Scheduling

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Currently, surprisingly to me, Oklahoma State is sitting at #1 in Total offense (gaining 674.5 ypg) and #11 in Total defense in the country (giving up 237 ypg). Of course this is only through 2 games and is a factor of who we have played... Boise is #4 in total offense and #24 in total defense. Certainly this has a ton to do with who we have played so far, but it's still interesting considering the semi pessimistic attitude of our on-line fan-base currently. I would not have guessed these stats.
From the article,
However, when you consider that OSU got those yards and points against Missouri State (an FCS opponent) and South Alabama (a mid-level Sun Belt Conference squad), you should recognize that the Cowboys haven’t yet achieved anything extraordinary.

Spot on. Since we scheduled a wet paper bag and Girl Scout Troop 117 for our first two games, you would expect us to put up huge numbers. I'll get excited about our stats once we play a real team.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Currently, surprisingly to me, Oklahoma State is sitting at #1 in Total offense (gaining 674.5 ypg) and #11 in Total defense in the country (giving up 237 ypg). Of course this is only through 2 games and is a factor of who we have played... Boise is #4 in total offense and #24 in total defense. Certainly this has a ton to do with who we have played so far, but it's still interesting considering the semi pessimistic attitude of our on-line fan-base currently. I would not have guessed these stats.
From the article,
However, when you consider that OSU got those yards and points against Missouri State (an FCS opponent) and South Alabama (a mid-level Sun Belt Conference squad), you should recognize that the Cowboys haven’t yet achieved anything extraordinary.

Spot on. Since we scheduled a wet paper bag and Girl Scout Troop 117 for our first two games, you would expect us to put up huge numbers. I'll get excited about our stats once we play a real team.
But your comment would make more sense or carry more weight if someone was able to go through the power 5 conferences and look at the opponents of everybody else and see how they've done offensively. Because something tells me there are other teams that have played cupcakes but yet haven't put up near those numbers.

Sent from my stang5litre Edition 5.0 using Tapatalk

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
From the article,

We could have scheduled Savannah State, but they were busy playing Miami. Or Arky State, but they were playing Bama. uo will play an FCS opponent 2 straight years. Get over the scheduling crap. We are playing a top 25 team in the non con. I wonder how many Big XII teams, or Power 5 teams actually do that?

w0lfe

Wrangler
Aug 23, 2010
We could have scheduled Savannah State, but they were busy playing Miami. Or Arky State, but they were playing Bama. uo will play an FCS opponent 2 straight years. Get over the scheduling crap. We are playing a top 25 team in the non con. I wonder how many Big XII teams, or Power 5 teams actually do that?
What FCS team is uo playing?

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
From the article,

Talk about a wet paper bag. :rolleyes:

Btw, I didn't get the stats from an article and I don't know which one you are referencing.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2006
OU plays Army this year and UCLA may be the worst team in the Pac. FAU is a smidgen above FCS. Last year uo scheduled UTEP, the worst team in college football and Tulane. Please don't do the stupid we schedule worse than others. It's simply not true and when you really dig into scheduling, you'll see the big names control it and the non bluebloods that are strong programs like OSU can't get fair scheduling with anyone.

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
OU hasn't scheduled an FCS opponent since 2012. Texas hasn't played an FCS opponent since 2006.
This is true. However OU plays South Dakota and Missouri State over the next 2 years and have open dates in 2021, 2022, and 2023 so we will see how they fill those.

For all the pissing and moaning over the summer about how much "better" OU's non-con schedule is than ours, Boise is easily better than FAU, UCLA, and Army. TCU has the best non-con game in the conference vs. Ohio State but I think Boise is #2 (although I could be convinced Mississippi State is better).

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Talk about a wet paper bag. :rolleyes:

Btw, I didn't get the stats from an article and I don't know which one you are referencing.
See Post #2 in this thread, directly above my Post #3. The article just says what I was about to say to you, so I quoted it instead of re-writing the same thing.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
See Post #2 in this thread, directly above my Post #3. The article just says what I was about to say to you, so I quoted it instead of re-writing the same thing.
Ok, just noticed that...also maybe Bill got the idea for his column from something he read on this board? Who knows...

Oct 30, 2007
This is true. However OU plays South Dakota and Missouri State over the next 2 years and have open dates in 2021, 2022, and 2023 so we will see how they fill those.

