Rose has a thorn... I mean, a point.

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

jakeman

Unhinged Idiot
A/V Subscriber
Apr 4, 2005
Limbo
They can put him in after he dies. The lifetime ban will be over then.

I've said this, and been chastised for being mean spirited.

I think Joe Jackson should also be in the HoF. It was a lifetime ban. He's dead. Put him on the ballot. If he gets elected, put him in.

Same with Pete. When he's no longer among the living, put him on the ballot. If he gets the votes, put him in the hall.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
It was my understanding he never bet on games that involved his team. If that is the case, then I think the penalty is a bit excessive. If he bet on his own team, then he should stay banned.
He never bet them to lose, or shaved runs.

Not really the point. He bet on baseball. End of story.
This. Never bet against his team

Deere Poke

I'd rather be in the woods
A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Pete originally claimed that he didn't bet on baseball, then claimed he didn't bet on the Reds. Nothing he says is credible.

Forever is forever.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Nov 6, 2010
Pete originally claimed that he didn't bet on baseball, then claimed he didn't bet on the Reds. Nothing he says is credible.

Forever is forever.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Meh, rules can be changed, people do it all the time. That said, if he did bet on his own games, then I don't have a lot of pity for him.

As a side note, has anyone here ever bet a baseball game?? Lamest form of gambling I've ever experienced.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
Bet on baseball games (even his own team) as a Reds player and as a Reds Mgr.

Edit: when starting this thread, I thought I had heard (or remembered incorrectly) that he did NOT bet on games he was playing in and/or managed... I was mistaken. Maybe his transgressions were substantially greater than the recent Astros players. :blink:
He did bet on his team. but to WIN. I think it would be much worse if he had bet for his team to lose those games. for it to be detrimental to baseball he would have to have co-conspirators on opposing teams to throw games.

Deere Poke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
He did bet on his team. but to WIN. I think it would be much worse if he had bet for his team to lose those games. for it to be detrimental to baseball he would have to have co-conspirators on opposing teams to throw games.
We have no idea what he did. They only got a few betting sheets from one bookie. Whats known is he was betting and 100's of thousands of dollars in debt to the mob. Don't think for a minute he didn't throw a game or shave some points to appease them from their collection practices.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
We have no idea what he did. They only got a few betting sheets from one bookie. Whats known is he was betting and 100's of thousands of dollars in debt to the mob. Don't think for a minute he didn't throw a game or shave some points to appease them from their collection practices.
There is no evidence he shaved points or threw any games. Yes betting on baseball is bad but if you can forgive the Astros cheating and any and all steroid cheats. Then I don't see much difference in what he did.

Deere Poke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
There is no evidence he shaved points or threw any games. Yes betting on baseball is bad but if you can forgive the Astros cheating and any and all steroid cheats. Then I don't see much difference in what he did.
He was massively in debt to people who break your friggin legs if you don't pay. If that doesn't work they fit you in a pair of concrete shoes and toss you in the bay. Only one book turned up in a postal investigation not related to Rose.

When your in that kind of debt to those types of people I wouldn't rule out him doing anything.

Nov 6, 2010
He was massively in debt to people who break your friggin legs if you don't pay. If that doesn't work they fit you in a pair of concrete shoes and toss you in the bay. Only one book turned up in a postal investigation not related to Rose.

When your in that kind of debt to those types of people I wouldn't rule out him doing anything.
And thus the rule I guess. You guys have convinced me, maybe let him in posthumously, but otherwise, no.

naffigator

I am SuperKing!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 2, 2008
In a burnin' ring of fire.
Yes, betting on baseball is against MLB rules. Rose did that, however there was and is no evidence that he shaved points or threw games. And that's not just Rose's word but results of an actual MLB investigation. Astros cheated to create an advantage over other teams to help themselves win games. I find that much more egregious than betting. The 1919 White Sox were banned for life not for betting on the games but for purposely tanking plays to lose games or shave points to benefit the professional gamblers who paid them to do it. If you want to compare it to other crimes. Pete Rose killed somebody in self defense, the 1919 White Sox were murder for hire guns, and the Astros killed their girlfriend's current husband so they could be with her.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Yes, betting on baseball is against MLB rules. Rose did that, however there was and is no evidence that he shaved points or threw games. And that's not just Rose's word but results of an actual MLB investigation. Astros cheated to create an advantage over other teams to help themselves win games. I find that much more egregious than betting. The 1919 White Sox were banned for life not for betting on the games but for purposely tanking plays to lose games or shave points to benefit the professional gamblers who paid them to do it. If you want to compare it to other crimes. Pete Rose killed somebody in self defense, the 1919 White Sox were murder for hire guns, and the Astros killed their girlfriend's current husband so they could be with her.
There's no evidence that Shoeless Joe ever tanked anything. He his .375, committed no errors, and threw a runner out at the plate. But he took the money.

The Dowd investigation was never completed because Rose admitted to betting on baseball and accepted ineligibility.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id...on-suit-john-dowd-dismissed-agreement-reached
As ESPN's Outside the Lines reported first on July 31, Dowd's defense filed a sworn statement by an unidentified woman alleging she had a sexual relationship with Rose in the 1970s that began before she turned 16 -- the age of legal consent in their home state of Ohio. In court documents, Rose acknowledged the relationship but said he believed it began in 1975, when she was 16. He turned 34 that April and was a star player for the Reds and a married father of two children.