Sanders Turnovers Limit?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 28, 2007
I don't mind Sanders starting against K-State, but how many more turnovers is he allowed before we bring in Illingworth?

I would have to make a change after two more, but it doesn't have to be a permanent demotion.

It was shocking to me how we dominated Texas in stats and still lost because of turnovers.

Also, a former kicker told us he could kick the ball out of the end zone every time, but Gundy told him to kick it short so they could tackle him short of the 25 yd line. It usually works, but sometimes it gets you beat.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
He averages 2 per game so any more than 2 he should sit until we get behind, assuming the turnovers haven't already put us behind. At some point we either will have to accept the fact that he is going to turn the ball over and just move on as we are currently doing or decide that the lack of ball security will continue to cost games and make a change. Thats what the guy that makes all the money has to decide.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
So I'll be "that guy" and open a can of worms here. We remember the whole debacle around Reid losing his starting job? He went on to another university where they got in his head and made it about race. He later back tracked on that, but it was news.

Given the events this recent summer, around our program, and in the world, if Sanders gets replaced by Illingworth does it become an issue? I mean the big "it".

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
So I'll be "that guy" and open a can of worms here. We remember the whole debacle around Reid losing his starting job? He went on to another university where they got in his head and made it about race. He later back tracked on that, but it was news.

Given the events this recent summer, around our program, and in the world, if Sanders gets replaced by Illingworth does it become an issue? I mean the big "it".
The circumstances were different in that Gundy had just defended a news article where it was implied. So probably not but who knows especially as fragile as college students are nowadays

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
I don't mind Sanders starting against K-State, but how many more turnovers is he allowed before we bring in Illingworth?

I would have to make a change after two more, but it doesn't have to be a permanent demotion.

It was shocking to me how we dominated Texas in stats and still lost because of turnovers.

Also, a former kicker told us he could kick the ball out of the end zone every time, but Gundy told him to kick it short so they could tackle him short of the 25 yd line. It usually works, but sometimes it gets you beat.
Gundy likes analytics and those say 2-3 yard difference in starting drives at 25 makes big differences in scoring. Thus the kick-offs to try to get them behind the 25.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I don't mind gundy getting analytical on kickoffs and trying to pin the opponent inside the 25. BUT, there are times, based either on a certain score and point during a game, or the opponents ability at that position when you don't even question it...just kick the damn thing out of the end zone.
And as good as our defense has played I say why risk it at all at any point in the game.

As to turnovers. When it comes to unforced fumbles on a routine handoff, 1 is too many and should result in an immediate change.

Sep 23, 2010

I doubt it, but I wouldn't put it past some media members for sure. Always trying to create that angle.

Oct 30, 2007
I've been really worried about the turnovers, so I decided to do some research. I compared the turnover statistics for every Gundy era quarterback that started at least half a season. The results are really interesting.

Pass to interception ratio:
Rudolph - 56
Walsh - 47
Weeden - 41
Cornelius - 39
Chelf - 36
Robinson - 32
Reid - 27
Garman - 23
Sanders - 23

Fumbles lost per game:
Chelf - 0.03
Cornelius - 0.08
Walsh - 0.09
Weeden - 0.10
Reid - 0.11
Garman - 0.25
Rudolph - 0.26
Robinson - 0.27
Sanders - 0.57

At this point in his career, Spencer Sanders is by far the most turnover prone quarterback of the Gundy era. He's in his 3rd year on campus and he's played 14 games. The turnovers have to stop if he wants to stay on the field. Hopefully he'll figure things out, because he obviously has a lot of talent.

On a side note, I never really appreciated how secure guys like Chelf, Cornelius, & Walsh were running the ball.

Last edited:

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
I've been really worried about the turnovers, so I decided to do some research. I compared the turnover statistics for every Gundy era quarterback that started at least half a season. The results are really interesting.

Rudolph - 56
Walsh - 47
Weeden - 41
Cornelius - 39
Chelf - 36
Robinson - 32
Reid - 27
Garman - 23
Sanders - 23

Fumbles lost per game:
Chelf - 0.03
Cornelius - 0.08
Walsh - 0.09
Weeden - 0.10
Reid - 0.11
Garman - 0.25
Rudolph - 0.26
Robinson - 0.27
Sanders - 0.57

At this point in his career, Spencer Sanders is by far the most turnover prone quarterback of the Gundy era. He's in his 3rd year on campus and he's played 14 games. The turnovers have to stop if he wants to stay on the field. Hopefully he'll figure things out, because he obviously has a lot of talent.

On a side note, I never appreciate how secure guys like Chelf, Cornelius, & Walsh were running the ball.
Well thank the lord. I thought I was losing it. Usually I don’t get on to the players but I was losing patience with him, now with only 14 games, I know why.

Oct 30, 2007
Coach Gundy is in a really tough spot. He hates playing players that turn the ball over, but he also hates playing true freshman at quarterback. He also has to wonder if Sanders will transfer if he's benched. We would be in big trouble if that happened and Illingworth got hurt. Our lack of depth at this position is extremely concerning.

Sep 23, 2010
I hope he figures it out. He threw for 400yds. But his decision making is struggling. He makes some really good plays here and there.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007

Rudolph - 56
Walsh - 47
Weeden - 41
Cornelius - 39
Chelf - 36
Robinson - 32
Reid - 27
Garman - 23
Sanders - 23

Fumbles lost per game:
Chelf - 0.03
Cornelius - 0.08
Walsh - 0.09
Weeden - 0.10
Reid - 0.11
Garman - 0.25
Rudolph - 0.26
Robinson - 0.27
Sanders - 0.57

On a side note, I never really appreciated how secure guys like Chelf, Cornelius, & Walsh were running the ball.
In four losses Spencer Sanders had 14 turnovers (7 interceptions and 7 fumbles lost).

1604705966467.png

Sanders against ranked Opponents.

1604706819907.png

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
Coach Gundy is in a really tough spot. He hates playing players that turn the ball over, but he also hates playing true freshman at quarterback. He also has to wonder if Sanders will transfer if he's benched. We would be in big trouble if that happened and Illingworth got hurt. Our lack of depth at this position is extremely concerning.
I'm not sure there shouldn't be more concern if Illingworth transferred.

Oct 30, 2007
I'm not sure there shouldn't be more concern if Illingworth transferred.
That’s a good point. Sanders has already burned his redshirt, but Illingworth hasn’t. So it would be easier for him to transfer.

I don’t envy Coach Gundy on this. I’m sure it’s tough to keep multiple quarterbacks happy. That’s why we see so many transfers at the position. Hopefully Sanders and Illingworth will stick around to battle it out for the starting role.

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
That’s a good point. Sanders has already burned his redshirt, but Illingworth hasn’t. So it would be easier for him to transfer.

I don’t envy Coach Gundy on this. I’m sure it’s tough to keep multiple quarterbacks happy. That’s why we see so many transfers at the position.
NCAA grants extra year of eligibility to fall sport athletes, addresses scholarships in light of COVID-19

https://www.ocregister.com/2020/08/...-addresses-scholarships-in-light-of-covid-19/