For all the pissing and moaning over the summer about how much "better" OU's non-con schedule is than ours, Boise is easily better than FAU, UCLA, and Army. TCU has the best non-con game in the conference vs. Ohio State but I think Boise is #2 (although I could be convinced Mississippi State is better).
I didn't realize that OU had started to schedule FCS opponents in the coming years. I guess that isn't surprising though with a new head coach.

Scheduling can be hit or miss anyways. UCLA was a top 25 team coming off a 10 win season back when OU scheduled the series. Now they're struggling to go .500 and Florida Atlantic & Army are coming off of seasons with double digit wins.

Traditionally our cupcakes have been worse than OU & UT's cupcakes. I think part of that comes down to money. It's cheaper to buy a home game from an FCS opponent than a lower tier FBS opponent.

Nov 12, 2007
Tulsa, Okla.
Yeah OU has without question scheduled better than us overall. They always play at least 1 P5 opponent, and it's usually someone pretty good.

I don't have any problem with our schedule other than Missouri State. We should never play FCS teams ever. I think this year's non-conf would be perfect if we just played, say, Rice or someone like that instead of Missouri State.

Play two bad teams and one team that could beat you if you don't play well... like a mid-range power five team or a good G5 team like Boise.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Florida Atlantic.

Bama's non con schedule this year? Louisville, Arky State, and ....... The Citadel!!! Yep. Three donminating programs there!
Louisville (Sagarin #45) - Bama beat them 51-14
Arkansas State (Sagarin #94) - Bama beat them 57-7

Missouri State (Sagarin #168) - we won 58-17
South Alabama (Sagarin #142) - we won 55-13

So......Bama played a decent P5 school and stomped them, then played a D1 program ranked higher than anyone we've played so far, and beat them worse than we've beat anyone this season.

None of this really matters. All that matters is winning against everyone on our schedule.

My only point is that we shouldn't be strutting around like we're something, because we haven't played anyone worth bragging about. Again, its like a high school boy bragging that he beat up his 8 year old sister. Sorry, dude.....its not impressive. In fact, its sad.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Louisville (Sagarin #45) - Bama beat them 51-14
Arkansas State (Sagarin #94) - Bama beat them 57-7

Missouri State (Sagarin #168) - we won 58-17
South Alabama (Sagarin #142) - we won 55-13

So......Bama played a decent P5 school and stomped them, then played a D1 program ranked higher than anyone we've played so far, and beat them worse than we've beat anyone this season.

None of this really matters. All that matters is winning against everyone on our schedule.

My only point is that we shouldn't be strutting around like we're something, because we haven't played anyone worth bragging about. Again, its like a high school boy bragging that he beat up his 8 year old sister. Sorry, dude.....its not impressive. In fact, its sad.
And you claim not to be negative.:derp: The only point I'm making is that being a sad sack about this team this year is mindless and unrealistic. Certainly we haven't played anyone good yet, no one is saying we have, but neither have lots of teams and to be leading the nation in offense is always a good thing. If it continues after this game, it's a GREAT thing.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
And you claim not to be negative.:derp: The only point I'm making is that being a sad sack about this team this year is mindless and unrealistic. Certainly we haven't played anyone good yet, no one is saying we have, but neither have lots of teams and to be leading the nation in offense is always a good thing. If it continues after this game, it's a GREAT thing.
So tempering expectations until we have actual data points = being a sad sack. Got it.

By the way, I think we'll beat BSU by 10+ points if Cornelius continues to improve. I think the run game will do better than 3.7 per attempt. I think the defense will come up with a couple turnovers. Special teams will remain an adventure. If we lose, I suspect it will be special teams related.

But don't let that sway you from all your derp emoji and thumbsdown reactions.

Last edited:

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Why do our fans always act scared?? It's weird. It's fine to think it'll be a good game but geez. We have the most negative fan base in America. I think half our fan base needs a sports psychologist. Flat strange.
My only point is that we shouldn't be strutting around like we're something, because we haven't played anyone worth bragging about. .
Mostly I see rational people talking about a good upcoming match up. Maybe the "intensity setting" on my computer is too low. I looked under settings but can't find how to adjust that.

Any ideas?

Last edited: