver or make a decision to run. Now it seems whenever QB gets out of the pocket, the closest second level guy to him has no hesitation and just makes a b-line for him. Not sure if that was coaching or individual player instincts, but given it is almost universal with this D, I think there has to be some coaching in that.
Nothing used to torque me off more than one of our guys trying to wrestle the ball away from a RB or WR while they both moved 5-10 extra yards down the field (after first contact) - the extra yards seemingly often resulting in a first down. The improvement of this defense at getting off the field is most impressive.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I'm cautiously optimistic about the defense. We really haven't played against an offense worth a lick. But, so far so good.
Tulsa 34 UCF 26
WVU 27 Baylor 21
WVU 56 EKU 10

Both Tulsa and WVU have decent offenses. Both have returning starters @QB and both have good running backs. The Tulsa QB beat OU when he was @Baylor. He had 3,279 yards last year @Tulsa. WVU QB has over 5K career passing yards in college...mostly at BGSU in Ohio. While neither team are world beaters, I do think both are salty enough to give us a decent read on our defense. IF we stay injury free I think it's a very safe bet to say we have BY FAR the best defense in conference...Of course time will tell if I'm correct and I admit I'm a homer so who knows. AND, all that said, Baylor gave us fits last year and we need to make a huge change in that game. I'm hopeful that we can, but I do think Baylor is pretty salty on offense. It will be a real test on the road.

Oct 30, 2007
Knowles has CBs cover WRs, Spencer forbid them from being within 15 yards of LoS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Probably no coincidence that the Ds with lowest points allowed (us, BU and WVU) have played the most offensively challenged teams
(And that includes us in offensively challenged right now)
let’s tap the brakes a little

Nov 6, 2010
Probably no coincidence that the Ds with lowest points allowed (us, BU and WVU) have played the most offensively challenged teams
(And that includes us in offensively challenged right now)
let’s tap the brakes a little
Certainly tougher sledding ahead, but for me at least, I'm also considering the second half of last year. This defensive has been coming on strong for a while.

Dec 20, 2010
South Tulsa
Just a few reminders that effect such comparisons

Baylor and West Virginia only scored 14 points each in regulation in their contest last week.

The 7 points that Kansas scored on us was in the fourth quarter against ostensibly our third team defense. If you don't count this TD, then OSU's first team defense has yet to yield a red zone TD, or a rushing TD.

Kansas had a 79 yard TD drive to open the game against Baylor.

14 of Baylor's 47 points against Kansas came from Special Teams, which ran two kickoffs back for TDs and another 2 points were scored by the defense on a safety. Baylor's offense only scored 31 points against the Jayhawks.

Sep 9, 2013
not accurate at all. WVU's defence gave up 17 against ya'll not 27. you got 10 from our offense.
WVU's defense ranks 1st in yards per play and yards per game over last 5 big 12 games, 2 against you.

Dec 20, 2010
South Tulsa
not accurate at all. WVU's defenCe gave up 17 against ya'll not 27. you got 10 from our offense.
WVU's defense ranks 1st in yards per play and yards per game over last 5 big 12 games, 2 against you.
How do you figure your offense GAVE us ten. Seven points were scored by our defenSe after our defenSe batted the ball off of your QB's hands and a DefenSive End scooped up the fumble and took it to the house. I also didn't see anybody from your OffenSe kick a 44 yard field goal for us. That field goal was kicked by OSU's kicker after an 8 play, 40 yard drive by our OFFENSE.

Just got to love how you come in here and twist facts to fit your ludicrous, homer arguments.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2013
How do you figure your offense GAVE us ten. Seven points were scored by our defenSe after our defenSe batted the ball off of your QB's hands and a DefenSive End scooped up the fumble and took it to the house. I also didn't see anybody from your OffenSe kick a 44 yard field goal for us. That field goal was kicked by OSU's kicker after an 8 play, 40 yard drive by our OFFENSE.

Just got to love how come in here and twist facts to fit your ludicrous, homer arguments.
Technically you're right. you got 7 directly from the offense. However, when offenses turn the ball over deep in their own, a fg is really all the d can do even with a 3 and out.

