Scheduling

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I'm proud of that projection and I think it's BOLD. I'm actually not as positive as you are on this game, but I have a higher regard for Boise than you do, so there is that...I do think we will win, but a 10 point win would be VERY impressive and I don't expect that. I'll be happy with ANY win over them. I'm actually surprised by your prediction. Hope you are correct.
My YUGE caveat is that *if* Cornelius take another step in his development. I'm 50/50 on that based on the first two games, but as a fan, I'm hopeful that he can do it based on Gundy's resounding endorsement. Gundy's made his share of mistakes, but he's gotten a lot right over time as well. His endorsement of Cornelius means something, at least.

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
The wound that Boise left in OU still seems fresh if they are going to say Boise isn't good lol.
That’s sour grapes talking there. That was 12 years ago. It was a bowl game. Wasn’t for a national championship. Really didn’t matter really. Those games are for pride. They wanted it more obviously. Big whoop. Turn the page.

My point is the ultimate goal in today’s college football landscape is to impress the playoff committee. We’re already playing in a conference that is looked down upon. You have to help yourself by scheduling quality marquee matchups. Boise State isn’t one of those.

Oklahoma schedules a marquee matchup every year and decent FBS competition. They’ll sprinkle in a FCS opponent occasionally. They’ve played two in the last decade. There’s two scheduled in the next decade.

Texas (bless their hearts) schedules their ass off despite not being good the last decade. They’ve played Cal, UCLA, BYU, Ole Miss, Notre Dame, and USC in recent memory.

These are the things you have to do when you’re not a darling in the SEC. Apparently the formula works. Oklahoma made the playoffs two of the last three years. And those marquee matchups were cherries on top of the regular seasons work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

orngblkzebra

"All this endless thinking, it's very overrated."
A/V Subscriber
Feb 9, 2015
Shawnee, OK
Whoa. You're all over the place with this, zebra. First, you bedowngrade the idea of "hedging everything" (what I call "waiting for more data points before I set my expectations"). Then you turn around and say that I can't realistically predict outcomes unless I'm on the sidelines or in the huddle. If the latter is true, then how could any non-player or non-coach discuss anything on a message board? Yet we see all these sunshine pumpers predicting crazy outcomes all the time. I guess they're all in the huddle or on the sidelines!

So yeah......I call my outlook realistic. I'm not gonna predict outcomes until I personally have enough evidence to do so with some degree of confidence. Why would any person ever do anything different than that?
But, you don't just take a "realistic" view. You have to make sure the sunshine pumpers are in their place as delusional and simple minded. We had postive data coming out of our arse last year and still lost 3 games- and almost a 4th(UT). What does the team have to do to get a little excitement out of (some of) you? I mean, honestly, Corndog sets a school record in his 1st 2 starts and instead of an "atta boy" he gets "well, but, yeah,umm...maybe next week you'll do better". That's not sunshine, it's giving credit where it's due and hoping to inspire more.

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
Lordy.... I know you’re digging and all... but scheduling a blue chip historic P5 program is gonna trump scheduling a ranked G5 program any day of the week.

Remember several years back when you guys scheduled and beat Georgia? Good times right?

Gundy schedules scared. He’s gone on record saying he’d rather play a cupcake. Ranked G5 and mid level P5 opponents aren’t gonna win you any style points. Right now, Boise State, Arizona State and Oregon State are the only OOC schedule bling you guys got. It’s costume jewelry at best.

We also scheduled Houston and lost...just like your gooners did.
Yeah but Houston isn’t P5 either. The marquee matchup that year was Ohio State which unfortunately Oklahoma lost too. It’s nice to be able to rebound, win the conference and beat Auburn in the Sugar Bowl though.

Cro

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
Yeah OU has without question scheduled better than us overall. They always play at least 1 P5 opponent, and it's usually someone pretty good.

I don't have any problem with our schedule other than Missouri State. We should never play FCS teams ever. I think this year's non-conf would be perfect if we just played, say, Rice or someone like that instead of Missouri State.

Play two bad teams and one team that could beat you if you don't play well... like a mid-range power five team or a good G5 team like Boise.
not excusing MO St being on the schedule, but the main reason teams schedule an FCS team as opposed to all P5 schools is $$$$. Prob cost us around 400-500K for MO St. P5 team, even the worst of the worst will cost us around 4 mi $$$$.. i don't know if most people realize that or take it into account.........

Cro

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
Lordy.... I know you’re digging and all... but scheduling a blue chip historic P5 program is gonna trump scheduling a ranked G5 program any day of the week.

Remember several years back when you guys scheduled and beat Georgia? Good times right?

Gundy schedules scared. He’s gone on record saying he’d rather play a cupcake. Ranked G5 and mid level P5 opponents aren’t gonna win you any style points. Right now, Boise State, Arizona State and Oregon State are the only OOC schedule bling you guys got. It’s costume jewelry at best.

please go find a private chat room to blow Castiglione.............

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
But, you don't just take a "realistic" view. You have to make sure the sunshine pumpers are in their place as delusional and simple minded. We had postive data coming out of our arse last year and still lost 3 games- and almost a 4th(UT). What does the team have to do to get a little excitement out of (some of) you? I mean, honestly, Corndog sets a school record in his 1st 2 starts and instead of an "atta boy" he gets "well, but, yeah,umm...maybe next week you'll do better". That's not sunshine, it's giving credit where it's due and hoping to inspire more.
Please read post #53 in this thread which contains further insight into my current expectations.

