Scheduling

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
Mostly I see rational people talking about a good upcoming match up. Maybe the "intensity setting" on my computer is too low. I looked under settings but can't find how to adjust that.

Any ideas?
The ignore button. But to be fair, Birry is more annoying with an occasionally good point than say Jimmy.

Feb 18, 2009
We could have scheduled Savannah State, but they were busy playing Miami. Or Arky State, but they were playing Bama. uo will play an FCS opponent 2 straight years. Get over the scheduling crap. We are playing a top 25 team in the non con. I wonder how many Big XII teams, or Power 5 teams actually do that?
Only three I can think of. Us, TCU and Kstate. WVU did have an extra Power 5 game that we don't. Holgy was very proud of that preseason and used it to rip on SEC schools that only play 9 of those type of games.

Oct 30, 2007
It says something about a team whenever they handle their business against lesser competition. I'm encouraged by the fact that we beat South Alabama by 42 despite our struggles on the offensive line and a bad interception in the endzone.

Just imagine how Texas must feel after beating Tulsa by a touchdown. Tulsa won two games last season.

The real season starts Saturday. We're about to step on the field against an opponent that can fight back. It will be interesting to see how this team responds when they get hit in the mouth.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
The ignore button. But to be fair, Birry is more annoying with an occasionally good point than say Jimmy.
Still doesn't really fix the problem. I noticed in the last elections something must be out of whack with my intensity setting on my computer. At least that's what the IT guys at work suggested.

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
OU hasn't scheduled an FCS opponent since 2012. Texas hasn't played an FCS opponent since 2006.
This is true. However OU plays South Dakota and Missouri State over the next 2 years and have open dates in 2021, 2022, and 2023 so we will see how they fill those.

For all the pissing and moaning over the summer about how much "better" OU's non-con schedule is than ours, Boise is easily better than FAU, UCLA, and Army. TCU has the best non-con game in the conference vs. Ohio State but I think Boise is #2 (although I could be convinced Mississippi State is better).
Never mind the fact that Oklahoma has scheduled Tennessee, Nebraska, Michigan and LSU to home/home matchups in the future. Just overlook those. That didn’t help your “Boysee Stayte WO00W” argument very well did it?

Oklahoma was supposed to have a home/home with LSU this year but they postponed it. UCLA wasn’t the first choice here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Never mind the fact that Oklahoma has scheduled Tennessee, Nebraska, Michigan and LSU to home/home matchups in the future. Just overlook those. That didn’t help your “Boysee Stayte WO00W” argument very well did it?

Oklahoma was supposed to have a home/home with LSU this year but they postponed it. UCLA wasn’t the first choice here.

Boise currently outranks Tennessee, Nebraska and Michigan. Luckily pollsters know more about football than that lady in the office that still thinks Nebraska is a top 5 program.

We had a game with Clemson in the near future that got cancelled too.

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
I was referring specifically to future schedules, as were you. Oklahoma has scheduled FCS opponents before, though they’re few and far between. In the last decade they played Florida A&M and Idaho State. In the future, there’s two matchups so far.

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark

Boise currently outranks Tennessee, Nebraska and Michigan. Luckily pollsters know more about football than that lady in the office that still thinks Nebraska is a top 5 program.

We had a game with Clemson in the near future that got cancelled too.
Lordy.... I know you’re digging and all... but scheduling a blue chip historic P5 program is gonna trump scheduling a ranked G5 program any day of the week.

Remember several years back when you guys scheduled and beat Georgia? Good times right?

Gundy schedules scared. He’s gone on record saying he’d rather play a cupcake. Ranked G5 and mid level P5 opponents aren’t gonna win you any style points. Right now, Boise State, Arizona State and Oregon State are the only OOC schedule bling you guys got. It’s costume jewelry at best.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Lordy.... I know you’re digging and all... but scheduling a blue chip historic P5 program is gonna trump scheduling a ranked G5 program any day of the week.

Remember several years back when you guys scheduled and beat Georgia? Good times right?

Gundy schedules scared. He’s gone on record saying he’d rather play a cupcake. Ranked G5 and mid level P5 opponents aren’t gonna win you any style points. Right now, Boise State, Arizona State and Oregon State are the only OOC schedule bling you guys got. It’s costume jewelry at best.

Ranked > Unranked

Jun 11, 2016
Oklahoma City
So we played Georgia. Had a game with Clemson canceled and we played Florida St right after they won the championship. Our future OOC is pretty weak, I agree. However, we have played some pretty good teams here and there.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
I didn't realize that OU had started to schedule FCS opponents in the coming years. I guess that isn't surprising though with a new head coach.

