Say it ain't so Pujols, say it ain't so.

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jun 30, 2004
Moore, OK
I thought Pujols liked being a Cardinal and would finish out his career as a cardinal. That looks unlikely now. He is the best player in the bigs and deserves to be paid like it. The Cardinals cannot afford to pay him that much.

That being said, where do you all think he will be next year? As a cardinal fan, I hope he leaves the division.

Jan 6, 2006
He won't be a free agent until 5 days after the final world series game. I'm still holding out hope that they get something worked out in that window.

Nov 7, 2006
Even is he was a free agent tomorrow, where else does he go? The Red Sox and Yankees don't need a first baseman. I can't see the Angels paying that much. The only team that could make sense would be the Mets....I just don't see him having much leverage here.

Jun 30, 2004
Moore, OK
Putzo,
I too am holding out hope that the Cardinals make something happen in the 5 days after the world series, but at what expense? The Cards cannot spend money like the red sox or yankees. If they pony up AROD tyoe money (which he deserves) then they would not be able to get any other decent players to surround him.

Keller
I do think the Angels make an offer. You make room for the best player in baseball. He could go to any big city market. Also the Cubs have moved a ton of money off their books recently. It would be my worse nightmare to have him go to the Cubs.

Minarets

Orange Bred
Sep 20, 2006
Owasso
Just because he will be a free agent does not mean that the Cardinals have lost him. I think he just wants to bring the threat of signing with other teams as leverage for negotiations with the Cardinals. I bet he'll hit free agency then re-sign with St. Louis.

Minarets

Orange Bred
Sep 20, 2006
Owasso
Even is he was a free agent tomorrow, where else does he go? The Red Sox and Yankees don't need a first baseman. I can't see the Angels paying that much. The only team that could make sense would be the Mets....I just don't see him having much leverage here.
The Yankees could sign him. Arod is getting older. Tex is capable of playing 3rd base.

DH - Arod
3B - Tex
1B - Pujols

*shudders*

Nov 7, 2006
I think the most important question regarding the dollars he's going to get pertains to the years. 10 year deal is what he wants? Isn't he 31? So a team is going to pay this guy at least $25 million per year.....but will he still be worth it 7 years into the deal? Can he even place 1B in years 8,9, and 10 in the NL when he's around age 40? I agree, an amazing player, but too many questions for 10 years.

Nov 7, 2006
I don't think Tex has ever played 3rd though right? Regardless, the Yankess aren't dumb enough to pay ARod his salary just to DH....oh wait, yes they are...

RoVerto Solo

Lifetime Ban
Banned
Feb 10, 2007
I understand he is asking for $300 million over 10 years. Is he worth it? No. The Cards would be more likely to give him $300 million over 5 years. ;)

Pujols turned 31 in January. He will begin his 11 MLB season with the Cards this year. There is too much uncertainty with his age to give him a 10 year contract.

Minarets

Orange Bred
Sep 20, 2006
Owasso
I think so, but noone is going to take on that contract and give back a return that Texas wants. Everyone is porbably going to show up to spring training, have a couple of meetings, mend fences, and go about playing baseball.

OSUCHOCTAW

Territorial Marshal
Jul 12, 2007
Stillwater, OK
OMG ASTROS!!!!!! I Hate PUJOLS but would accept him in Star uniform.

Houston may make a deal with him. They've cut TONS of salary with loss of Oswalt, Berkman, etc.

I think there is 5% of us getting a shot or even offer to him. I just don't want his ass in Chicago.