I'm not saying OSU's defense isnt the best(time will tell). But you're metric doesnt tell the whole tale.

there are things like 3rd down efficiency, how many yards per play, yards per game, tackles for loss, sacks, picks, turnovers that also have a lot of importance in judging a defense.

Army typically burns a lot of clock with their offense, giving opposing offenses fewer scoring opportunities. that doesnt mean army has a great defense bc its ppg is lower than another school who runs tempo and puts their defense on the field 90 plus plays per game.

ALL THAT SAID, it does appear OSU has the best defense so far. But i thought that too until they played OU last year and were basically run over by a team that got beat like 63 to 20(or whatever) by another team.

Dec 20, 2010
South Tulsa
Technically you're right. you got 7 directly from the offense. However, when offenses turn the ball over deep in their own, a fg is really all the d can do even with a 3 and out.

I'm not saying OSU's defense isnt the best(time will tell). But you're metric doesnt tell the whole tale.

there are things like 3rd down efficiency, how many yards per play, yards per game, tackles for loss, sacks, picks, turnovers that also have a lot of importance in judging a defense.

Army typically burns a lot of clock with their offense, giving opposing offenses fewer scoring opportunities. that doesnt mean army has a great defense bc its ppg is lower than another school who runs tempo and puts their defense on the field 90 plus plays per game.

ALL THAT SAID, it does appear OSU has the best defense so far. But i thought that too until they played OU last year and were basically run over by a team that got beat like 63 to 20(or whatever) by another team.
That's an awful lot of blather. It would've been a lot more efficient of yours and our time, if you had simply typed:

"You're right. I was totally BSing you with all that 'our offense gave you ten points." You tried to pull off convincing us of some talking point on the WVU board that is basically the masturbatorial garbage tossed around in a pity-party circle-jerk that often occurs right after a failure to pull off an upset victory.

"Geez, we coulda won, but our @*&(@#! offense gave OSU ten points.'

Work harder.

Aug 30, 2018
Jonesville South Carolina
That's an awful lot of blather. It would've been a lot more efficient of yours and our time, if you had simply typed:

"You're right. I was totally BSing you with all that 'our offense gave you ten points." You tried to pull off convincing us of some talking point on the WVU board that is basically the masturbatorial garbage tossed around in a pity-party circle-jerk that often occurs right after a failure to pull off an upset victory.

"Geez, we coulda won, but our @*&(@#! offense gave OSU ten points.'

Work harder.
I was wondering why none of their offensive players couldn’t run down our DE before he scored that TD. I mean to hear him talk about all of these speedsters WVU has, why didn’t they run him down? Like I said couple of weeks ago, he is like the five year old who tries to impress his older brother’s 12 year old friends.

Nov 1, 2009
Dallas
I was wondering why none of their offensive players couldn’t run down our DE before he scored that TD. I mean to hear him talk about all of these speedsters WVU has, why didn’t they run him down? Like I said couple of weeks ago, he is like the five year old who tries to impress his older brother’s 12 year old friends.
Just be glad rich rod wasn’t on the sidelines.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
The defense has been stellar for multiple reasons. Some of which are,
1. We have a lot of veteran players across all positions
2. We have corners that can play man on the outside
3. We have a DC that knows how and is willing to take advantage of item #2 above
4. Our tackling is the most solid I've ever seen since being an OSU fan
5. It's early in a super bizarre season where offenses haven't had much practice, so we should expect all defenses to have a slight advantage over offenses right now
6. Our opponents may not have super strong offenses (too early to say)
7. Our offense has generally played a little slower and deliberate, allowing the defense to rest a bit more than usual
8. Probably other things that I don't know about

It's awesome no matter how you slice it. Let's hope we can keep it going!

Jun 14, 2011
3. We have a DC that knows how and is willing to take advantage of item #2 above
5. It's early in a super bizarre season where offenses haven't had much practice, so we should expect all defenses to have a slight advantage over offenses right now
7. Our offense has generally played a little slower and deliberate, allowing the defense to rest a bit more than usual

...into next year since eligibility is not a concern! I am SUPER stoked about that prospect. Hopefully guys stick around.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia

We haven't play our nemesis yet.