Sanders Turnovers Limit?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 6, 2010
Our offense has been a struggle, no doubt. And bottom line, OU is going to score some points. We will have to score with them. Which qb makes fewer mistakes will be a big factor....it's been a huge factor in the losses by both teams. So yes, still real concern with Sanders decision making and ball security.
One thing I noticed in the Kstate game is our players, most notably Chuba, seemed to really care. That one play where he came in for one carry late and just ran over a tackler comes to mind. I'm hoping our offense takes this week not only to heal, but also to realize how much they love it, and come into bedlam primed!

PokeJ

Sheriff
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
We should be very concerned that our offense only scored 13 points against a team giving up 25 points a game.....
True. Even without Wallace and Chuba for a portion, I would have liked to see us fair better. The fist half was hard to watch. We have only outscored the opponents average against WVU and UT.
OU out scored KSU and ISU season points allowed and lost. We have a D and won both games. Go figure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
OU out scored KSU and ISU season points allowed and lost. We have a D and won both games. Go figure.

Our defense is winning ball games right now. Would have beaten Texas if not for the gifts given by OSU.

Iowa State scores a TD from 26 yards out following an interception. (26 yards)

Texas scores a TD from 15 yards out following a fumble. (15 yards)

Texas scores a FG following an interception giving TX the ball at the 8 yard line. (5 yards)

Texas scores a FG following an interception giving TX the ball at the 20 yard line. (-3 yards)

That’s 20 points on four turnovers where the offenses had a total of 43 yards.

If our offense wasn't giving away silly points we are ranked #5 maybe #4 in the nation today and right in the middle of a playoff discussion.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
A better measure is not to just look at the TO, look at the fumbles.
Not just looking at the interceptions, also look at the near misses.....
Poor throw in the endzone, would have been an interception. The throw behind Stoner would have been in interception if the DB was in the right position...etc.

Sanders is turnover prone.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
A better measure is not to just look at the TO, look at the fumbles.
Not just looking at the interceptions, also look at the near misses.....
Poor throw in the endzone, would have been an interception. The throw behind Stoner would have been in interception if the DB was in the right position...etc.

Sanders is turnover prone.

Feb 28, 2007
History shows that our third string quarterback at the start of the season has turned out to be some of the best quarterbacks we’ve ever had (i.e. Weeden and Rudolph.). Gundy has shown an incredible lack of imagination on offense. No misdirection, no crossing routes, no slants. He makes Hubbard look average by being so predictable running the ball between the tackles on many first downs. No misdirection, no slants, no crossing routes. The only real success that Sanders has throwing the ball is when Tylan Wallace makes a spectacular catch. Defensive coordinators must love coaching against Gundy. Now I think that Sanders is so afraid to turn the ball over that he fails to spot open receivers down field because he doesn’t want to hold the ball and possibly get sacked. Illingworth is the only way we beat OU. But the only way Illingworth plays is if Sanders gets hurt. I would never wish that on anybody. But with Sanders at quarterback we have no chance.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
History shows that our third string quarterback at the start of the season has turned out to be some of the best quarterbacks we’ve ever had (i.e. Weeden and Rudolph.). Gundy has shown an incredible lack of imagination on offense. No misdirection, no crossing routes, no slants. He makes Hubbard look average by being so predictable running the ball between the tackles on many first downs. No misdirection, no slants, no crossing routes. The only real success that Sanders has throwing the ball is when Tylan Wallace makes a spectacular catch. Defensive coordinators must love coaching against Gundy. Now I think that Sanders is so afraid to turn the ball over that he fails to spot open receivers down field because he doesn’t want to hold the ball and possibly get sacked. Illingworth is the only way we beat OU. But the only way Illingworth plays is if Sanders gets hurt. I would never wish that on anybody. But with Sanders at quarterback we have no chance.
So, Illingworth has looked better in practice than Sanders? I recall Sanders and Brown struggled as first year players to learn the playbook in 2018. I guess you’re saying Shane already knows the whole playbook despite an abbreviated fall camp even though he can’t execute the QB run plays.

That’s good intel though. How did you pull it off since even Robert Allen doesn’t have that kind of access?

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
That is one of the strangest stats that has ever been stated on the website, but you are correct. Weeden and Rudolph were both third team as was Illingworth. I am afraid we are seeing Hubbard being relegated to the same kind of numbers Tyreek Hill got to enjoy in his season here.