Scheduling can be hit or miss anyways. UCLA was a top 25 team coming off a 10 win season back when OU scheduled the series. Now they're struggling to go .500 and Florida Atlantic & Army are coming off of seasons with double digit wins.

Traditionally our cupcakes have been worse than OU & UT's cupcakes. I think part of that comes down to money. It's cheaper to buy a home game from an FCS opponent than a lower tier FBS opponent.
As others referenced, it also has to do with their better negotiating position as blue bloods. We may not like to admit it, but lower tier teams get more exposure (on top of a potentially higher payday from the larger athletics budget) from playing blue bloods than they do playing us. UCLA is much more likely to listen to a pitch from OU or to even make a pitch themselves than us. Not fun to admit, but it's true.

orngblkzebra

"All this endless thinking, it's very overrated."
A/V Subscriber
Feb 9, 2015
Shawnee, OK
So tempering expectations until we have actual data points = being a sad sack. Got it.

By the way, I think we'll beat BSU by 10+ points if Cornelius continues to improve. I think the run game will do better than 3.7 per attempt. I think the defense will come up with a couple turnovers. Special teams will remain an adventure. If we lose, I suspect it will be special teams related.

But don't let that sway you from all your derp emoji and thumbsdown reactions.
You may not be negative but you do hedge everything. Not sure if you're afraid to be wrong but, to be so pompous about what you call "realism" is delusional. Unless you're on the sidelines or in the huddle ( so to speak), what control do you have over any aspect of the program. Buy a ticket, drink a beer, be entertained...that's it. You remind me of a sideline reporter: a hot take here, a general observation there, "rhetorical questions for the coach at the half" everywhere but, baby, you're never gettin' up in the booth!!!

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
As others referenced, it also has to do with their better negotiating position as blue bloods. We may not like to admit it, but lower tier teams get more exposure (on top of a potentially higher payday from the larger athletics budget) from playing blue bloods than they do playing us. UCLA is much more likely to listen to a pitch from OU or to even make a pitch themselves than us. Not fun to admit, but it's true.
Not to mention there's a better chance of getting out of a game with Nebraska, Arizona, Iowa and others with a win than little old, "okie lite". High risk / reward ratio playing us.

Perception changes slowly but every win and every 9+ win season improves our lot in the college pecking order. Some of the local sooner "guests" remind us we are becoming more of a problem.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
You may not be negative but you do hedge everything. Not sure if you're afraid to be wrong but, to be so pompous about what you call "realism" is delusional. Unless you're on the sidelines or in the huddle ( so to speak), what control do you have over any aspect of the program. Buy a ticket, drink a beer, be entertained...that's it. You remind me of a sideline reporter: a hot take here, a general observation there, "rhetorical questions for the coach at the half" everywhere but, baby, you're never gettin' up in the booth!!!
Whoa. You're all over the place with this, zebra. First, you bedowngrade the idea of "hedging everything" (what I call "waiting for more data points before I set my expectations"). Then you turn around and say that I can't realistically predict outcomes unless I'm on the sidelines or in the huddle. If the latter is true, then how could any non-player or non-coach discuss anything on a message board? Yet we see all these sunshine pumpers predicting crazy outcomes all the time. I guess they're all in the huddle or on the sidelines!

So yeah......I call my outlook realistic. I'm not gonna predict outcomes until I personally have enough evidence to do so with some degree of confidence. Why would any person ever do anything different than that?

Last edited:

Kev_Dawg

Banned
Banned
Apr 14, 2018
Owasso
Unless you're on the sidelines or in the huddle ( so to speak), what control do you have over any aspect of the program. Buy a ticket, drink a beer, be entertained...that's it.
Always cracks me up whenever someone says anything similar to this. With this logic, what in the world is the point of having a message board to begin with? The whole damn point of this board is to discuss OSU sports and speculation/predictions/criticisms make up a major part of it. If all we did was say things like "nice throw", "good game", etc., it would be pretty bland and pointless.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
So tempering expectations until we have actual data points = being a sad sack. Got it.

By the way, I think we'll beat BSU by 10+ points if Cornelius continues to improve. I think the run game will do better than 3.7 per attempt. I think the defense will come up with a couple turnovers. Special teams will remain an adventure. If we lose, I suspect it will be special teams related.

But don't let that sway you from all your derp emoji and thumbsdown reactions.
I'm proud of that projection and I think it's BOLD. I'm actually not as positive as you are on this game, but I have a higher regard for Boise than you do, so there's that...I do think we will win, but a 10 point win would be VERY impressive and I don't expect that. I'll be happy with ANY win over them. I'm actually surprised by your prediction. Hope you are correct.

Last edited:

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth

We also scheduled Houston and lost...just like your gooners did.