Scheduling

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

orngblkzebra

"All this endless thinking, it's very overrated."
A/V Subscriber
Feb 9, 2015
Shawnee, OK
I need to update my graph that shows winning % compared to when people started watching OSU football. Its a good, simple graph that sheds light on why people expect what they expect. For example, I was a small child living in backwoods Alabama when Pat Jones made those comments. I couldn't have told you what OSU's primary colors were before 2002 when I enrolled. That said, my expectations for OSU football are wildly different than someone that's been a fan for many decades.

Edit: see below

View attachment 64205

This graph shows the win % that a fan would have seen in their OSU fan lifetime. It isn't a win % by year, but rather a win % that's been experienced since a starting date. For me, I became a fan in 2002. We have a record of 138-67 in that time, so I've seen a win % of 0.673.

For a fan who started watching in 2010, they expect more. We're 78-26 in that time for a win % of around .75.

When did you start watching? It will explain why you expect what you expect.

In all seriousness, Brother, we all expect the same thing- Championships! The trick is knowing how to appreciate what these young men accomplish along the way. We can be discerning without ignoring a moment of greatness. What they do is entertainment for us but never forget that uniform encompasses their hopes and dreams in the here and now.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Didn't some big names back out of a contract and we were left scrambling to find a replacement?
Clemson had a home and home set up at some point.
I think conference realignment a few years back messed us up with more than just Clemson. And I remember hearing something about the guy doing the scheduling was removed a couple of years back because of these Fiasco's.

Sent from my stang5litre Edition 5.0 using Tapatalk

Mar 27, 2012
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Maybe we could schedule some of the following:

Western Kentucky, Tulane, Arkansas State, Florida International, North Texas, Chattanooga, San Jose State, Georgia State, Kent State, Georgia Southern, Florida Atlantic, Western Carolina, Colorado State, Middle Tennessee, Louisiana Monroe, Charleston Southern, Fresno State, Mercer, the Citadel, Duke, Tennessee Martin, New Mexico, or Louisiana Ragin Cajuns.

We could sprinkle in an actual good team every three years or so. Maybe Florida State, Penn State, USC, or West Virginia. Never mind, we play WV every year. We probably couldn't get any of these teams to commit anyway because they are too busy playing Alabama.

All the teams in the above list already played or are scheduled to play Alabama within the next two years. This in an exact list of Alabama's OOC schedule from 2008 until 2020.

Sounds like the Cowboys are following the exact model the big boys use. We have played our share of cupcakes during the same span, sprinkle in Houston, Pitt, Georgia, Arizona, Florida State, Mississippi State and Boise State and that is our schedule from the exact same span. Our OOC schedule is and has been VERY similar to Alabama's. Had Clemson not canceled, ours would be tougher and may be anyway.

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
The SEC is doing something right with how they schedule one of their cupcake non-conference opponents toward the end of the year. Heal some injuries, rest some starters, ensure a W when the stakes are higher...

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
That's usually Kansas for us.
The SEC is doing something right with how they schedule one of their cupcake non-conference opponents toward the end of the year. Heal some injuries, rest some starters, ensure a W when the stakes are higher...
Sent from my stang5litre Edition 5.0 using Tapatalk

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
We don’t play in the SEC where 6 to 7 teams are gonna be ranked in the top 25 every year. You have to schedule better or you’ll never get the benefit of the doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

osuwhit

Cutting the grass and listening to Van Halen rap.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
KCMO
That’s sour grapes talking there. That was 12 years ago. It was a bowl game. Wasn’t for a national championship. Really didn’t matter really. Those games are for pride. They wanted it more obviously. Big whoop. Turn the page.

My point is the ultimate goal in today’s college football landscape is to impress the playoff committee. We’re already playing in a conference that is looked down upon. You have to help yourself by scheduling quality marquee matchups. Boise State isn’t one of those.

Oklahoma schedules a marquee matchup every year and decent FBS competition. They’ll sprinkle in a FCS opponent occasionally. They’ve played two in the last decade. There’s two scheduled in the next decade.

Texas (bless their hearts) schedules their ass off despite not being good the last decade. They’ve played Cal, UCLA, BYU, Ole Miss, Notre Dame, and USC in recent memory.

These are the things you have to do when you’re not a darling in the SEC. Apparently the formula works. Oklahoma made the playoffs two of the last three years. And those marquee matchups were cherries on top of the regular seasons work.

LOL seems your BCS bowls counted when you won them, but the ones you didn't win.. haha.. it's a very aggy take.

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
That’s sour grapes talking there. That was 12 years ago. It was a bowl game. Wasn’t for a national championship. Really didn’t matter really. Those games are for pride. They wanted it more obviously. Big whoop. Turn the page.

My point is the ultimate goal in today’s college football landscape is to impress the playoff committee. We’re already playing in a conference that is looked down upon. You have to help yourself by scheduling quality marquee matchups. Boise State isn’t one of those.

Oklahoma schedules a marquee matchup every year and decent FBS competition. They’ll sprinkle in a FCS opponent occasionally. They’ve played two in the last decade. There’s two scheduled in the next decade.

Texas (bless their hearts) schedules their ass off despite not being good the last decade. They’ve played Cal, UCLA, BYU, Ole Miss, Notre Dame, and USC in recent memory.

These are the things you have to do when you’re not a darling in the SEC. Apparently the formula works. Oklahoma made the playoffs two of the last three years. And those marquee matchups were cherries on top of the regular seasons work.

LOL seems your BCS bowls counted when you won them, but the ones you didn't win.. haha.. it's a very aggy take.
Not really if you think about it. Who really gives a shit about a bowl win? Unless it’s something significant, it really doesn’t matter. It’s literally just a cherry on top, but doesn’t matter either way. Conference championships are more important.

The Sugar Bowl against Bama was significant, because they’re the best team out there. And it showed by the extra recruiting boost at the end of the season. But rarely is that the case.

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
Conference championships are more important.
I will agree with this quote above.

You cherry picked a bowl, proving my point.
I cherry picked a bowl because that’s the only one that’s had any relevant impact to program success.

No other bowl win or outcome short of playoff or national championship appearance has done that.