Feb 28, 2007
So, Illingworth has looked better in practice than Sanders? I recall Sanders and Brown struggled as first year players to learn the playbook in 2018. I guess you’re saying Shane already knows the whole playbook despite an abbreviated fall camp even though he can’t execute the QB run plays.

That’s good intel though. How did you pull it off since even Robert Allen doesn’t have that kind of access?

I did not say Illingworth looked better in practice. Gundy, after Weeden came in when QB’s 1 and 2 were injured, was asked why hasn’t he played sooner, Gundy said he’s not a good practice player. When Weeden was told this he said as third string QB he only got 2 or 3 snaps per practice and it was hard to impress coaches with so few reps.
Personally, I don’t care how good a player is in practice, I only care how good he is in games. Football is not rocket science. Gundy thinks freshman can’t play at this level, yet Trevor Lawrence and Mason Rudolf (and others) have proven that theory wrong. Gundy could have given Sanders up to four games “live” experience his freshman year without losing any eligibility, but Gundy chose to keep him on the bench without a single “live” snap.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

I did not say Illingworth looked better in practice. Gundy, after Weeden came in when QB’s 1 and 2 were injured, was asked why hasn’t he played sooner, Gundy said he’s not a good practice player. When Weeden was told this he said as third string QB he only got 2 or 3 snaps per practice and it was hard to impress coaches with so few reps.
Personally, I don’t care how good a player is in practice, I only care how good he is in games. Football is not rocket science. Gundy thinks freshman can’t play at this level, yet Trevor Lawrence and Mason Rudolf (and others) have proven that theory wrong. Gundy could have given Sanders up to four games “live” experience his freshman year without losing any eligibility, but Gundy chose to keep him on the bench without a single “live” snap.

Let’s chase that coaching rabbit.

So, you don’t care how players practice. It’s game action that would determine your depth chart. I guess then you’d play all 120 (including Freshman) players in games to figure out who ultimately gets to start. How many games do you need to see out of each player? We have at least 5 QBs on the roster, maybe 6. Does each QB get a start, and does one bad start send you to the bottom of the depth chart? You know, one or more just may not be a good practice player.

Let’s dig even deeper. Every Tuesday you have to establish who is going to start the following Saturday because that’s how you determine practice reps. But since you don’t care how players practice, how do you divide up the reps in practice? Gonna give the bad practice player reps, or just the starters? But wait, who are the starters? For each position do you go alphabetic, draw straws, math quiz, size of their package? Wait, how do you determine positions if practice doesn’t matter? Anyone that’s 6’ and 200lbs could play CB, safety, RB, WR of even QB. After all, maybe they just don’t look good in practice at S but would be gangbusters in a game at QB.

So it’s game day and by some miracle you have the ball on Savannah State’s 35 down 7-6 with 5 seconds left. Clearly you need a FG to win but you’ve yet to determine who’s the best kicker in game situations. You do have an Olineman that played soccer when he was 8. Maybe he should get a crack at it.

Friggin genius. You never know what you’re gonna learn on a message board.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia

Close practice so we don't know who looked better.

So....far, Alex Cate had looked better than Weeden in Gundy's eye.

Beauty is in the eye of the holder, they said.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

Close practice so we don't know who looked better.

So....far, Alex Cate had looked better than Weeden in Gundy's eye.

Beauty is in the eye of the holder, they said.
Well, since Weeden couldn’t run our zone-read offense, he didn’t get many snaps in fall camp, almost zero during the season. It’s no wonder he didn’t get the start with ZRob out.

Feb 28, 2007
Three years ago at the signing event at GIA, I asked Gundy with the new redshirt rule if he planned on playing more than the usual number of freshman. He said “probably”. Then I don’t think he played a single freshman all year. That’s when we dropped our season tickets we had for almost 50 years. Now we go to Stillwater. Eat Hideaway pizza, watch the game, have a lot more fun and save a fortune. I’ll leave it to you young guys who know a lot more about football than I do. Gundy is nothing if not stubborn. Starting to remind me of Jim Stanley or Bob Simmons. I’ll always root for the Cowboys. But it’s silly of me to think he will change. Good luck. Go Pokes.