That said, I'm unwilling to marvel at his numbers given our competition so far.

Last edited:

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Always cracks me up whenever someone says anything similar to this. With this logic, what in the world is the point of having a message board to begin with? The whole damn point of this board is to discuss OSU sports and speculation/predictions/criticisms make up a major part of it. If all we did was say things like "nice throw", "good game", etc., it would be pretty bland and pointless.
Ex-freakin'-actly. On one hand, he's bedowngrading a person that "hedges their bets" because they're not in the huddle, then praises people who make a bunch of "bold" predictions (even though they're not in the huddle). I just don't understand the cognitive dissonance.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Please read post #53 in this thread which contains further insight into my current expectations.

That said, I'm unwilling to marvel at his numbers given our competition so far.
I remember the dark days, when Pat and the gang would struggle to eak out a win against crappy competition. He'd always say "hey a win is a win". This isn't another appreciate the good times post. I'm just saying a 40 point win is a 40 point win. I'm not thrilled with 2 cupcakes in a row, but that's who is on the schedule and we did what good teams do to cupcakes.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I remember the dark days, when Pat and the gang would struggle to eak out a win against crappy competition. He'd always say "hey a win is a win". This isn't another appreciate the good times post. I'm just saying a 40 point win is a 40 point win. I'm not thrilled with 2 cupcakes in a row, but that's who is on the schedule and we did what good teams do to cupcakes.
I need to update my graph that shows winning % compared to when people started watching OSU football. Its a good, simple graph that sheds light on why people expect what they expect. For example, I was a small child living in backwoods Alabama when Pat Jones made those comments. I couldn't have told you what OSU's primary colors were before 2002 when I enrolled. That said, my expectations for OSU football are wildly different than someone that's been a fan for many decades.

Edit: see below

2018 Expectations Graph.jpg

This graph shows the win % that a fan would have seen in their OSU fan lifetime. It isn't a win % by year, but rather a win % that's been experienced since a starting date. For me, I became a fan in 2002. We have a record of 138-67 in that time, so I've seen a win % of 0.673.

For a fan who started watching in 2010, they expect more. We're 78-26 in that time for a win % of around .75.

When did you start watching? It will explain why you expect what you expect.

Last edited:

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
Yeah but Houston isn’t P5 either. The marquee matchup that year was Ohio State which unfortunately Oklahoma lost too. It’s nice to be able to rebound, win the conference and beat Auburn in the Sugar Bowl though.

Right because Ohio State was ranked higher than Houston. See how that works?
There’s no brand recognition with Houston. There is with Ohio State. Hence why it’s a more important matchup when trying to impress a playoff committee.

There’s no brand recognition with Boise State either even if they’re ranked. You know who’s gonna carry more weight on your schedule? Oklahoma, TCU and West Virginia. In order from biggest to smallest. Then after that Texas and probably Boise State.

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark

"Wasn't for a national championship. It was a bowl game. Really didn't matter." - You
It’s the truth. They’re a cherry on top, but not necessarily a mood killer. Conference titles mean more than bowl wins. Always have, always will.

Jun 11, 2016
Oklahoma City
It’s the truth. They’re a cherry on top, but not necessarily a mood killer. Conference titles mean more than bowl wins. Always have, always will.

I mean I agree. I'm not arguing that, but to say that bowl wins don't carry some weight is plain dumb. It builds a lot of momentum for the next season. Just like in 2014 when OU beat Alabama and all of the sudden everyone started buying OU stock. I actually agreed with you in my initial post that our future OOC is weak. However, to say this year that OU's OOC is better than OSU's is..well..again dumb.

Kev_Dawg

Banned
Banned
Apr 14, 2018
Owasso
There’s no brand recognition with Houston. There is with Ohio State. Hence why it’s a more important matchup when trying to impress a playoff committee.

There’s no brand recognition with Boise State either even if they’re ranked. You know who’s gonna carry more weight on your schedule? Oklahoma, TCU and West Virginia. In order from biggest to smallest. Then after that Texas and probably Boise State.

Where they're ranked when you play them, and then at the end of the season is a lot more important than playing a brand name. When was the last time UCLA was that great? Their last conference title was 1998. In the last 20 years they have a few 10 win seasons sprinkled in, with even more medicore to losing seasons.

If Ohio State sucks and Houston is in the top 15, I think the playoff committee is smart enough to dissect that.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005

Luckily the committee is comprised of people who know college football, take their jobs seriously, and don't have ringworm.

They're doing wonderful things with topical creams these days.

orngblkzebra

"All this endless thinking, it's very overrated."
A/V Subscriber
Feb 9, 2015
Shawnee, OK
I need to update my graph that shows winning % compared to when people started watching OSU football. Its a good, simple graph that sheds light on why people expect what they expect. For example, I was a small child living in backwoods Alabama when Pat Jones made those comments. I couldn't have told you what OSU's primary colors were before 2002 when I enrolled. That said, my expectations for OSU football are wildly different than someone that's been a fan for many decades.

Edit: see below

View attachment 64205

This graph shows the win % that a fan would have seen in their OSU fan lifetime. It isn't a win % by year, but rather a win % that's been experienced since a starting date. For me, I became a fan in 2002. We have a record of 138-67 in that time, so I've seen a win % of 0.673.

For a fan who started watching in 2010, they expect more. We're 78-26 in that time for a win % of around .75.

When did you start watching? It will explain why you expect what you expect.

SEE!!!! You even have a graph establishing a class structure within the fanbase.

Woah... Nelly!!!